Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:13 PM

233 posts, read 334,230 times

Advertisements

The union that represents SEPTA bus drivers/subway operators (different from the regional rail union) is voting on whether to strike this Sunday, in response to SEPTA's latest contract offer.

SEPTA Strike: It Could Happen On Monday | News | Philadelphia Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
The union that represents SEPTA bus drivers/subway operators (different from the regional rail union) is voting on whether to strike this Sunday, in response to SEPTA's latest contract offer.

SEPTA Strike: It Could Happen On Monday | News | Philadelphia Magazine

I watch channel 6 news and they have said nothing about it. I only seen it mentioned on Fox29 and now Philly magazine when I clicked on this thread. I refused to believe they would mess everyone's plans up to get to work on a Monday Morning.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I watch channel 6 news and they have said nothing about it. I only seen it mentioned on Fox29 and now Philly magazine when I clicked on this thread. I refused to believe they would mess everyone's plans up to get to work on a Monday Morning.

Yea, like they never done that before?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
[/color]

Yea, like they never done that before?
But the story has been so quiet so to strike on a Sunday night and have so many people without a way to get to work would be just plain wrong

Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
But the story has been so quiet so to strike on a Sunday night and have so many people without a way to get to work would be just plain wrong
A strike may be held off for awhile as they negotiate a new deal. But hopefully the Septa employees come to the real world and not holdout on issues like healthcare and pensions. A strike is never pretty for the area.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
I will be dreadfully unhappy if this is the case.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
It's in today's Metro at least.

Messing up people's travel plans on Monday morning is the point for them. Disrupting the city will end it quicker from their POV.

There hasn't been a strike in 5 years when the last contract expired.

Workers probably think they have already given the city a "gift" since they have been working without a new contract for 7 months.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
A strike may be held off for awhile as they negotiate a new deal. But hopefully the Septa employees come to the real world and not holdout on issues like healthcare and pensions. A strike is never pretty for the area.
They've been working 7 months without a new contract as it is. And, afaik, no face-to-face were held during the summer. They had three days of talks last week with nothing, obviously, resolved.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve it since their is huge gap between what management pensions are and what the rank and file get. Something like a $5000/month difference.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I will be dreadfully unhappy if this is the case.
The first couple of days are the worse. Eventually many people will find other ways(more expensive(?)) to get around. With past strikes Septa did end up losing passengers permanently because those strikes went on long enough for people to adjust to using other travel options.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's in today's Metro at least.

Messing up people's travel plans on Monday morning is the point for them. Disrupting the city will end it quicker from their POV.

There hasn't been a strike in 5 years when the last contract expired.

Workers probably think they have already given the city a "gift" since they have been working without a new contract for 7 months.

The last strike didn't bother me because I was unemployed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia