Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 04:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times

Advertisements

Change of heart. MIA is back on the BFP for the foreseeable future: http://6abc.com/entertainment/made-i...rkway/3810298/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
King of Prussia

Glen Mills

Those are the two that are in full development mode. West Chester would be amazing, but that is a stretch at this point.
We do know that SEPTA is extending the Media/Elwyn line to Wawa, PA. Restoring rail service to Wawa would be a big step in the right direction as it will open up the possibility for future rail expansion to West Chester.

Personally I would really love to see rail service restored to Reading on the Manayunk/Norristown Line. It's the 2nd largest city in the Greater Philadelphia area and it doesn't even offer rail service.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:46 PM

85 posts, read 86,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a new wave of news updates on the Made in America situation, and now the mayor is apologizing for miscommunication, so maybe there is a possibility that the event will stay on the Parkway, or the different parties can at least agree on a new venue?
I also thought it was silly that city would state the event is no longer vital to the city's tourism draw... conceited much? I love Philadelphia, but it's not New York. The city needs every major event it can get to stay relevant, New York doesn't need to do that.

Jay Z's letter might have been overkill, but it did spark a debate over the possible cancellation of the event.

The Summit issue was negligence on the city's side, and poor communication as you stated.

Nutter was a very good mayor (visionary by Philadelphia standards), since his departure, the administration has been unconcerned with raising Philadelphia's vision and profile. Nutter knew we were in a league with DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Kenney... idk what he thinks, but not that, and the rest of the administration doesn't help much.

If Nutter had lost the summit or any other major event due to the city's wrong doings, he would fight to get it back. Kenney has a s*** happens view, which might work in small-town West Virginia, but not Philadelphia.
Which is very dissapointing cause he is homegrown Philadelphian.

Nutter was willing to do whatever to bring jobs and companies to Philadelphia.

Kenney is too soft in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Change of heart. MIA is back on the BFP for the foreseeable future: http://6abc.com/entertainment/made-i...rkway/3810298/
Haha, klueless Kenney backpedaling like a dope. You can't even make this stuff up.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wow, a smart decision is possible! I bet all the uptight neighbors are having a terrible morning.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

They're both homegrown and, oddly, have things in common. They're about a year apart in age being born at the height of the Boomer years(1957/58). Both were students at St Joe's Prep at the same time. And both started their City Council tenures in the same year(1992).

Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 AM

192 posts, read 160,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

Don't take this the wrong way, but imo being "homegrown" isn't a good distinction. It generally means these guys come up through the corrupt local ward/feeder system - landing as puppets in City Council at the hands of the true power brokers. Basically, the faces may change, but the politics stays the same which is partly why our city has stagnated for half a century.

It also means you probably haven't lived anywhere else (Nutter went to Penn, Kenney to La Salle) to experience different cultures, cities, attitudes, points of view - which imo is essential to a well-rounded world view (especially if you can live in another country for several years). Issues like litter, street sweeping, the worship of parking, the odd tax structure - often appalling and regressive to out-of-towners like me - are treated with shrugs and a "that's just the way it is in Philly" attitude by local Pols.

What this council needs is less "homegrown" and more new blood with bigger ideas not tied to a power broker's myopic agenda.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but imo being "homegrown" isn't a good distinction. It generally means these guys come up through the corrupt local ward/feeder system - landing as puppets in City Council at the hands of the true power brokers. Basically, the faces may change, but the politics stays the same which is partly why our city has stagnated for half a century.

It also means you probably haven't lived anywhere else (Nutter went to Penn, Kenney to La Salle) to experience different cultures, cities, attitudes, points of view - which imo is essential to a well-rounded world view (especially if you can live in another country for several years). Issues like litter, street sweeping, the worship of parking, the odd tax structure - often appalling and regressive to out-of-towners like me - are treated with shrugs and a "that's just the way it is in Philly" attitude by local Pols.

What this council needs is less "homegrown" and more new blood with bigger ideas not tied to a power broker's myopic agenda.
Bravo! Fully agree. Nutter was an anomaly IMO.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:

I wrote an essay for The Philadelphia Inquirer's long-defunct Metro Commentary Page in 2005 in which I argued that the following amendment be added to the City Charter:

"No person shall be eligible to seek or hold public office in the City of Philadelphia unless he or she shall have spent at least ten years residing outside the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Delaware prior to seeking office."

Digby Baltzell in his famous book also noted that many of the Philadelphians who left a real mark on the civic culture were "auslanders" (people who grew up here but whose families come from outside the region), "outsiders" (people with no connections to the city's various Establishments, regardless where born) or "cut-flowers" (people who grew up elsewhere and migrated to the city in their adult years. I fall into that last category).

Despite working his way up through the ward system, I believe Michael Nutter was really an "outsider," and his rocky relations with City Council only confirm my view.

The city's two great reform Mayors of the 1950s, and its first Mayor to have become Governor of Pennsylvania since 1911, were all either auslanders or cut-flowers; none of them was born here.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:

I will say what I always say: make the generational switch by the combo of voting and running for office. But, oops, lots of millennials, for example, don't want to do even the first thing. Want new blood? We need to put it there. Stop putting late age
Boomers in office because they're the only choice. I'm not addressing you directly but in general.

How pathetic is it that some poll states that only 28% of millennials definitely plan on voting in November?

Meanwhile there were a bunch of "actors" dressing up like Handmaids, yesterday, thinking that matters to Pence or Berletta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia