Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 92,585 times

Advertisements

Okay. I don't see my really long reply here. That... kind of sucks.

Anyway, I refuse to live in Burlington. I did look in the historic district, as that is where I will be when I'm there. However, I'm making an effort to give myself the "luxury" of having a social life after busting my ass for the last five years straight. If I was to live in Burlington, not only would I not have much to do as far as night lift, but I would also be surrounded by work-type-people. That's exactly the type of thing I don't want to do.
I'm trying to be a normal person not defined by my work.
I've already forgotten everything else I said in my long reply. Boo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Well, your friend seems to be quite some years in the past on his opinions of Fishtown. Lately, Fishtown has really come into it's own. $500K plus condos going up on the river, etc. etc. (this is pretty pricey for Philly, not sure about Denver). The area has really changed a lot and changed rapidly in the past few years because of all the renters and gentrifiers pushed out of NoLibs. You could really afford NoLibs or Fishtown, they are essentially the same area, so don't hesitate to live in either. The difference is NoLibs has already "arrived" and Fishtown is still up and coming and on it's way. Not too long ago, Fishtown was mostly a working class neighborhood with some rough spots, not anymore however. Olde Kensington is the next neighborhood over and is starting to see some gentrification as well. If you go north into Kensington, you'll want to watch out, because there can be some rough parts of Kensington.
I was thinking the same (about my friend). He is used to the Manayunk/Roxborough area and has admitted that it's been a while since he's been to the area. I'm not limiting myself to FT by any means, but it's where I'm focusing my search.

Quote:
That's smart to stay under that. I would too. Also, if I were you, I would keep the car. Parking in Fishtown shouldn't be atrocious, and even so, a lot of rowhomes have either garages, or sometype of parking option. You may find it useful since you will have to commute to Burlington here and there. BTW, it is pronounced basically how it is spelled. Sus-que-hanna. Sus-qwa-hanna. Hope that helped. If you want to pronounce it the old Lenape Indian way (since it is an native american word), they pronounced it Siskewahane. Haha. P.S... funny you say Shamalamadingdong, IDK if you know the film Director M. Night Shyamalan, but he is from Philadelphia, and I've heard many call him M. Night Shamalamadingdong.
I'm actually "selling" my car as in giving it to my sister, who is currently going through a divorce. So it sort of works out well because since I mostly work from home, I don't really go anywhere. And yes I have been known to call M. Night Shyamalan, M. Night Shamalamadingdong OR M. Night Sheboygan. But I also have an art piece that I named "Shamalamadingdong BOOM". And it is traveling the country. With that name.

Quote:
Don't rely on Google Street view. Remember, the google street view tends to be several years old. Google street view for Philadelphia is 5 or more years old by now. They SERIOUSLY need to update it. There has been a lot more built and/or is being built currently in Fishtown and surrounding area.
Very good to know! Perhaps that area around the Tie Factory isn't quite so crappy after all? Though the reviews I've read of that area in general north of Girard leave quite a bit to be desired regardless.

Quote:
It is doable, but will be slightly rough. And it all depends where exactly you will be going in Burlington city (although it is a very small city). That's why I said you may want to keep your car, but that is up to you. What you would do is, take the Market-Frankford line at the Girard Station into Center City. You would get off at the 8th Street Station, and transfer over to the PATCO Line. You would take that into New Jersey, then get off at the Broadway stop in Camden. Word of caution, Camden is a bad city. There is nothing like it, that I know of at least, anywhere near Denver. You will be getting off in the heart Camden's Central City area, so it is not too bad, but just be street smart anyway. From there you would get on the NJ Transit Riverline and take that all the way up to Burlington. There are two stops on the Riverline in Burlington. Burlington South, and Burlington Towne Center. If where you had to be was in close proximity to one of these stops, then you could walk there from the stops. That would be rough haha.
The great thing about Burlington is that it's basically right at the Riverline stop. It's in the historic district right there on High Street. I heard plenty about Camden and Trenton (my best friend is originally from that area) and that is sort of my main concern for the commute. Luckily I also have a place to stay in Burlington, so if my work keeps me longer than I anticipate, I don't even need to travel at night if I don't want to. Also, I will likely need you to repeat all of that commute info for me come August!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
came across this article about development in fishtown
Vacant Warehouse Will Become Apartments and a Gym in Fishtown | NakedPhilly

the river line would be so much more useful if it came into philly

Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
came across this article about development in fishtown
Vacant Warehouse Will Become Apartments and a Gym in Fishtown | NakedPhilly

the river line would be so much more useful if it came into philly
Excellent! Think they can have them done by August?

I lost the house I wanted. It was so perfect and beautiful. I've been way too stressed out this last week. I wish weekends meant fun times for me, but unfortunately I'll just be trolling craigslist for a place to live and talking to my cat...

Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I "street-viewed" Fishtown. Don't take this the wrong way, but am I crazy? - I like it. It has grit. Would it chew up a middle-aged white gay couple and spit us out? Is it convenient to live there with no vehicle?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I "street-viewed" Fishtown. Don't take this the wrong way, but am I crazy? - I like it. It has grit. Would it chew up a middle-aged white gay couple and spit us out? Is it convenient to live there with no vehicle?
Google street-view was just updated with images from 2007 to now 2011, but for Fishtown those images are still really outdated. I think you'd be totally fine and you'd have the rail right there to go wherever you wished. There are also trolleys in that area.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Google street-view was just updated with images from 2007 to now 2011, but for Fishtown those images are still really outdated. I think you'd be totally fine and you'd have the rail right there to go wherever you wished. There are also trolleys in that area.
Thanks. One thing my partner and I noticed was that there aren't a lot of trees in the street-view images of Fishtown. I do adore trees. I hope Philadelphia's tree-planting campaign has made a difference, but the images as they are now aren't a deal-killer. Can anyone on here speak to the tree issue in Fishtown?

Edit: Ah, a Google search reveals that last fall some trees were planted in Fishtown!

http://fishtown.org/2012/10/30/phill...ing-coming-up/

Here's more.

http://www.phillytreepeople.org/

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-12-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
Fishtown is not an "up and coming neighborhood". it has always been a great place to live. It's pretentious hipsters that label it as such. Please tell your friends to stop playing bicycle polo in our hockey rinks or they are going to get cross checked in the throat.

Sincerely,
Fishtown Native

Last edited by Jkaiser93; 05-28-2015 at 05:35 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I get ALL August 2014 360° streetviews of Fishtown . First is just its neighborhood boundaries. You can go back to 2007 to compare too, if changes.

Fishtown boundaries https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fi...180b4ad17b6374

Sample random 360°streetviews. Some have trees some not so much.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9696...bA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9781...__NaDnx0ag!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fi...7b6374!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9756...Hw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Just presenting not commenting on any neighborhoods. The OP can click on their own streets to view, and scowl through them.... as you probably know. GOOD LUCK TO THE OP

Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardSnorton View Post
Why is it people like OP never ever ever ever ever ever move to the Far Northeast in the safe affordable areas?? Why only Fishtown Manayunk Queens Village No.Libs East Falls Graduate Hospital Fairmount Center City? Why wont there ever be Artists Photographers Sculptors Woodworkers Designers Tattoo Artists Musicians moving to Parkwood, Somerton-Bustleton, Fox Chase, Pine Valley, Andorra, etc. There is nothing wrong with the last few i mentioned in Nep. Serious answers only. Btw, if she said she was a married mother of 2 and was a teacher, everyone would suggest the NE neighborhoods i just mentioned.
Actually this has come up in other threads: What's wrong with the NE and why not choose it? It's a good question.

Part of this, I think, is the connection a lot of people, who end up in places like No.Libs, have to the major meds/eds institutions like Penn, Drexel, Temple, Jeff, UArts, USP, PCOM... Other than Holy Family or Fox Chase Cancer Center or maybe Aria/Torresdale,what other med/ed institutions are in the Great NE. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia