Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

Here's a timely article from the Washington Post regarding increasing agglomerations of wealth/educated people, particularly in large urban areas:

Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

They specifically looked at the "top 5%" of zip codes, or "Super Zips" based on wealth and educational attainment.

Based on this recent Census Data, you'll see that Philadelphia urban area (although other urban areas like New York, Los Angeles and the Bay Area contain multiple conglomerations) has the 13th largest cluster of high-earners/educated people in the US (7th in the US, if you at cities' urban areas in their entirety).

It's pretty clear that the Main Line has done well in retaining its reputation, but overall the suburbs definitely aren't at a loss for wealth.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-11-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I don't claim that shuffling poor people around the Philadelphia metro will somehow benefit the poor people or whatever place they end up.

I don't disagree with cpomp's arguement that relocating impoverished people from Philadelphia to it's suburbs will make those worse places to live. I simply disagree with the fact that this situation is then being used as an excuse to bash the impoverished people of philadelphia.

He says that a significant amount of Philadelphia's poor cannot function in society and then claims that determining who's fault this is would be an "endless debate." It's the assertion that these people are somehow innately stupid or incapable and shoulder the full amount of blame for their failure. Zero acknowledgement is given to situation they find themselves within society at birth.

You too make similar judgements. You seem to think of the poor people of the past as hardworking and driving towards the American Dream while the poor people of today are lazy and refuse to work hard enough to achieve it. What you fail to realize is the people have not changed, today however the dream is gone.

Immigrants of the 19th and early 20th century undoubtedly worked extremely hard. But that ability to work hard was actually a privilege. Because back then immigrants could actually find respectable jobs in the manufacturing industry or in agriculture. They never got rich and they likely worked at least 60+ hours a week but those hours were at least there for the taking and they made enough money to provide their family will food shelter and clothing. They made enough money so that one parent could stay home and raise their children. And the children had the opportunity to receive a public education that was the envy of the world.

Today in america industry is dead, our school system is crap, and we apparently value the ability to get a cheap flat screen than give everyone in this country the opportunity to work hard and make a living.

I was going at the argument of is it the governments fault, or the peoples fault, or a combination..
And yes a majority of the poor today are different than 100 years ago.. the mentality of how to get through life is completely different. A good amount of the of very poor people in this city abuse the resources that were once created for the benefit of the people. That is an extremely common occurrence in this city. Its the minority overall, but still too frequent to be overlooked. This is not Zimbabwe, yes some people are trapped in bad situations and the urban school systems need new implementations, but when I am driving through bad parts of the city and see women with 4 kids who are pregnant and thugs running around in the street I do not feel bad for them at all. That was unheard of 100 years ago, hence why things have changed.

I have also had the joy of briefly working with/for PHA, and had the eye opening experience of interacting with section 8 tenants. There was only a few that I truely felt bad for because of their situation. I now work for Toll Brothers and am experiencing the complete opposite end of the spectrum. So I know you disagree with most of what I say, and think I am snobby, but my claims are not false or exaggerated.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was going at the argument of is it the governments fault, or the peoples fault, or a combination..
And yes a majority of the poor today are different than 100 years ago.. the mentality of how to get through life is completely different. A good amount of the of very poor people in this city abuse the resources that were once created for the benefit of the people. That is an extremely common occurrence in this city. Its the minority overall, but still too frequent to be overlooked. This is not Zimbabwe, yes some people are trapped in bad situations and the urban school systems need new implementations, but when I am driving through bad parts of the city and see women with 4 kids who are pregnant and thugs running around in the street I do not feel bad for them at all. That was unheard of 100 years ago, hence why things have changed.

I have also had the joy of briefly working with/for PHA, and had the eye opening experience of interacting with section 8 tenants. There was only a few that I truely felt bad for because of their situation. I now work for Toll Brothers and am experiencing the complete opposite end of the spectrum. So I know you disagree with most of what I say, and think I am snobby, but my claims are not false or exaggerated.
Oh wow you spent some time working for the pha and think you know something? you're a joke. You should have been born into extreme poverty. The idea of you struggling through it is hilarious.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
PHA should be abolished

Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 16,949 times
Quote:
Oh wow you spent some time working for the pha and think you know something? you're a joke. You should have been born into extreme poverty. The idea of you struggling through it is hilarious.
I have read through this post with interest...and you have posted several times regarding the plight of extreme poor...rather than wagging your finger at others for their thoughts based on their experiences, whether you deem them appropriate or not, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how best to help those in need.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
My point was that many of the people in PHA are simply there to abuse the system not because they are in utter need of assistance. The true amount of people in this city who are desperate or struggling (which I truly feel bad for) is shrinking and being replaced with the ghetto crowd that does not care nor know how to act. And because I was not born poor makes me a bad person?... You can glorify and support all those that drag down this city, and I will take the other stance of supporting the wealthy moving here, which will ultimately save Philadelphia.

Btw as another poster mentioned.. I would love to hear your suggestions.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
They should declare welfare zones. Only if you live in certain areas can you qualify for welfare.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
They should declare welfare zones. Only if you live in certain areas can you qualify for welfare.
And make children attend schools in their own neighborhood.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
And then what, draw red lines around those areas?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
And then what, draw red lines around those areas?
yes, and they bulldoze those areas and move the residents into government built highrises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia