Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! this.really,.makes.me.upset.
This is so BS!
What a waste of beautiful building.

This again confirms how retailers feel and have certain notion about us. God this is so upsetting.
Question. In your work do you have any chance to contact any of these developers? It sounds like you are the kind of person they should be talking to or hearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Yeah, drugstores suck. Not the old ones with hospitality, but the chain ones with young, rude, uncaring pharmacy technicians and disgusting checkout clerks.
Well, yes. But that's not my point. My point is that it just doesn't display any kind of thought or regard or willingness to take risks when a landlord throws in the towel and rents to a drugstore chain because it's easy.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, yes. But that's not my point. My point is that it just doesn't display any kind of thought or regard or willingness to take risks when a landlord throws in the towel and rents to a drugstore chain because it's easy.

You will be happy to know that the retail space in the new luxury apartment tower at 21st and Market next to Blue Cross has been leased to a CVS!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ersgomccoygo View Post
They paid an incredibly high $ PSF something no other retailer would have. Prime real estate and building a gorgeous building means expensive rents. Throw in someone like Verizon paying 1.5x that, that's why they are there. It will be their "flagship" location for the city.

The basement is still vacant as it the third level. Not so prime of real estate.
I agree.
Although there is still one small spot in the first floor aside of Verizon.
Not so prime of real estate like what you said!

I can see the slogan now: "Let's go to the prime Philadelphia's shopping street. You can shop phones from different providers in one spot! You have T mobile, Spring, At & T and Verizon all in one spot!"
Grrrrr

Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Question. In your work do you have any chance to contact any of these developers? It sounds like you are the kind of person they should be talking to or hearing?
Not that I know of. I wish there is.
I have been thinking about it over and over again btw - for quite some time.
If only I could show them my portfolio or even receipts that I have to go to other cities to buy things that these clients want.
The closest "encounter" with these developers or whatnot was on Cherry Hill Mall last year when the I talked to the guy who franchised Energie. He was actually looking for a space for Energie in Walnut before finally settling in Cherry Hill. I re-emphasized to him that Philadelphians have demand for Energie and SuperDry. He said he could not find a spot. (maybe the spot with the right price?) I can try to go there again and talk to him, telling him that the Cheesecake Bldg has one spot on first floor. That's all I can do.
If you know any ways to get through to these people perusing my portfolio and beyond, please let me know.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Not that I know of. I wish there is.
I have been thinking about it over and over again btw - for quite some time.
If only I could show them my portfolio or even receipts that I have to go to other cities to buy things that these clients want.
The closest "encounter" with these developers or whatnot was on Cherry Hill Mall last year when the I talked to the guy who franchised Energie. He was actually looking for a space for Energie in Walnut before finally settling in Cherry Hill. I re-emphasized to him that Philadelphians have demand for Energie and SuperDry. He said he could not find a spot. (maybe the spot with the right price?) I can try to go there again and talk to him, telling him that the Cheesecake Bldg has one spot on first floor. That's all I can do.
If you know any ways to get through to these people perusing my portfolio and beyond, please let me know.
You have to understand something about the Cherry Hill Mall. People used to drive there from Baltimore & the Baltimore suburbs before they got their own malls. It's not out in the sticks anymore. It hasn't been for a long time. There is consumer demand out there as well as in the city. It's unfortunate that a lot of companies pick one suburban location & ignore the others & the city. You can get to the Cherry Hill Mall with public transportation.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! this.really,.makes.me.upset.
This is so BS!
What a waste of beautiful building.

This again confirms how retailers feel and have certain notion about us. God this is so upsetting.
Although I can't believe I'd ever eat there myself, I'm not as upset as you. I can see a very positive outcome to having a Cheesecake Factory in the new building on Walnut. Currently, I suspect that many tourists never make their way west of Broad with a large percentage of them visiting from small towns across America. While these folks have heard of various national chains, they are only able to check them out when they come to a big city. If they venture to the Cheesecake Factory, they'll discover a whole new side of Philly, at the some times leaving more dollars for our local vendors.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Although I can't believe I'd ever eat there myself, I'm not as upset as you. I can see a very positive outcome to having a Cheesecake Factory in the new building on Walnut. Currently, I suspect that many tourists never make their way west of Broad with a large percentage of them visiting from small towns across America. While these folks have heard of various national chains, they are only able to check them out when they come to a big city. If they venture to the Cheesecake Factory, they'll discover a whole new side of Philly, at the some times leaving more dollars for our local vendors.
I am not angry about the cheesecake. I am angry that Verizon occupying the first floor.
I love Cheesecake Factory!
If anything, I agree with your assessment.
In addition to tourists, there are alot of Philadelphians who actually love CF. Alot of them have to go to Willow Grove to get their fix. Having CF closer to home means that they do not have to go all the way to Willow Grove.
When I came to Philly 5 years ago, I was not familiar with the local eateries. Therefore I resorted to national brands to eat, which I am used to back home, such as Chipotle. (I don't cook due to my lack of skills in that dept. LOL). I can see myself going to CF if I actually just moved here say this June.
It is the same with my family and friends. When they came to visit me in Philly, not all of them are comfortable to try something new. (Not everybody is foodie). We usually ended up in TGI Friday or Panera Bread.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
^^^ Totally agree with you about Verizon at street level. Hopefully that will prove false.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
^^^ Totally agree with you about Verizon at street level. Hopefully that will prove false.
Unfortunately, it has been confirmed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia