Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 11:02 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It really is a head scratcher for me at this point.

Yet, King of Prussia mall just added a Zadig & Voltaire, and from what I hear the high-end retailers are all content with the amount of business they're getting. The super high-end retailers (Bottega Venetta, Fendi, etc.) do not have high foot traffic, but they get clientele that will drop $20,000 on a visit, likely the Main Line crowd.

I know Philadelphia is not KoP, its just odd that the city (especially Center City) is going through a bit of a renaissance and increased tourism, yet shops are closing left and right. Some of course are not the fault of the city (Barneys, Papyrus, etc.).

I wonder how much fault landlords have in this, some stores may have been forced to close if rents were too high even if they performed well. Its rare these days that a retailer will stay open if they aren't making money on a location, its even visible on 5th Ave and Madison Ave in New York.

But its not all bad, the Fashion District is attracting a solid lineup and has been busy the few times I passed through, I figured Center City had enough demand to extend the retail district rather than replace / play musical chairs.

(Scotch and Soda is an awesome store, the Macys in Herald Square recently added a Scotch & Soda section, it would be cool if the Philadelphia Macys got some sprucing up and new lines introduced).
Yes brick and mortar retail is going through a major transition. I have read many articles and at one point we were over saturated with the number of retailers across the country.

Many retailer's also took for granted the rise of online shopping, and shifted their business strategy too late and therefore have suffered. I do see this as a mix of rising rents and poor retail growth/strength.

I do think with Walnut St. a great deal of it is due to rising rents though. At one point I remember reading that Walnut St. had one of the highest % increase of commercial rent of prime shopping corridors in the nation. The fact Zara closed shocked me. It was always busy. I suspect it dealt with the rent increase. In the article it states many of the leases are ending this year on Walnut and a decent stake of these retailer's have chosen not to renew.

Scotch & Soda is a really awesome store. I thought it would be much more busy than it is, given the 'creative culture' of the city.

I would love to see a Massimo Dutti open up in Center City. But now I have low faith of any new store openings for at least a year or two until the rents can correct themself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yes brick and mortar retail is going through a major transition. I have read many articles and at one point we were over saturated with the number of retailers across the country.

Many retailer's also took for granted the rise of online shopping, and shifted their business strategy too late and therefore have suffered. I do see this as a mix of rising rents and poor retail growth/strength.

I do think with Walnut St. a great deal of it is due to rising rents though. At one point I remember reading that Walnut St. had one of the highest % increase of commercial rent of prime shopping corridors in the nation. The fact Zara closed shocked me. It was always busy. I suspect it dealt with the rent increase. In the article it states many of the leases are ending this year on Walnut and a decent stake of these retailer's have chosen not to renew.

Scotch & Soda is a really awesome store. I thought it would be much more busy than it is, given the 'creative culture' of the city.

I would love to see a Massimo Dutti open up in Center City. But now I have low faith of any new store openings for at least a year or two until the rents can correct themself.
Massimo Dutti closed both of their US locations (NYC and DC) last year, so that will never happen.

There are a few retailers that would do well in Center City that aren't currently there. Patagonia is one that comes to mind.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
Yikes. That is a lot of closures. I hope the Banks let the landlords lower the rent enough to find new tenants. I worry about a Walnut Street lined with non stop Bank and Cellphone storefronts.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:41 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Yea it is bleak. I believe it also mentioned the H & M might not renew their lease on Walnut St. as well when it expires later this year.

The landlords are driving all the tenants out.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yea it is bleak. I believe it also mentioned the H & M might not renew their lease on Walnut St. as well when it expires later this year.

The landlords are driving all the tenants out.
Considering there are three H&M's in Center City, including two within a couple blocks of each other, it makes sense that (at least) one would eventually close.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-17-2020 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 05:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
The truth is that retail brick and mortar is pretty much done and done. My wife and I, and our friends, spend a good amount of money on "stuff." I haven't, and don't know anyone who has, purchased anything offline in years. The good news is that what was previously retail can now be another home, restaurant, movie venue etc... When you think about it, do we really need retail clothing or furniture stores?

Old 02-17-2020, 07:52 PM

75 posts, read 66,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
The truth is that retail brick and mortar is pretty much done and done. My wife and I, and our friends, spend a good amount of money on "stuff." I haven't, and don't know anyone who has, purchased anything offline in years. The good news is that what was previously retail can now be another home, restaurant, movie venue etc... When you think about it, do we really need retail clothing or furniture stores?
I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that it’s been years since anyone that you know has purchased clothes in a retail shop.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that it’s been years since anyone that you know has purchased clothes in a retail shop.
I feel that clothing is one area where still is a place for retail, if only so you can try the stuff on and make sure it fits before you buy. Personally speaking, sizes and manufacturers and makes and cuts are all so variable that it makes online shopping more difficult than, saying, buying a book or some other less personal item. Unless it's a case where I'm familiar with the brand and am 100% confident of the sizing, I will go out of my way to avoid buying clothes online.

Now, obviously, it probably won't ever be what it was pre-internet, but I would be surprised to see all apparel retail go under. I think it will have a market, even if a much smaller one.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:06 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
I feel that clothing is one area where still is a place for retail, if only so you can try the stuff on and make sure it fits before you buy. Personally speaking, sizes and manufacturers and makes and cuts are all so variable that it makes online shopping more difficult than, saying, buying a book or some other less personal item. Unless it's a case where I'm familiar with the brand and am 100% confident of the sizing, I will go out of my way to avoid buying clothes online.

Now, obviously, it probably won't ever be what it was pre-internet, but I would be surprised to see all apparel retail go under. I think it will have a market, even if a much smaller one.
Young people also don't seem to spend as much on clothes / accessories these days. People like cheap, fast, casual. That has to hurt the industry to some extent, especially the department stores.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Young people also don't seem to spend as much on clothes / accessories these days. People like cheap, fast, casual. That has to hurt the industry to some extent, especially the department stores.
Oh absolutely! I think there's a reason stores like Primark are big now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia