Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be moving in summer 2012 with toddler (2.5 years) and baby (1 year) from Europe to Philadelphia as my husband will be working in University City. We are moving for 12 months.

The big question is: should we live in the City of Philadelphia (if, please let me know what can I do with my two babies while my husband will be working probably a lot, where to go for walks, are there any nice playgrounds with green trees, playgroups etc. etc.) or the suburbs.

My main concern is: is it possible to go for walks in the city of Philadelphia with two small children and not get stressed out by traffic, is it possible to get groceries, and have a nice surroundings and most of all meet other mothers.

If we should live in the suburbs, I kind of don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere, or are there nice suburbs with something to do for a mother in my situation ( if please examples).

I just might add, that we plan to rent out a nice appartment (furnished) for app. 2500$ - will this be enough for a nice place? I kind of got the impression that its not very common to have a washer and dryier in your apparment while renting just downstaairs for everybody, is this true?

I would be very gratefull for some help!
I would really like this stay to be an adventure but at the moment Im a bit terrified...with two babies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
There are some very tidy neighborhoods and parks in University City and across the Schuylkill river in Center City. Yes it is a busy city but there is an amazing tranquility about living in some of the Center City neighborhoods.You will see a lot of baby strollers around town in the Spring/Summer.

I would research the neighborhoods of Rittenhouse Square,Society Hill, Fitler Square,Art Museum,Logan Square,Spring Garden,Queen Village,Bella Vista,Old City.

There is a nice river trail that run along the Schuylkill River for strolling. Thousands of people a day use it to bike,run etc.. Good luck.

Here are a few photos of Center City I snapped last spring.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
University City is great too! Especially the Clark Park neighborhood. There is a great park near by named Clark Park and that's what the neighborhood is named after. There is also the new Penn Park as well. Look at areas in Center City as well. With a renting budget of $2500 you shouldn't have a hard time finding a great place.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
A benefit of center city or UC is that you won't need a car.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikaThe View Post
Hello!

I will be moving in summer 2012 with toddler (2.5 years) and baby (1 year) from Europe to Philadelphia as my husband will be working in University City. We are moving for 12 months.

The big question is: should we live in the City of Philadelphia (if, please let me know what can I do with my two babies while my husband will be working probably a lot, where to go for walks, are there any nice playgrounds with green trees, playgroups etc. etc.) or the suburbs.

My main concern is: is it possible to go for walks in the city of Philadelphia with two small children and not get stressed out by traffic, is it possible to get groceries, and have a nice surroundings and most of all meet other mothers.

If we should live in the suburbs, I kind of don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere, or are there nice suburbs with something to do for a mother in my situation ( if please examples).

I just might add, that we plan to rent out a nice appartment (furnished) for app. 2500$ - will this be enough for a nice place? I kind of got the impression that its not very common to have a washer and dryier in your apparment while renting just downstaairs for everybody, is this true?

I would be very gratefull for some help!
I would really like this stay to be an adventure but at the moment Im a bit terrified...with two babies...
You say your budget is 2500 a month, how much room do you need though? If 2BRs and 1bath is enough space than you certainly have enough money for a nice place in just about any nice part of the city. If you require more space, 3BR or more than it gets trickier, but I still think you won't have much difficulty finding a nice place.

As far as washers and dryers go, it depends. A lot of places if you are renting just one floor of an apartment building there is often a communal washer/dryer in the basement as opposed to individual units within each unit. If having a washer/dryer in your apartment and not having to share it with others is a priority though and you make it a point to ensure you have one, you will be able to find a place that has one. Considering your price range and the areas you will be able to move to it shouldn't be too hard. It is not rare for nicer places to have a washer/dryer right in the apartment.

The biggest thing that parents normally wrestle with as far as living with their children in the suburbs or the city, normally has to do with schooling. Great schools are certainly in Philly, but getting into them can be hard and/or pricy. The suburbs provide more certainty in this area and so many parents are drawn to the suburbs in order to ensure high quality schooling.

Considering the ages of your children and the length of your stay however, schooling is not yet a concern for your babies. Considering that I see no reason why you should worry about living in the city. Considering the location of your husband's job and your budget I would recommend that you look to rent either directly in university city, or across the river in rittenhouse square.

Both neighborhoods are safe and there are plenty of green areas and playgrounds. Shopping will be easy as there are multiple supermarkets and a wealth of smaller shops.

There are also plenty of other moms and small children (and so I imagine plenty of playgroups etc). In fact right now as I type this, there has been a bit of explosion in the amount of people with college degrees living in philadelphia with babies. In fact there are more now than at any point prior in philadelphia's history.

There are other suburbs that are also safe, have green areas, supermarkets, etc, and plenty of babies and some even have some interesting places and things to do, but obviously their offerings pale in comparison to the actual city of Philadelphia.

There are reasons for parents to consider the suburbs over philly, but the two most common reasons schooling and money will not be an issue with you and your family. I suggest you enjoy this year as you planned and live right in the city. Your husband will be able to walk to work (there's nothing better!) and while he's gone you and your young tots will have an amazing city to explore.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,241 times
Thank you so much for your replies, and tipps and also the beautiful photos!
I think you four have helped to make the decision about living in the city afterall rather than the suburbs.
I was "walking with the google man" some nights ago and found the area of Locust Walk and Woodland Walk to be very nice.I think area of University City or Rittenhouse will be good for us.
I'm a bit relieved so THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 PM

No problem! Hope you enjoy your stay and welcome to Philadelphia.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
I also vote for living in Center City with young kids! I did it for a few years and LOVED it. There are many families with young kids in the city. (Some leave once they're school-aged, some don't.) There is a lot to do with kids, and you don't need a car.

This is a great web site that outlines children & family activities in Center City:
Kids in Center City Philadelphia

Also, here are a few links to some of the more popular kid sights in Philly:
Please Touch Museum: Homepage
Adventure Aquarium > Home
Philadelphia Zoo - Home
Franklin Square - Park Features | Historic Philadelphia
Smith Kids' Play Place in the Park
Academy of Natural Sciences, Natural History Museum in Philadelphia

There is a smattering of small-ish playgrounds throughout Center City. My favorites are Three Bears Park on beautiful Delancey St betwen 3rd & 4th Sts., and Seger Playground on Lombard between 10th & 11th Sts.

Have fun!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I also vote for living in Center City with young kids! I did it for a few years and LOVED it. There are many families with young kids in the city. (Some leave once they're school-aged, some don't.) There is a lot to do with kids, and you don't need a car.

This is a great web site that outlines children & family activities in Center City:
Kids in Center City Philadelphia

Also, here are a few links to some of the more popular kid sights in Philly:
Please Touch Museum: Homepage
Adventure Aquarium > Home
Philadelphia Zoo - Home
Franklin Square - Park Features | Historic Philadelphia
Smith Kids' Play Place in the Park
Academy of Natural Sciences, Natural History Museum in Philadelphia

There is a smattering of small-ish playgrounds throughout Center City. My favorites are Three Bears Park on beautiful Delancey St betwen 3rd & 4th Sts., and Seger Playground on Lombard between 10th & 11th Sts.

Have fun!
You forgot about the Franklin Institute as well! Haha... but otherwise some good info.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Yes Center City has become quite the destination for young people, young families, and empty nesters. Should be a great experience for a year.

Its become one of the great areas in the usa for urban city living. Unfortunately the surrounding hoods( N Philly SW Philly especialy) arent so nice. Enjoy your stay but be vigilant.

The suburbs for the most part are extremely safe and very livable but most are fairly boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia