Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 01:54 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Agree it will generate buzz in West CC, but it’s not as if this squat, featureless pile of glass was the only design choice.

Nah, I saw it. But I typically reserve judgment until a building actually goes up.

Didn’t mean to divert the thread this much. Maybe we can return to all the positive changes the city is experiencing.
Keeping Aramark jobs within the city limits seems pretty positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I guess keeping Aramark jobs in the city isn't a priority to posters. It's an international company. They can literally go anywhere. But it's wrecking your view.
Lol, what? I never even implied that. They could have stayed in the city and built a building that didn't look as ugly as the one they are building now. It's an eyesore on what was an awesome view of Center City from the boardwalk.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Lol, what? I never even implied that. They could have stayed in the city and built a building that didn't look as ugly as the one they are building now. It's an eyesore on what was an awesome view of Center City from the boardwalk.
The jobs are more important. Period.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Echoing kyb01, they could have, sure. But if the choice is between their moving into a boring building here and a beautiful one in some other city, I'll gladly take the boring building here.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
. . . if the choice is between their moving into a boring building here and a beautiful one in some other city, I'll gladly take the boring building here.
You keep missing the point. That was not the only choice. They could have stayed in our own city in a beautiful building located right on the Schuylkill Banks. Picture that.

Quote:
I’m not sure how people are unable (or unwilling?) to reconcile this.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM

I like this idea: WiFi? Street repairs? Parks? Cities let residents choose how to spend their tax dollars - Philly

For those outside the firewall:

”The gnarled roots of centenarian trees push through concrete sidewalks throughout the neighborhoods of Freehold Borough in Monmouth County, N.J. The municipality once helped pay the costs of fixing the walkways, but scrapped the program a decade ago to save money.

Last fall, the sidewalk repair program got new life in an unusual way: Borough officials set $200,000 aside in their capital budget and asked their 12,000 residents how to spend it.

For a week in September, they let residents as young as 14 cast ballots online or by paper at the municipal building and community events. In the end, 346 people — on par with off-year election turnout — chose a new pedestrian bridge, more downtown lighting, and the sidewalk repair plan.”

Apparently Chicago has used “participatory budgeting” since 2009.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:08 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Parking Garage Has Disappeared Across From Lombard Swim Club - OCF Realty

Disappointing project for a prime piece of land. Hopefully we will get a project more exciting than townhouses on the remaining plots in CC.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/14/...ott-gayborhood

Parker Hotel to reopen as a Marriott. Glad this project is finally wrapping up.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You keep missing the point. That was not the only choice. They could have stayed in our own city in a beautiful building located right on the Schuylkill Banks. Picture that.

I’m not sure how people are unable (or unwilling?) to reconcile this.
You should know I'm something of an aesthete.

Of course they had that choice.

But having blown that, isn't it more important that they remained here?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You should know I'm something of an aesthete.

Of course they had that choice.

But having blown that, isn't it more important that they remained here?
Yes. But the point of the posts has been aesthetics, divorced from economics.

If we’re going in that direction, however, FMC and Comcast are examples of businesses that have been able to benefit the city both economically and aesthetically. Too bad we are forced to live with Aramark’s pile of **** (I mean glass) on the riverfront for a long, long time.

I will make this my last post on the matter. (This time I mean it. )

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-15-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia