Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM

630 posts, read 994,095 times

Advertisements

Horrible weather, too

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,198 times
The weather is amazing here. So much warmer than back home in Michigan.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
I'm partially to blame! I eat way too many potato skins.
OH That's the reason why anytime I went to RiteAid, the TGI Friday's Potato Skin Chip is always out of stock! CURSE YOU rraC ynnaD! Would you mind sharing with your fellow Philadelphian? Geeesh !

Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
It is because this city constantly ranked as the worst cities or one of the worst cities. Again, it was ranked as one of the worst cities for crime, #4 on the list this year. It had been ranked as one of the worst for the dirtiest cities, most stressful, least happiest, most violent, fattest, poor economic health index and all the things I can think of ranking in the last 10 years. Some media even went so far as say "it's the crappiest city". I all these factors contribute it to being less expensive than its East Coast neighbors.
I agree with you.
I am a transplant and I can speak out of my experience.

I accepted a job offer in Montgomery County - that's why i moved to PA. I told my friends and colleagues down in Miami, that eventually I would move to Philly being a cityboy and all. (When I first moved here, I stayed in Lansdale). They said Philly is dirty, gritty and dangerous. (Yes even Miamians think Philly is dangerous!).

When I came here, I met two other fellow co-workers during orientation (one also from Miami, the other one from San Diego), both lived in Philly.

2 years later, now, two of them are gone. The one from Miami moved to Manhattan and the one from San Diego moved back to Cali. I asked and both said they could not stand living in Philly due to its ghetto-ness, dirtiness, among other reasonings.

I guess that's the reason why housing here is cheap.

I also personally think Philly is dirty, ghetto and gritty outside my neighborhood and some other very limited areas, but I am used to it now. And to be honest, it's more power to me! If there are more people coming here, I am pretty sure the price of rental will increase.
And I know it is coming! Mayor Nutter has started fixing alot of things around the city. (Again I can only speak of my area).
So I am pretty sure, more people will move here soon and the price of housing will go up!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM

289 posts, read 338,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
OH That's the reason why anytime I went to RiteAid, the TGI Friday's Potato Skin Chip is always out of stock! CURSE YOU rraC ynnaD! Would you mind sharing with your fellow Philadelphian? Geeesh !
If I shared, I wouldn't be able to stay fat.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I agree with you.
I am a transplant and I can speak out of my experience.

I accepted a job offer in Montgomery County - that's why i moved to PA. I told my friends and colleagues down in Miami, that eventually I would move to Philly being a cityboy and all. (When I first moved here, I stayed in Lansdale). They said Philly is dirty, gritty and dangerous. (Yes even Miamians think Philly is dangerous!).

When I came here, I met two other fellow co-workers during orientation (one also from Miami, the other one from San Diego), both lived in Philly.

2 years later, now, two of them are gone. The one from Miami moved to Manhattan and the one from San Diego moved back to Cali. I asked and both said they could not stand living in Philly due to its ghetto-ness, dirtiness, among other reasonings.

I guess that's the reason why housing here is cheap.

I also personally think Philly is dirty, ghetto and gritty outside my neighborhood and some other very limited areas, but I am used to it now. And to be honest, it's more power to me! If there are more people coming here, I am pretty sure the price of rental will increase.
And I know it is coming! Mayor Nutter has started fixing alot of things around the city. (Again I can only speak of my area).
So I am pretty sure, more people will move here soon and the price of housing will go up!
So am just curious and a serious question

Why have you stayed?

Do you like it in Philly?

I have lived elsewhere too and Philly is dirty I agree (oddly it has gotten a lot better)

Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,198 times
I'm not sure how it was prior to December, but I don't think Philadelphia is very dirty, at least in the Center City and surrounding areas. There are some little pockets that are less clean and have quite a bit of trash, but I don't see this as the rule.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I'm not sure how it was prior to December, but I don't think Philadelphia is very dirty, at least in the Center City and surrounding areas. There are some little pockets that are less clean and have quite a bit of trash, but I don't see this as the rule.
I know right. I don't understand this either. There are cities all around the country that are dirty (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, New York)... and if the entire city doesn't have grit, there are large sections of cities that do, and that includes practically every city (Chicago, Miami, D.C., Houston, etc. etc.)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Ppl annoy me! You never hear ppl saying “NY is dirty!”. I just came from Brooklyn, Chinatown, and Manhattan. And thats DIRTY! Nowhere will you see rats and trash and graffiti like that. But when ppl see a Mcdonald's bag and a few rappers in Philly they write blogs about it. Backwards af!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM

289 posts, read 338,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Ppl annoy me! You never hear ppl saying “NY is dirty!”. I just came from Brooklyn, Chinatown, and Manhattan. And thats DIRTY! Nowhere will you see rats and trash and graffiti like that. But when ppl see a Mcdonald's bag and a few rappers in Philly they write blogs about it. Backwards af!
Good point. I never saw anything like the graffiti in NYC! It seems like certain areas are completely covered.
I notice trash, believe me, and downtown Philadelphia isn't all that bad, save for Chinatown. The Chinese business owners didn't wanna pay into having the streets kept clean ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia