Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 PM

735 posts, read 1,130,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
I wonder if she had a permit to carry, how this would have played out.

Look at other parts of the state and see how punishment is dealt out. It's all public record.One of the problems with Philly.We like to vote straight democrat.Most people do not know the judge they voted in. A few months ago , a guy was sentence only 6 yrs out of a possible 45yrs. he shot 2 boys while shooting at another drug dealer.Where was the outrage in the city?If the judge was made to answer to the Sentence he handed out. I don't think he would only gave the drug dealer slash shooter 6 years.
Are you serious? He still would've thrown her on the tracks. Watch the video. He used the element of surprise, and he overpowered her before she had a chance to fight back. Not to mention that if you haven't actually fired at somebody, you're not going to have a shot in hell (pardon the pun) of killing a hardened criminal before he kills you.

And what does voting Democrat have to do with anything?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 AM

469 posts, read 925,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Are you serious? He still would've thrown her on the tracks. Watch the video. He used the element of surprise, and he overpowered her before she had a chance to fight back. Not to mention that if you haven't actually fired at somebody, you're not going to have a shot in hell (pardon the pun) of killing a hardened criminal before he kills you.

And what does voting Democrat have to do with anything?
It doesn`t make the news ,but there are many cases where women have prevented themselves from being victims because they were armed.I seen the video ,it`s not like she was standing right next to the tracks and he came up behind her and pushed her off. If she was armed it gives her a CHANCE! Most harden criminals are punks who prey on the weak. Sorry I`M not impressed with harden criminal as you are.Everyone bleeds my friend.

2. Philadelphia is soft on crime and people know this. Like I said it`s public record.There are other parts of PA where they will put you under the prison,for crimes they get away with a few years in Philly. The case I brought up. If that judge had given that sentence in Huntingdon Valley. It would have been his last term.I`M an independent. I vote Democrat more then Republican. If I`M voting for Mayor or President. I take the time to see who and what is on the ballot. Just because I might vote for a Democrat for President ,doesn`t mean the whole ticket should be voted in. I think when any community votes straight anything without doing a little homework.Their vote will be taken for granted.
Sorry for hijacking the thread and this will be my last post on this subject.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Default Man shot in the head in Feltonville

Man shot in the head in Feltonville | 6abc.com

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
It doesn`t make the news ,but there are many cases where women have prevented themselves from being victims because they were armed.I seen the video ,it`s not like she was standing right next to the tracks and he came up behind her and pushed her off. If she was armed it gives her a CHANCE! Most harden criminals are punks who prey on the weak. Sorry I`M not impressed with harden criminal as you are.Everyone bleeds my friend.

2. Philadelphia is soft on crime and people know this. Like I said it`s public record.There are other parts of PA where they will put you under the prison,for crimes they get away with a few years in Philly. The case I brought up. If that judge had given that sentence in Huntingdon Valley. It would have been his last term.I`M an independent. I vote Democrat more then Republican. If I`M voting for Mayor or President. I take the time to see who and what is on the ballot. Just because I might vote for a Democrat for President ,doesn`t mean the whole ticket should be voted in. I think when any community votes straight anything without doing a little homework.Their vote will be taken for granted.
Sorry for hijacking the thread and this will be my last post on this subject.
Have you not ever been in a fight or something? He had the element of surprise, over a woman who was smaller and probably not nearly as clinically insane as he most likely is. He attacked her, repeatedly barraging her with punches too fast for her to block them, and then before she knew it, he had her on the ground and was dragging her to the tracks. She DID try to fight back and even managed to almost stand up and possibly push him off, but he used his bigger size and his strength/possible insanity to forcefully push her onto the tracks before she could straighten her legs to get her balance and muster some lower-body strength. This all happened within a span of a few minutes, if even, and she was forced to react from the beginning, which put her at a disadvantage. Tell me how she would've managed to get out her gun and shoot him during all of this, or even how you would've.

Sorry, I'm not impressed by somebody who's green and yet thinks he's Dirty Harry. I despise criminals who victimize others violently or with a weapon, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to think that I could ever shoot one of them dead before they did me, when I've never shot a gun at a person before, no matter how much practice or training I had received. Everyone bleeds, you're right. The difference is that the criminal you think you're going to drop like a "Good guy with a gun" has seen people bleed and has maybe even made them bleed, and will not be shocked to see himself bleed. You on the other hand, the second you realized what was really about to happen, would probably hesitate or have a momentary wave of fear crash over you... and he would shoot you dead where you stood without a care in the world.

I'm all for women arming themselves in self defense, as long as they aren't the type who would get the gun taken from them, but the idea that women or anybody else for that matter simply arming themselves is the solution to every problem and would stop every criminal from victimizing them is so unbelievably warped.

As for the second part, I still fail to see what voting Democrat has to do with anything. The police budget continues to get slashed BY REPUBLICANS, and you could argue that there are so many criminals on the streets because of the policies of Republicans since at least the 1960s.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Lets back to topic guys and not off on a gun tangent.. You can start your own gun/anti gun thread and it will go on for hundreds of pages! lol

Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Lets back to topic guys and not off on a gun tangent.. You can start your own gun/anti gun thread and it will go on for hundreds of pages! lol
How is this off-topic? It's posts about a particular crime in the city and the situation the woman found herself in. It seems on-topic to me, and nobody in either my nor his posts said anything about pro gun or anti-gun. I simply pointed out that the idea that simply having a gun on you will keep you from being victimized in every situation is ludicrous.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Felt like doing an update, because the city is down remarkably on homicides so far this year. This time last year there were 22 homicides. This year, as of today, there have been 11 homicides, with a possible 12th that could be ruled a suicide.

Philadelphia District Breakdown

File:PhilaDistrict.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center City- 0
University City- 0
South Philadelphia- 1 (possibly 2 if not ruled a suicide)
Southwest Philadelphia- 0
West Philadelphia- 4
Riverwards (Kensington)- 0
Lower North Philadelphia- 1
Upper North Philadelphia- 3
Olney/Oak Lane- 0
Upper Northwest (Germantown)- 1
Lower Northwest (Manayunk/Roxborough)- 0
Near Northeast- 1
Far Northeast- 0

Core Neighborhood Breakdown

Link to core neighborhood boundaries
Philadelphia Core Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Center City
Penn Center- 0
Rittenhouse Square- 0
Fitler Square- 0
Avenue of the Arts- 0
Logan Square- 0
Washington Square West- 0
Society Hill- 0
Old City- 0
Market East- 0
Chinatown- 0
Loft District- 0
Franklintown- 0
Chinatown North- 0
Callowhill- 0
Penn's Landing- 0

South Philadelphia
Queen Village- 0
Bella Vista- 0
Hawthorne- 0
Graduate Hospital- 0
Pennsport- 0
Dickinson Narrows- 1 (possibly 2 if not ruled suicide)
Wharton- 0
Passyunk Square- 0
East Passyunk Crossing- 0
Newbold- 0
Point Breeze- 0
Gray's Ferry- 0
West Passyunk- 0
Whitman- 0
Moyamensing- 0
Girard Estate/Wilson Park- 0
Marconi Plaza- 0
Packer Park- 0

West Philadelphia
University City- 0
Woodland Terrace- 0
Spruce Hill- 0
Clark Park- 0
Squirrel Hill- 0
Southwest Cedar Park- 0
Cedar Park- 0
Garden Court- 0
Walnut Hill- 0
Powelton Village- 0
West Powelton- 0
Mantua- 0
Dunlap- 0
Haverford North- 0
Mill Creek- 0
Belmont- 0
Cathedral Park- 0
East Parkside- 0
West Parkside- 0

Lower North Philadelphia
Fairmount- 0
Spring Garden- 0
Francisville- 0
Spring Arts- 0
Poplar- 0
Northern Liberties- 0
West Poplar- 0
Brewerytown- 0
Templetown- 0
Sharswood- 0
Yorktown- 0
Ludlow- 0
Olde Kensington- 0
Hartranft- 0

Riverwards
Fishtown- 0
Kensington- 0
West Kensington- 0

Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Felt like doing an update, because the city is down remarkably on homicides so far this year. This time last year there were 22 homicides. This year, as of today, there have been 11 homicides, with a possible 12th that could be ruled a suicide.
It's only January...just sayin
Let's see where we are by December;

Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Atta boy! Great shot!

Man fatally shoots intruder
And a rarity around here
I get news reports from all over the country where the criminal rarely gets away;

Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Attempted home invasion in Crescentville

Attempted home invasion in Crescentville | 6abc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia