Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I had my house broken into once, and I called the police another time to break up an argument outside my apartment because I didn't want it escalating, at least not on my block. Cops arrived in minutes. I've never had a problem with the Philly police. They have an incredibly difficult and dangerous job. I have nothing but respect for the people who would step into that kind of a position.
absolutely! Never said that but I do know that a lot of the Philly cops have lost most interest in their job and are apathetic at doing it properly.. Most are just collecting a paycheck and waiting for retirement, sorry to say. This comes from the circle of Philly friends we have, not from me. They arrest a guy and he is out on the street in hours giving them the finger at the corner as they drive by. That would make anyone pissed.. I know it would me..
Let me tel you a story about us and Philly cops. a few years ago my wife got hit in her car by 2 West Philly ... speeding in a 15 mph school zone. After the accident and after 911 was called, she sat there blocking traffic for 2 hours waiting for the Police. After he got there, he did not even both to write anything down from her side of the story, but instead only used the people who hit her story(which was 100% incorrect) Then 2 years later we get sued by THREE people (again who hit MY wife) for $150k. They were not hurt in any way at all. I was there.. Our lawyer(CC Philly lawyer) said this is a normal reaction to NJ drivers like my wife who is dressed to a T, and very attractive.. He said they assumed she was some rich NJ snob and they hate that.. (Imagine that).. Thats great police work, huh? And people wonder why I am bitter? Oh and btw- our Police friends said don't even bother even attempting to call the captain and dispute the police report.. they will never change it.. Just fight it in court.. More wonderful Police stuff huh?

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: unnecessary stereotype
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Oh hey, a battle of anecdotes.

Can we all agree that perhaps being a cop in Philly is on many levels a more difficult and challenging job than being a cop in a small suburban town?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Oh hey, a battle of anecdotes.

Can we all agree that perhaps being a cop in Philly is on many levels a more difficult and challenging job than being a cop in a small suburban town?
absolutely! You could not pay me enough to ..

Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 AM

12 posts, read 23,627 times
Exclamation Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I like how everyone assumes that the people doing the beating were not from the city.. lol.. It does not matter. It happened IN the city... This kinda crap happens in the city 99.9% of the time.. Would never happened in my town.. ever.. Cops would never stand for it..

update. Edward Neary, one of the ones who did the beating IS from Philly..

* REAL UPDATE! Police picked-up and questioned Edward Neary and have determined he was NOT involved in the incident! He was just a stupid moron who thought he was pulling a "prank" by stating on FaceBook he did it.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 AM

12 posts, read 23,627 times
Exclamation Philly Fans DID step in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here's a novel concept: other Philadelphia sports fans stepping in to stop the bull****. If you're tired of all the stereotypes, then why don't you police yourselves a bit better? That's the most effective way to explode a stereotype.
Credit the SBnation blog site Broad Street Hockey and it's editor Travis Hughes for leading Philadelphia PD (and everyone else) to this Edward Neary idiot. After BRAGGING on the site he was the attacker, it became Mr. Hughes' and BSH posters mission to track him down! After Mr. Neary stupidly accepted Travis's "friend request" on FaceBook, Travis gleaned all personal info he could (Neary rejected his friend status within 5 minutes) and forwarded it to the police. The REAL Philadelphia Flyers fans are APPALLED at the attack on the Rangers fans to the extent that BSH started a donation site for the victims! Their plan is to buy a couple of Rangers jerseys, send them to NY for the Rangers to autograph (Flyers front office has agreed to help with that) and present them to the victims at a future Rangers game. Even fans from the Rangers and other teams have responded favorably to their efforts... it would warm your heart. Let's be honest people, ALL cities have their thugs... no one deserves to be violently attacked, but it only seems to "reflect the whole city" nationally when the attack occurs in Philly... I'm sick of it!

P.S. Police have interviewed Neary and determined he was NOT the attacker, so the real one's is still out there...in who knows WHAT hometown

Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamageeta View Post
Credit the SBnation blog site Broad Street Hockey and it's editor Travis Hughes for leading Philadelphia PD (and everyone else) to this Edward Neary idiot. After BRAGGING on the site he was the attacker, it became Mr. Hughes' and BSH posters mission to track him down! After Mr. Neary stupidly accepted Travis's "friend request" on FaceBook, Travis gleaned all personal info he could (Neary rejected his friend status within 5 minutes) and forwarded it to the police. The REAL Philadelphia Flyers fans are APPALLED at the attack on the Rangers fans to the extent that BSH started a donation site for the victims! Their plan is to buy a couple of Rangers jerseys, send them to NY for the Rangers to autograph (Flyers front office has agreed to help with that) and present them to the victims at a future Rangers game. Even fans from the Rangers and other teams have responded favorably to their efforts... it would warm your heart. Let's be honest people, ALL cities have their thugs... no one deserves to be violently attacked, but it only seems to "reflect the whole city" nationally when the attack occurs in Philly... I'm sick of it!

P.S. Police have interviewed Neary and determined he was NOT the attacker, so the real one's is still out there...in who knows WHAT hometown
Yup. And I guarantee that the efforts of BSH will not make the national news, because that's not the story people want to hear...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 AM

in all seriousness, it does not matter where the perps call home. What matters is where it happened. They are tried at the location of the fight, not where they live.. I just hope they are caught and prosecuted

Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
in all seriousness, it does not matter where the perps call home. What matters is where it happened. They are tried at the location of the fight, not where they live.. I just hope they are caught and prosecuted
How do police departments coordinate these kinds of things if the perps live outside the city? It's simple if they have a warrant for the guys' arrest, but if they're searching for these guys they could be anyone.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM

The Phila Police can go outside the city and capture the perps with help from the areas police department I believe.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
The Philly spirit is alive and well, just wish it could be channeled in a more constructive manner. I don't condone the violence, but you shouldn't be wearing a Rangers jersey in the city on game night. This is common sense.

Here's the thing I've noticed about other cities' sports fans. They talk and talk and talk about how awful we are, but then they egg us on and provoke us, as if they are trying to prove themselves right. It gets annoying because you almost feel forced to carry out the stereotype. Yeah, we play it up sometimes, but I'd say greater than the majority of the time the situation is forced upon us. At least, that's been my experience over the years, I don't know about the rest of you.

To the OP, not sure if you were trying to slight South Philly by calling it out in particular, but it's much more widespread than that. Anywhere in the city and any bar in the burbs on game night is honestly a place you don't want to be wearing another city's jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia