Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 01:21 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So exciting to see this happening (finally).

Permits Issued for Alexander Calder “Sanctuary” on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...anklin-parkway

Hell yea. That's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 06:29 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
University City Townhomes protesters interrupt Penn president’s speech

https://www.inquirer.com/news/univer...-20220830.html

Imagine if these "activists" put this much effort into finding the residents new homes? Or marching to city hall (where the real blame lives) instead of insisting Penn fix everything?

I don't mean to sound like our crime poster MPK21, but I can't get over that a majority of the protestors in the pictures are young white people. Even more amusing, one of the protestors quoted graduated from Penn with a double major, and now loathes the university she attended because of "penntrification". I'm sure she will sleep well tonight in her expensive Old City loft knowing she is helping those in need...

Once again, a real problem turns into a circus of manipulation, brainwash and misinformation, the "activists" arrive, the city escapes any blame, and the residents will soon be moved and forgotten...

Old 08-31-2022, 05:31 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
University City Townhomes protesters interrupt Penn president’s speech

https://www.inquirer.com/news/univer...-20220830.html

Imagine if these "activists" put this much effort into finding the residents new homes? Or marching to city hall (where the real blame lives) instead of insisting Penn fix everything?

I don't mean to sound like our crime poster MPK21, but I can't get over that a majority of the protestors in the pictures are young white people. Even more amusing, one of the protestors quoted graduated from Penn with a double major, and now loathes the university she attended because of "penntrification". I'm sure she will sleep well tonight in her expensive Old City loft knowing she is helping those in need...

Once again, a real problem turns into a circus of manipulation, brainwash and misinformation, the "activists" arrive, the city escapes any blame, and the residents will soon be moved and forgotten...
D*mn, Chris, I don't want to sound like MPK21 either, but you're more right than wrong about the SJWs.

I recently moved to an apartment on Germantown's (nicer, generally but not uniformly more affluent) west side (where almost all of the neighborhood's white residents live, but not all of them: Rachel Street [Hestia Construction], the opera singer-turned-house flipper who I've written about on several occasions, sent one of her employees and her two adopted sons to move a sofabed into my apartment, and she is moving into and rehabbing this house in my old East Germantown Census tract; I SO wanted to feature it when it went on the market, but it sold in two weeks. Now I know who bought it), and I joked to several of my Black friends when I moved in that I knew there were white progressives living on my block because I counted three Black Lives Matter yard signs as I walked up the block to my digs from the bus stop.

And I got to see some of this in action as well at a Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing once where a project Ori Feibush wanted to build in Point Breeze was coming up for a zoning variance. The activist group voicing the loudest objections to it consisted mainly of young white folks, one of whom rented from Feibush in a building the next block down from the site. One older Black woman who was waiting to testify in support went out to smoke a cigarette; as she left, I heard her say, "Well, if you all are acting up like this, I'd build all around you, too."

But City Hall, I guess, makes for a less appealing target than a rich, well-endowed university — though what Penn has to do with UC Townhomes, I cannot figure out. Another option a lot of those protesting could probably do: Crowdfund an offer to buy the property from its owner and keep the affordable housing that way.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:12 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I joked to several of my Black friends when I moved in that I knew there were white progressives living on my block because I counted three Black Lives Matter yard signs as I walked up the block to my digs from the bus stop.

Putting a Black Lives Matter flag in your window or yard sign has become the left's 'Make America Great Again' hat. There's someone on my block who has a BLM sign in their window, and they seemingly refuse to ever clean up in front of their house. It really pisses me off that I need to do it. It's like your such a morally outstanding person who need to put a sign in your window to tell everyone!

Quote:

But City Hall, I guess, makes for a less appealing target than a rich, well-endowed university — though what Penn has to do with UC Townhomes, I cannot figure out. Another option a lot of those protesting could probably do: Crowdfund an offer to buy the property from its owner and keep the affordable housing that way.

I'm honestly a bit terrified about how stupid Gen Z is. Of course, every generation probably repeats it about the subsequent generation, but other generation's didn't grow up having the "loser generation" as their parents, Trump as their president, a once in a century health crisis that half the people treated as fake, and Twitch/TikTok as their place to meet and learn social skills.

The destruction of the FDR construction equipment is such a concrete example of how privileged and entitled a place "Philly DSA" protests originate from.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:12 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Putting a Black Lives Matter flag in your window or yard sign has become the left's 'Make America Great Again' hat. There's someone on my block who has a BLM sign in their window, and they seemingly refuse to ever clean up in front of their house. It really pisses me off that I need to do it. It's like your such a morally outstanding person who need to put a sign in your window to tell everyone!
I wish I could rep you. That is exactly my thoughts, and exactly what I see in my neighborhood. The people that have these signs are never outside their home, and they contribute the least amongst the neighbors in the area. But hey, their contribution of hanging a sign out front is testament of their commitment to righteousness.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:29 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Virtue-signaling is unfortunately the new ”activism,” and it's found across the political spectrum. It's basically passive-aggressive politics that abdicates people of meaningful and pragmatic engagement. Social media has made it far worse.

I'd absolutely agree that it's one of the worst trends of our time.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:27 PM

A potential scary political future...

A founder of the progressive Reclaim Philadelphia is eyeing a City Council run against Mark Squilla

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220901.html

Old 09-01-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I'm honestly a bit terrified about how stupid Gen Z is. Of course, every generation probably repeats it about the subsequent generation, but other generation's didn't grow up having the "loser generation" as their parents, Trump as their president, a once in a century health crisis that half the people treated as fake, and Twitch/TikTok as their place to meet and learn social skills.

The destruction of the FDR construction equipment is such a concrete example of how privileged and entitled a place "Philly DSA" protests originate from.
I'm not sure how Gen Z and Generation Alpha (coming next) will turn out.
I'm sure every generation thinks it's the best, but I say we peaked with Millennials (my group). We helped lead the urban resurgence, more progressive (but not crazy), we work hard, generally successful, and we came of age just before social media took over.

I fear the new generation will take a nose dive because of what you mentioned, and add a heightened entitlement, wokeness, social justice crap, and general anti-business sentiments.

* Of course I am not speaking for everyone in said generations, just a general vibe.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:42 PM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times
Quote:
A potential scary political future...

A founder of the progressive Reclaim Philadelphia is eyeing a City Council run against Mark Squilla

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220901.html
God help us. I'm a liberal Dem. But I think these progressives are just as responsible for the maga nightmare as tRump is.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:19 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how Gen Z and Generation Alpha (coming next) will turn out.
I'm sure every generation thinks it's the best, but I say we peaked with Millennials (my group). We helped lead the urban resurgence, more progressive (but not crazy), we work hard, generally successful, and we came of age just before social media took over.

I fear the new generation will take a nose dive because of what you mentioned, and add a heightened entitlement, wokeness, social justice crap, and general anti-business sentiments.

* Of course I am not speaking for everyone in said generations, just a general vibe.
Most of them will mellow out as they get older. Consider what a lot of us Boomers were doing in the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia