Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,214 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have driven through Ridley Park many times. I love the layout of the town, victorian homes, etc. I have read every thread on the area that has been posted on City data, but I am still unsure about the town. I have read alot of good things about the town but its proximity to places like Crum Lynne, Woodlyn, etc. worries me. Can anyone who lives in Ridley Park tell me about it? I am looking for a stable town to raise a family, and not a place on the down swing. Has Ridley Park declined in recent years? Are you happy living there? Are residents trying to sell and move out? Please don't leave anything out. I am looking to buy my forever home in a safe, family friendly area.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 21,201 times
I live in Folsom. It is nice enough for what I needed when I bought it as a 20 something single guy. However, I am currently looking to move as I want to find a better school district. I haven't had any issues with crime or anything like that.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Ridley Park is a solid middle class suburb with good schools, but is unfortunately surrounded mostly by bad areas. Ridley has not declined and will probably never decline unless something happens to Boeing. So you should be pleased moving there. If your willing to spend more money than check out wallingford or swarthmore or the media area.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,330 times
Ridley Park is a good area. Just depends where you're at. If you give me some sort of specific location you're looking at I could help you better. Like others have stated it's surrounded by some "eh" areas, but it's also surrounded by Interboro and Springfield school districts which are good middle class areas. Ridley Schools are pretty good, not great, but good enough for your kids to get a quality education. Ridley Schools are right up there with Springfield, Interboro, etc. They are also very good in sports so if you have kids into sports they will do well. If you are looking for better schools you're really only going to find better in Wallingford Swarthmore, Rose Tree Media, Garnet Valley, etc, but houses in those school districts are 300K+, plus with their high taxes you're looking at some high home costs.

I think the area will stay fine. With Boeing there and the taxes being high, that should keep most people out. Anything can happen to any town over time, especially with the way the economy is all over the place. It's def. a great place to have a family. If you can, post the area of Ridley Park you're looking in and I can give you a good observation on it.

Good Luck

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: watch the characterizations

Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,794 times
FYI they have kinda high property taxes in Ridley twp. compared to surrounding comparable areas in delco such as Aston or Brookhaven. they built a new high school not long ago and support a rather large police/public works budget.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Now see, my opinion differs from the ones above. I find Ridley to be on the down-swing. U want family-friendly, good schools, nice neighborhoods, look more at Media and Rosetree.... Maybe branch out and look into Chester county. Those places are on the up and up.... Ridley was a great place in the 50s, 60s, im sure, but not so much now..... It's very working class, kinda tough, and just blahh

Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Now see, my opinion differs from the ones above. I find Ridley to be on the down-swing. U want family-friendly, good schools, nice neighborhoods, look more at Media and Rosetree.... Maybe branch out and look into Chester county. Those places are on the up and up.... Ridley was a great place in the 50s, 60s, im sure, but not so much now..... It's very working class, kinda tough, and just blahh
I might be jumping out on a limb here, but I would guess the OP is looking at areas like Ridley Park because he/she can't afford places like Media and Rose Valley.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Ridley is not on the "down-swing". Sure it has it's fair share of disrespectful people moving in, but that's everywhere. You'll see that in Media, Rosetree, Chester County, etc. It's just the way this country is now. With the higher taxes in Ridley, it won't get worse unless there continues to be more and more rentals.

Also, Media, Rose Tree, West Chester, etc while good areas are very highly priced. You can't touch a home there right now for under 300K. Even a fixer-upper is in the high 200's low 300's.

I think you'll be just fine in Ridley.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-16-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: watch the characterizations

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 85,576 times
I would not suggest Ridley Park or Folsom. They are OK towns in and of themselves but the surrounding areas are garbage. I know this is a dangerous blanket statement, but most of the people there seem like they grew up in those garbage surrounding areas, made a bit of money, moved the 5 miles to Ridley Park/Folsom and now consider themselves to be living the high life. Some of the houses are nice, some are not. Most of them are small. The school district is mediocre at best. I would consider it a poor investment being that, when a mediocre town is surrounded by ones that are even worse off, it's bound to decline. I'm not trying to trash the people of Ridley or the town itself, but a well-educated, sophisticated, more "white-collar/upper middle class" person would not enjoy living there. And this is coming from someone who did live there.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,929 times
Ridley Park is a very nice place to live. I've been here since 1979. There is very little crime and it's very close to Philadelphia for commuting. Most homes in Ridley Park are reasonable, in the upper 100k to high 200k range. You're right off I-95 and very near (but not too near) Philadelphia International airport.
The one bad thing about Ridley Park, especially since I am now at retirement age (70), is the ridiculously high property taxes. I pay over 6500 a year property taxes and even collecting full social security and having three pensions it's very difficult. I always thought when my house was paid for I had it made. Not with sky high school taxes. It's not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia