Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It's great that in our lives we can all have our own personal experiences and draw our own conclusions from them, isn't it?
Just throwing it out there for Ol School, I paid the same rent for a 2BR apartment in a nice area of The Bronx near the 1 Train as I paid for a 3BR Rowhome in Roxborough/Wissahickon, which was $1500 per Month. Of course the living space was less but still, it's not like you can never find affordable housing in NY.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Just throwing it out there for Ol School, I paid the same rent for a 2BR apartment in a nice area of The Bronx near the 1 Train as I paid for a 3BR Rowhome in Roxborough/Wissahickon, which was $1500 per Month. Of course the living space was less but still, it's not like you can never find affordable housing in NY.
1500 is not really affordable

Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It's great that in our lives we can all have our own personal experiences and draw our own conclusions from them, isn't it?
yea but its important to have realistic expectations and proper conclusions based on realistic factors

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
1500 is not really affordable
True, but I had 2 roommates so it was always $500 per Month. I guess it just depends on circumstances and how much space you need. Not going to find a lot of space in NY really.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
True, but I had 2 roommates so it was always $500 per Month. I guess it just depends on circumstances and how much space you need. Not going to find a lot of space in NY really.
yep, most people like space and without roommates
whether its worth to sacrifice it jus to live in nyc is a personal preference, for me-hell nah so id rather live in the burbs, problem is nyc burbs like north jers have the same problem

Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
yea but its important to have realistic expectations and proper conclusions based on realistic factors
I agree. Which is why unbiased real life examples are good information to balance against generalities and truisms. I have no agenda here. But if someone is going to insinuate that someone like me would be foolish for not living in Philadelphia, I feel like it's appropriate and helpful or anyone reading to tell my side.
I have a lot of experience living in both cities, think they're both great, and I try to present things fairly.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I agree. Which is why unbiased real life examples are good information to balance against generalities and truisms. I have no agenda here. But if someone is going to insinuate that someone like me would be foolish for not living in Philadelphia, I feel like it's appropriate and helpful or anyone reading to tell my side.
I have a lot of experience living in both cities, think they're both great, and I try to present things fairly.
yea, of course cant generalize on where its better to live cuz eryone has diff priorities and desires, thas why this is only bout COL, which can be generalized

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM

630 posts, read 994,814 times
The economy, weather, crime, lack of real vibrant downtown that's 24hr like NY, SF, Chi and Seattle, ample housing and recently revived and hyped up city that has yet to reach the regional real estate prices(areas beyond Center City and some other gentified neighborhoods).

Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
The economy, weather, crime, lack of real vibrant downtown that's 24hr like NY, SF, Chi and Seattle, ample housing and recently revived and hyped up city that has yet to reach the regional real estate prices(areas beyond Center City and some other gentified neighborhoods).
Philadelphia has one of the most diverse and stable economies in the United States. Though the city is growing at a slow clip, the suburban jobs are growing just as quick if not quicker than most U.S. metros. So... your first theory is wrong.

The weather is not bad, and Philadelphia has better weather than NYC, Boston, Chicago and Seattle... I would also argue that Philadelphia has better whether than most cities in the desert (Houston, Dallas, Phoenix,etc.). I know I much rather prefer Philadelphia's weather than their weather... so your second theory is wrong.

Crime is unfortunate... but it is located in specific areas and is not city or metro wide. Places like Oakland, Miami, Long Beach, Compton, Watts and Atlanta all have higher crime rates... so your third theory is wrong.

Philadelphia has bars open later and more people walking the streets later than Seattle and San Francisco. Philadelphia has after hours bars open until 4am. San Francisco doesn't have one single bar open passed 2am... Seattle has barely any nightlife at all. Philadelphia also has a MUCH more vibrant and active downtown than Seattle and a slightly better and more active downtown than Seattle. So there are only 2 cities with better downtowns than Philadelphia, they are Chicago and NYC. That's only 2 cities with DEFINITE better downtowns than Philadelphia.... you're gonna knock Philadelphia for that? You're a joke. Your third theory is wrong.

Ample housing? What does that even mean? Philadelphia has plenty of housing and is building more new than any other city except for NYC, DC and Chicago currently. Your third theory is wrong.

Hyped up city? Since when is Philadelphia hyped up? Philadelphia is extremely underrated. You want hyped up and overrated?? Look at San Francisco, Seattle, DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. Your fourth theory is wrong.

How would being a recently revitalized city make it cheaper? What on Earth are you talking about? If anything that would make it more expensive. Your fifth theory is wrong.

Has yet to reach regional Real Estate prices? Again... what are you talking about? What does this have to do with anything? I don't get what you are saying.

I don't think one correct statement has ever come out of your mouth.... and that shows because you have 269 posts and 0 reputation.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
seattle is as 24 hr as omaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia