Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,712,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This is a very interesting trend, which by all signs will only continue as Philadelphia progresses in revitalizing and effectively gentrifies.

Of course, this only bodes well for Philadelphia. A rise in the city's affluent tax base and a decrease in people living in poverty is positive on TWO fronts. However, this is due to basically just "re-shuffling" the poor to suburban locales, as the city's cost-of-living increases.

In effect, the southeastern portion of DelCo and western portion of Camden County will likely continue to be areas where Philadelphia's poorer households seek relief from rising cost-of-living in the city. It would of course be better for the region overall if these families were lifted out of poverty altogether.
It's the same thing that happened in NYC. All the poor in Manhattan were pushed into North Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,712,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
One thing I wonder is are the poor better off in the suburbs? They now have a smaller community that can actually focus on itself. Seems like they also then are forced to take on more responsibility and are a little more spread out so they're not as much of a bad influence on each other.

The poor will have a better way of life for a short time, as long as they are close to their jobs... if not they will just be spending more money to commute being away from public transit options. However, the towns and areas they are moving to should be fine because most of the counties they are moving too also have wealthy and middle class sections to balance everything out. Taxes may rise in these counties but they'll fair better than North Philadelphia.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:22 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,657,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
It's the same thing that happened in NYC. All the poor in Manhattan were pushed into North Jersey.
There's actually a ton of poor people who live in Manhattan. Over 20% of its population is below the poverty line. It's the middle class that's gotten squeezed.

Not sure why people on here so often like to use 'Manhattan' and 'NYC' interchangeably. Like..Manhattan has more poor people in it and a lower median household income than Staten Island.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times
Quote:
One thing I wonder is are the poor better off in the suburbs? They now have a smaller community that can actually focus on itself. Seems like they also then are forced to take on more responsibility and are a little more spread out so they're not as much of a bad influence on each other.
No they are not...Moving troubled people around will not suddenly enlighten them. As rude as I may be coming off, it is a trail, wherever the problem goes, that area then becomes affected by them. I am not making this claim for all poor people, but a significant amount of Philadelphia's poor cannot function in society. Whose fault it is would be an endless debate. But them moving to the suburbs will inevitably and only create tension among the community.

Quote:
The poor will have a better way of life for a short time, as long as they are close to their jobs... if not they will just be spending more money to commute being away from public transit options. However, the towns and areas they are moving to should be fine because most of the counties they are moving too also have wealthy and middle class sections to balance everything out. Taxes may rise in these counties but they'll fair better than North Philadelphia.
They towns they move too will begin to decline, but the communities that they are priced out of will flourish even more so than before.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,834,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I suspect DelCo and Camden as well. The rest (including the rest of South Jersey) are probably steady to increasing. I'll parse out the data later and post my findings here.
that doesn't appear to be the case, a larger swath of south jersey saw increases in deep poverty.
Quote:
...Deep poverty - income of 50 percent of the federal poverty level or below - appears to have grown 19 percent in Camden County and 5 percent in Delaware County between 2011 and 2012...Overall, deep poverty appeared to rise 17 percent in South Jersey - the counties of Camden, Gloucester, and Burlington combined, while it fell 3 percent in the Pennsylvania suburbs. In Philadelphia, numbers suggest that deep poverty dipped 6 percent.
Study: Deep poverty on the rise in Delaware and Camden Counties - Philly.com

Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,555 times
Quote:
I actually don't see it working out well. You have a bunch of poor people that are distant from jobs with little to no transportation.

Also, not all suburbs are small communities.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,555 times
Quote:
Actually, a lot of them are still in the city. They are just moving into areas that a further out like the Staten Island, North Bronx, SE Brooklyn, and some parts of Queens. You also have some moving to Nassua County.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,119,599 times
Population growth. Revitalized neighborhoods. Amazing downtown. Reduced poverty. Can the negadelphians just shut the hell up now?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

9,358 posts, read 13,026,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that doesn't appear to be the case, a larger swath of south jersey saw increases in deep poverty.

Study: Deep poverty on the rise in Delaware and Camden Counties - Philly.com
The article first mentions Camden County alone, then switches to "South Jersey." I'm not convinced that that isn't a sensationalist tactic. Like I said before, I'll crunch the numbers later and we will see county-by-county, once and for all.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,022,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No they are not...Moving troubled people around will not suddenly enlighten them. As rude as I may be coming off, it is a trail, wherever the problem goes, that area then becomes affected by them. I am not making this claim for all poor people, but a significant amount of Philadelphia's poor cannot function in society. Whose fault it is would be an endless debate. But them moving to the suburbs will inevitably and only create tension among the community.

They towns they move too will begin to decline, but the communities that they are priced out of will flourish even more so than before.
You don't exactly come off rude as you do consistently classist and frequently racist. I knew this topic would draw you out and give you the opportunity to say something gross about poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia