Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 73,881 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, I have done the search thing and really didn't find the information I am looking for. DH is considering taking a position with a company in Philly. He will be working right in Center City. He doesn't mind communting (good thing, huh?). He will drive or train up to 45 minutes. We can spend up to $550k for a home (although I would like to keep it in the $400's...).

We can live in Jersey or PA. We were there for a quick weekend, and got to see a little of each, and really liked the countryside in PA, but love the proximity to the beach in Jersey. We have one son, who is 10, and is identified gifted so schools with high academics is very important to us.

Can you help us find towns and identify neighborhoods within that might be interesting? I have been looking at a neighborhood in Huntingdon Valley and one outside Doylestown.

What do you think of Huntingdon Valley? What is it close to? How far a commute? Easy train commute? Anything else you can tell us about?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Fifteen years ago HV was one of the more exclusive suburbs, but other areas have caught up. $550 should be enough to find a nice house, though there are sections of the township where that wouldn't even get you a garage. The school district (Lower Moreland) has a good reputation for high achievers, and the schools aren't as big as some of the other districts around. The best bet for commuting to CC is from the Bethayres train station; they run an express from there that is pretty quick. HV is mostly residential, but there is a crossroads at Huntingdon Pike and Welsh Road that has some shopping and cafes around it, and there is a large shopping center along the border with Bucks County. One nice feature of the township is the Pennypack Trust, which is a nature preserve. Bryn Athyn is surrounded by HV and is interesting in more ways than one.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM

thanks for the info maf. we will look into the area, keeping in mind your comments. any other thoughts on other area's would be appreciated.

shelly

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Here is incredibly good link by the Philadephi Inquirer to give you an idea of area home prices. All you need to do is drag your cursor over each town and it will give last year real estate data. Avg home prices, appreciation etc.

Bryn Athyn, Huntington Valley, and Doylestown are all wonderful communities. If you are looking for more options the suburbs west of town are also highly recommended.From closeby leafy mainline towns of Bryn Mawr,Haverford, Narberth all the way out to West Chester + Downingtown. Chester County is arguably the most picturesque of all the area counties. If you have your heart set on the northern suburbs along with those mentioned above check into: Yardley, Newtown,Lower + Upper Makefield,Blue Bell,Gwenyd Valley,North Wales.

Good luck

Inquirer Home Price Survey | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/20/2007

Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Rain, thanks for the information. I don't have my heart set on anything : ) Just trying to find something that will help acclimate us quickly into the new relocation area. I just spent quite a bit of time figuring out what the mainline is, I think I know some of the towns.. but can you tell me what the mainline is? I found Downtingtown and am really, really liking it. Just need to see how DH's commute would be to Center City... Any recommendations on train stops, etc?

thanks in advance to all!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM

The Mainline is a string of affluent, impressive,very old historic towns that straddled the Pennsylvania Railroad heading west out of Philadelphia. The residential area was modeled after the english countryside, much more village-like than your average american suburbs. Homes are old, 100-200 years old in most cases,tons of english tudors and stone farm house type houses, lots of character, a half dozen liberal arts colleges, mature trees, blankets of ivy etc. The stereotype of the people here is a bit stuffy and somewhat pretensious. If you think you have to be noticed then
this is where you live in SE PA.Lots of CEO's,lawyers,local tv celebrity types
etc.. Pros-Great schools, very minimal crime, short commute into center city.Cons- Older housing stock.. Towns include BalaCynwd,Ardmore,Narberth,Merion,Wynnewood,Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Villanova,Rosemont,Gladwyne,Rosemon t,Penn Valley,Radnor,Wayne,St Davids,Devon. If I had to give you towns as a must see- it would be Gladwyne,Villanova,and Radnor.

The town of Downingtown itself is an older town that shows its age. The surrounding area(Exton,Chester Springs,Charlestown,Great Valley,
Malvern) is fantastic. Newer area filling up quick with new developments. Tons of shopping.Downside its a good 1 hour + commute into center city. Upside the distance gives you tremendous housing value. The general rule of thumb is the further you get away from the city the more house you get for your money.

If you get a chance look into the Valley Forge/ Phoenixville area as well. Very scenic. West Chester-Westtown-Chadds Ford-Garnet Valley are also worth looking into.

Heres the regional public transportation map to give you an idea where the train stops are.
SEPTA

Your average mainline type house

Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM

That "average" mainline house is gorgeous!! I just have to weigh out convenience of the newer.. with the charm of the older : ) Love the towns and their descriptions, I will print this page to save. I like going into the city, but have to weigh out the kid needs as well. But then he won't be with us forever, will he?

thanks, I'll look at these and keep you posted. you are a huge help.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Good luck MtoP. Are you from the northeast?

Here is a link to a new development in Exton that I had posted for OC2NY. The area opens up alot near Exton Chester Springs. The Mainline is very foresty.

Exton, Pennsylvania on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/micklerlop/164975031 - broken link)

Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Bryn Mawr

Haverford

Penn Valley

Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 PM

the photo's, including the one of exton, are awesome!! thanks for giving me a glimpse. I think I would like that area in exton. what is the name of that subdivision? and no, not Northeast.... I am in Virginia, by the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia