Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM

15 posts, read 19,469 times

Advertisements

A couple of my mates and i will be driving up from the South eastern usa in august for a football match in philadelphia. I have entered our destination into my gps as well as on mapquest. both have us goin straight up I-95.

Is that the best route to make it through/around DC with the least amount of difficulty and traffic issues? i noticed on the map that there were several alternatives to 95 (495, 295 etc). I'm now a wee bit confused as to what's best. i'm sure the time of day has a lot to do with congestion and stuff.

Then once we get to Philly how should we avoid the same? We are staying at the club quartres in Center City.

What's the best route to take to bypass as much as i can and keep our already 10hr drive running smooth?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM

guess we'll just take our chances and figure it out then!

cheers!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Are you leaving now for an August game?? I think the traffic experts will be on soon with some advice....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
It might help to know what town you're coming from.

Any 3-numbered interstate is an extension of the last two numbers of the three. Even numbered extensions (or spurs) always lead back to the main 2-digit interstate it was named after, but further along up the route. In short, if there is a 295 or a 495, generally speaking it is a bypass (usually of a city) and probably a faster route to take - and you'll end up back on 95, but just on the other side of the area you're bypassing.

If the basic rules of interstate travel confuse you, then I recommend an actual paper atlas. Or at least an east coast map of the US.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
It might help to know what town you're coming from.

Any 3-numbered interstate is an extension of the last two numbers of the three. Even numbered extensions (or spurs) always lead back to the main 2-digit interstate it was named after, but further along up the route. In short, if there is a 295 or a 495, generally speaking it is a bypass (usually of a city) and probably a faster route to take - and you'll end up back on 95, but just on the other side of the area you're bypassing.

If the basic rules of interstate travel confuse you, then I recommend an actual paper atlas. Or at least an east coast map of the US.

I understand that and have studied a map. that is why i have questions. I'm assuming that DC traffic will be the one to avoid (coming from SC by the way) and that if I do hit PHilly rush hour traffic, I should be going against it since I'll be heading into the city and not away from it. My other question is what is the best route to take to make it to Center City (hotel Club Quarters to be exact). one way has me taking 95 all the way up along the river.

Which way is the least frustrating or easiest to navigate at that time of rush hour?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,458 times
When you hit "the beltway" in the DC area (the loop 495 road) you should take it toward the east/counterclockwise and go over the Woodrow Wilson bridge unless it's rush hour then the common wisdom is to go west/clockwise on the beltway back to 95.

If you go counterclockwise around the beltway you have the option of taking either the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (295) or 95 up to Baltimore. They're usually the same (distance & traffic), but I find the Parkway to be a nicer view.

To get through Baltimore you can take either the Ft. McHenry tunnel on 95 or the Harbor Tunnel on 895. These, too, are the same (and both end up as 95 north of the city). 895 would be my preference if it's rush hour or if the Baltimore Orioles have a home game.

In the Wilmington area you can choose to stay on 95 or use 495. These, too, are the same. I pick the 495 route 50% of the time, unless it's rush hour and then I pick it 100% of the time. (95 here gives you a better "view" of the city, if that matters.)

When you get to Philly you can take either 76 or stay on 95 to 676 into Center City. It largely doesn't matter, but I'd suggest you stay on 95 to 676 only because it's the cleanest shot with the least merges or confusing roadways. You'll also pass the Philly sports facilities this way (Eagles/Phillies/Flyers).

The ride between Northern Virginia and Philly will be difficult after about 3pm on any weekday because you'll have to contend with rush hour traffic pretty much the whole way (DC, Baltimore, Wilmington & Philly). If you can leave early enough to hit Philly by 3pm that would be best. Or, at am absolute minimum, try to be north of Baltimore by 3pm. If you can avoid travel on Friday that would help a lot too. 95 is even worse with beach traffic and vacationers on Fridays.

Also, someone has an iPhone, right? Google Maps will give you traffic conditions and I've been using the WAZE app with a great deal of success lately. They should help you guys make these "stay on 95 or not" decisions.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
When you get to Philly you can take either 76 or stay on 95 to 676 into Center City. It largely doesn't matter, but I'd suggest you stay on 95 to 676 only because it's the cleanest shot with the least merges or confusing roadways. You'll also pass the Philly sports facilities this way (Eagles/Phillies/Flyers).
Clarification: If the Phillies have a home game don't go past the stadium. Take 95 to 76 to 676 in this scenario.

(Also, look at that... I forgot the 76ers. Just like everyone else does. Ha!)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
When you hit "the beltway" in the DC area (the loop 495 road) you should take it toward the east/counterclockwise and go over the Woodrow Wilson bridge unless it's rush hour then the common wisdom is to go west/clockwise on the beltway back to 95.

If you go counterclockwise around the beltway you have the option of taking either the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (295) or 95 up to Baltimore. They're usually the same (distance & traffic), but I find the Parkway to be a nicer view.

To get through Baltimore you can take either the Ft. McHenry tunnel on 95 or the Harbor Tunnel on 895. These, too, are the same (and both end up as 95 north of the city). 895 would be my preference if it's rush hour or if the Baltimore Orioles have a home game.

In the Wilmington area you can choose to stay on 95 or use 495. These, too, are the same. I pick the 495 route 50% of the time, unless it's rush hour and then I pick it 100% of the time. (95 here gives you a better "view" of the city, if that matters.)

The ride between Northern Virginia and Philly will be difficult after about 3pm on any weekday because you'll have to contend with rush hour traffic pretty much the whole way (DC, Baltimore, Wilmington & Philly). If you can leave early enough to hit Philly by 3pm that would be best. Or, at am absolute minimum, try to be north of Baltimore by 3pm. If you can avoid travel on Friday that would help a lot too. 95 is even worse with beach traffic and vacationers on Fridays.

Also, someone has an iPhone, right? Google Maps will give you traffic conditions and I've been using the WAZE app with a great deal of success lately. They should help you guys make these "stay on 95 or not" decisions.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers mate! That's good info.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,134 times
Can you take Amtrak from D.C.?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM

184 posts, read 370,571 times
re: Wash DC, I've had good luck with 295 and then 895 going around Baltimore.

I'd avoid the trip btw 2p - 7p if on a Friday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia