Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 9,143,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I generally agree with you about a lot of stuff. But seriously, I have to take issue with the idea that ALL the African-Americans, some of whom have been residents in W. Phila(west of 52nd)for generations(including my family) are crime driven maniacs who don't care about their homes or their immediate neighborhoods.

Just stop with this veiled racism.
I know Clark Park and don't think he meant to imply that with his post.

I thought it noteworthy when a blog started appearing online from a young white guy who called himself "Parkside." The "park" he lived next to was Malcolm X Park. I know someone else who now lives facing that park as well: he is the director of the Penn Glee Club - we used to sing together in an Episcopal church choir in Ardmore.

But I do understand why you'd object to anything that suggests that there are no African-Americans in this area who have the same values and tastes as the newcomers, for I know one of those too: he lives in the 5400 block of Chancellor Street, one of those blocks of mock-Tudor-front two-flats I see only in West Philly.

He owns two of the duplexes on that block (and asked me if I'd rent one unit from him; maybe when my income improves, I might take him up on the offer, but not now).

A few years ago, he told me that he advised everyone he knew on his block who owned property to hang onto it no matter what, for it was going to be worth a good bit more before too long. I think time is proving him right, though the Wave has yet to cross 52nd Street north of Walnut. However, there's this really good supermarket at 56th and Chestnut....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,782,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

[....]

A few years ago, he told me that he advised everyone he knew on his block who owned property to hang onto it no matter what, for it was going to be worth a good bit more before too long. I think time is proving him right, though the Wave has yet to cross 52nd Street north of Walnut. However, there's this really good supermarket at 56th and Chestnut....
You probably know that two major companies used to be on that entire block, between 56th and 57th Sts: Bond Baking and Chilton Publishing Co. So inspite of the supermarket it's just that and a huge surface parking lot today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia