Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times

Advertisements

Don't even get me started on the guns. The fact that people who were either enslaved or robbed of their homelands or oppressed by them embrace the very guns that oppressed them in the first place is just ridiculous.

And you're definitely right about the suburban kids trying to act ghetto. It's hilarious to me the things these kids have co-opted. You even see it on TV, on commercials, in movies. Also, what's with people from the Midwest talking with Philly accents in movies or on TV or in commercials, etc? Is it laziness or something? I mean, I speak the way I do because I was taught how to speak that way by people who spoke that way themselves.

By the way, I didn't answer the first question in your previous post because I'm kind of getting tired of coming across as bashing certain areas that I happen to love. Believe me though, places are definitely getting worse because of Philly.

As for the poverty rate.. well it's very simple. Those differences have always existed in this country and were imported by the society the Europeans who "colonized" places lived in and benefited from. A lot of things have made it worse, namely influences from the wrong kind of people, which led to this violent BS so many places are now plagued with.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM

711 posts, read 1,499,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It seems like the big elephant in the room is Black males killing other Black males which makes up the overwhelming majority of the murders in Philadelphia. The unwritten "No Snitching" policy that is tolerated in the poorer neighborhoods of this city is not helping but destroying the community(especially the black community). The residents in these high crime neighborhoods need to stand up and take their neighborhoods back from these drug dealers/thugs who are ruining the community. If that happened I guarantee the homicide rate would drop dramatically. The Mayor and the Police Department can only do so much, its up to the residents of these communities to stand up and say "That's Enough!"
The big elephant in the room is that the shootings seem to always happen in the ghetto where the homes are all boarded up.

Black males dont seem to be killing other Black males out in the nice parts of the suburbs.

Am I wrong?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
The big elephant in the room is that the shootings seem to always happen in the ghetto where the homes are all boarded up.

Black males dont seem to be killing other Black males out in the nice parts of the suburbs.

Am I wrong?
No, you are right but the "No snitching policy" that takes place is these dangerous neighborhoods is playing a key role in destroying the community. I know some people might label me as an "Uncle Tom" for saying this but I believe the Black urban community in Philly needs to build a better communication and trust with the police and start "snitching" on people who commit violent homicides. Being silent and not giving the police information on a murder even though you know who did it makes you a coward! The law abiding citizens make up the majority of these ghettos and shouldn't continue to let the small percentage of gang/drug dealers terrorize their neighborhoods. If everyone banded together and said "That Enough!", then they could take back these neighborhoods and make them a lot safer then they are now.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If everyone banded together and said "That Enough!", then they could take back these neighborhoods and make them a lot safer then they are now.
Why has that never happened in the last 25 years?

Who wants to take back a neighborhood full of boarded up homes?

And why is there that type of poverty in a country that just spent $662 billion on the military industrial complex a few weeks ago?

Congress clears $662 billion defense bill

^If our country was really in a recession do you think we would have an extra $662 billion?

News Flash: Powerful people make alot of money of poverty.

98% of the drug dealers in the hood get killed or go to jail.

Those "ghetto people" really dont make any money of all the drugs and guns.

There are no weapon manufacturers like Lockheed Martin in the ghetto.

Since when did cocaine start to grow in the ghetto's of North East America?

Tough Questions...

Simple Answers...

Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Why has that never happened in the last 25 years?

Who wants to take back a neighborhood full of boarded up homes?

And why is there that type of poverty in a country that just spent $662 billion on the military industrial complex a few weeks ago?

Congress clears $662 billion defense bill

^If our country was really in a recession do you think we would have an extra $662 billion?

News Flash: Powerful people make alot of money of poverty.

98% of the drug dealers in the hood get killed or go to jail.

Those "ghetto people" really dont make any money of all the drugs and guns.

There are no weapon manufacturers like Lockheed Martin in the ghetto.

Since when did cocaine start to grow in the ghetto's of North East America?

Tough Questions...

Simple Answers...
You have to understand that I was just giving my input on what could be done to help reduce the homicides in some of these dangerous neighborhoods. I could go much further and get really deep into the factors of why poverty continues to affect one group disproportionally more than another group but that would get way off topic from the original thread title. So I won't go any deeper than what I already said.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:

Am I wrong?
no you are not.. Because they are not unemployed, drug dealing blacks. They are hard working, good citizens blacks. BIG difference

Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
No, you are right but the "No snitching policy" that takes place is these dangerous neighborhoods is playing a key role in destroying the community. I know some people might label me as an "Uncle Tom" for saying this but I believe the Black urban community in Philly needs to build a better communication and trust with the police and start "snitching" on people who commit violent homicides. Being silent and not giving the police information on a murder even though you know who did it makes you a coward! The law abiding citizens make up the majority of these ghettos and shouldn't continue to let the small percentage of gang/drug dealers terrorize their neighborhoods. If everyone banded together and said "That Enough!", then they could take back these neighborhoods and make them a lot safer then they are now.
know how ya get em to snitch? Put out a reward. Bingo. Its done all the time in Philly and works every time. People will rat out their moms for $

Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I could go much further and get really deep into the factors of why poverty continues to affect one group disproportionally more than another group but that would get way off topic from the original thread title.
How would that get off topic?

That's what forums like this are for, Problem, Reaction, Solution.

The North East could be such a nice place if we could get our problems with the ghetto's under control.

Speak up, what are you trying to say?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 AM

240 posts, read 558,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post

And you're definitely right about the suburban kids trying to act ghetto. It's hilarious to me the things these kids have co-opted. You even see it on TV, on commercials, in movies.
I hate this aspect of the city. The college I attend is full of this. Those people were raised in a nice environment and received a better education then many in Philly, but yet choose to act like fool.

I'm also just want to talk a little about all of the cities gentrification projects. I have no problem obviously with pouring some money into these god awful areas to help them, but I think the city is taking it too far. Think about Northern Liberties. They gentrified that area and now it's so expensive! More expensive then a lot of average people can afford, let alone the poorer population that used to live there. Block by block in the northeast and in west Philly the city is trying to "push out crime" but they're also pushing out the poor, some of whom are decent hard working people(people we depend on). I personally think that has something to do with the crime rates.

I also think it has something to do with the intimidation. No where else have I personally experienced the intimidation of youth from other neighborhoods. They come into center city and try to scare people. I'm sure they actually do scare a lot of people. And then run away laughing?

Yeah this might have gone a little off topic...

ALSO: What exactly is a Philadelphia accent, I've been here for awhile now and the only thing I've noticed is people say "water" differently and also that they use the word "anymore" completely incorrectly.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Murder rates can fool you. Once upon a time in a borough outside Philadelphia a guy killed his wife and kids, since it was a small borough with only a couple thousand people the murder rate was higher than any major city in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia