Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 07:05 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Upcoming action at Broad & Pine and Broad & Carpenter...

Carl Dranoff plans 176 more apartments on South Broad

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220919.html

Catty-corner from Symphony House, Dranoff’s first building on South Broad Street, he plans a 145,000-square-foot, 15-story apartment building at Broad and Pine. This project is further along in the development process, and would have more of a neoclassical design to match the older office buildings on South Broad.

One of the buildings would be an 85,000-square-foot tower, with 85 units and ground floor retail at the corner of Broad and Carpenter. The lot is the former home of a retro-themed McDonald’s, but the owner of the site did not renew the restaurant’s lease in 2021.

Dranoff is partnering on the site with the owner, Jeff Herskowitz, whose background is in New Jersey retail development.

Applications for the Broad and Carpenter building have not been submitted yet, and renderings of the architectural design are not yet available. Dranoff does not anticipate the need for zoning relief and says the project will break ground in 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Good. I didn't realize it was him sitting on the McDonald's property too. He needs to hurry up and do something with these lots. The Starbucks and McDonald's were functional things people used, and now are just dead properties waiting for redevelopment.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Good. I didn't realize it was him sitting on the McDonald's property too. He needs to hurry up and do something with these lots. The Starbucks and McDonald's were functional things people used, and now are just dead properties waiting for redevelopment.
You don't know much about the development game, my man.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am confident Dranoff will move forward with these plans. He focused on 1 project at a time. Arthaus is nearly complete, so next is Broad & Pine (former Starbucks), which should break ground in a few months. I hope he doesn't wait too long for the Broad & Carpenter project though.

My irritation is with Goldenberg group. A whole bunch of press for their shining project at Broad & Lombard, and now silence again and little activity on site...

Old 09-19-2022, 08:58 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
I’m willing to wait a little bit as long as it is something good for the site at Broad and Carpenter. That stretch of Broad from South to Washington is slowly starting to get better. It’s crazy to me that it ever got to the state it was in before these new projects.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I’m willing to wait a little bit as long as it is something good for the site at Broad and Carpenter. That stretch of Broad from South to Washington is slowly starting to get better. It’s crazy to me that it ever got to the state it was in before these new projects.
I think people always underestimate how down on its back most of inner-city Philadelphia actually was through the 70s/80s/90s. Fast food drive thru’s were probably considered progress over what was there before. From Snyder to Girard, it’s pretty wild how many blocks have been redone or in the progress of being redone on Broad.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:48 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am confident Dranoff will move forward with these plans. He focused on 1 project at a time. Arthaus is nearly complete, so next is Broad & Pine (former Starbucks), which should break ground in a few months. I hope he doesn't wait too long for the Broad & Carpenter project though.

My irritation is with Goldenberg group. A whole bunch of press for their shining project at Broad & Lombard, and now silence again and little activity on site...
In contrast to some of the other big developers hereabouts, I've never known Dranoff to not finish a project once he's announced it.

What we should all worry about is that the hole Toll Brothers dug on Jewelers Row remains a hole now. It walked away from another project where it tore down a historic structure after announcing its intent to build something on its site. Something did get built on the site of the Society Hill Playhouse eventually, but it wasn't Toll who built it.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In contrast to some of the other big developers hereabouts, I've never known Dranoff to not finish a project once he's announced it.

What we should all worry about is that the hole Toll Brothers dug on Jewelers Row remains a hole now. It walked away from another project where it tore down a historic structure after announcing its intent to build something on its site. Something did get built on the site of the Society Hill Playhouse eventually, but it wasn't Toll who built it.
I don't understand why Toll continues to sit on that land.
I know they are public, but it's ~100 condos in an extremely desirable part of CC, and it would be the only largescale condo project (since The Laurel, Arthaus and 2100 Hamilton are nearing the finish line and all 50%+ sold. It's not this project is a massive town center (like what they built in Newtown Square).

The latest design is also trash, but that's a whole different issue.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:15 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
What happened with Jewelers Row is really an embarrassment, and of course Toll Brothers won't be held accountable for their selfish disregard of the city's cultural fabric.

After the passage of a year of beginning work/demolition at a development site and no resulting progress, the city should have the legal authority to tax such properties at like 10 times the normal rate (maybe 100 times in deep-pocketed Toll's case).

Toll can no longer use the pandemic as an excuse; that's complete BS when every other large project in Center City has not faced the same delay.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:52 PM

Yeah Toll Bros. sucks for the Jewelers row thing. I read before that they have different divisions of builders and their 'city living' division is building the apartment tower on North Broad. Oppose to the Luxury-Living division that is suppose to be build the condo tower.

One of the tallest buildings in the city under construction got a crane yesterday on 12th street. It's just funny how Philly could have a dozen 300ft+ buildings under construction and people will be like 'Philly's dead'. And somewhere like Nashville has the same amount and people will be like "Nashville is NYC of the 21st century" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia