Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Uhhh...yeah. young people go out a lot, Driving once or twice a month to delaware yo avoided sales tax on certain items isn't a big deal
Therein lies the difference in people. When I was in my 20s -money won hands down. Strangely, my nephew is 31 & money wins. My niece is 23 &, again, money wins.

Europeans pay a VAT tax on clothing. They love the cheaper taxes on clothing. Whether you care or not doesn't matter unless you are a tourist. Marketing Philadelphia to Europeans would be smart. Throwing in tax-free shopping in Delaware would be a winning proposition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Of course... industry outside the city too. Just less in the city and river would have been better.

Here are some more unwanted comments. Not help ...I am not a developer that can make a change working with the city.

But since Camden got interjected. Too bad Camden side did not developed some High-Rises living? Like across from Manhattan. There are just empty parking lots north of the Adventure NJ State Aquarium. Wasn't the Aquarium to start net development too? you have views of the Ben Franklin (Golden Gate) Bridge and Skyline views.

This street view that could not venture to the shore, because the road ended. Shows plenty of undeveloped land just waiting? With access to Center City.
Learn some geography. Camden is in NEW JERSEY. Another state. What developer impact Phila has on it has been minimal so far.

You behave as if we don't have any talent in Phila. There are plenty of ideas of what we should do with the water front and unused land. In fact some of the things you posted have ALREADY been proposed.

Lol, you say above that your suggestions are unwanted. So gee, how much longer will you keep posting them here?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:19 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The goldmines would be advertising in the UK & Germany.
Funny you should mention Germany. A few years ago-or so-my son met a guy from Berlin off-roading in the Pine Barrens. He'd been in New York for business, spent a couple of days in Philly, then moved over to New Jersey and rented a 4 wheel drive to explore the woods. While there's plenty to do in Philadelphia, the area, region, has so much to offer.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Funny you should mention Germany. A few years ago-or so-my son met a guy from Berlin off-roading in the Pine Barrens. He'd been in New York for business, spent a couple of days in Philly, then moved over to New Jersey and rented a 4 wheel drive to explore the woods. While there's plenty to do in Philadelphia, the area, region, has so much to offer.
The city should advertise in European markets & the region should as well.

Genealogy is very big in Germany. Many are very interested in branches who migrated to the US. In colonial times Philadelphia was the number one port of entry for Germanic immigrants. 8 years of English is mandatory in Germany. They are very functional in English.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Therein lies the difference in people. When I was in my 20s -money won hands down. Strangely, my nephew is 31 & money wins. My niece is 23 &, again, money wins.

Europeans pay a VAT tax on clothing. They love the cheaper taxes on clothing. Whether you care or not doesn't matter unless you are a tourist. Marketing Philadelphia to Europeans would be smart. Throwing in tax-free shopping in Delaware would be a winning proposition
I can't see Philadelphia being a big draw to Europeans. As far as the historical significance is concerned, if it's not a big enough draw for Americans as it is, why would it be one for Canadians or Europeans? Philadelphia is at an inherent disadvantage because there are two major nearby cities that are bigger attractions: DC & NYC. Baltimore also loses out for the same reason. Even Boston is generally more desirable. And the rest of the East Coast also offers much more in terms of tourist interest. As for shopping, NYC has the best reputation. Other regions of the country differ in terms of climate and culture. Philadelphia offers essentially the same climate & the same general culture as DC & NYC, but is second-rate in terms of actual tourist interest.

One interesting idea that was mentioned earlier in this thread is to market the Jersey Shore more to Canadians. Plenty of Canadians do go to the Jersey Shore. However, the biggest draw would probably be convenience & proximity. It's a significantly shorter drive from, say, Montreal to the Jersey Shore than from Montreal to the Carolinas. However, the Southern coast, including Florida, will always be at an advantage due to the warmer ocean and better reputation. There's also something to be said for the fact that if you're a Canadian and you're already committed to driving as far as NJ, you might as well go a bit further, at least to Virginia Beach or even further south. And if you're coming from Ontario, it makes even more sense to just drive through PA and continue on south. NJ is kind of out of the way and doesn't have the greatest reputation. The New England coastal attractions (particularly MA-NH-ME) are probably more attractive to Canadians and Americans from other regions of the country who don't particularly care about warm ocean water.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The city should advertise in European markets & the region should as well.

Genealogy is very big in Germany. Many are very interested in branches who migrated to the US. In colonial times Philadelphia was the number one port of entry for Germanic immigrants. 8 years of English is mandatory in Germany. They are very functional in English.
Even in this respect, Philadelphia loses out. The rest of Pennsylvania has a much stronger German connection, but not Philadelphia. And needless to say, Germantown is not the least bit German anymore. The rest of the country, particularly the Midwest, would probably be of much greater interest to a German who's interested in the German diaspora in North America.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can't see Philadelphia being a big draw to Europeans. As far as the historical significance is concerned, if it's not a big enough draw for Americans as it is, why would it be one for Canadians or Europeans? Philadelphia is at an inherent disadvantage because there are two major nearby cities that are bigger attractions: DC & NYC. Baltimore also loses out for the same reason. Even Boston is generally more desirable. And the rest of the East Coast also offers much more in terms of tourist interest. As for shopping, NYC has the best reputation. Other regions of the country differ in terms of climate and culture. Philadelphia offers essentially the same climate & the same general culture as DC & NYC, but is second-rate in terms of actual tourist interest.
I couldn't disagree more. Not to mention, you must be unaware of the fact that some of Philly's biggest feeder tourism markets are European countries (e.g., UK, Germany and Italy): http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/0...nited-kingdom/

In many respects, Europeans are much more interested in American history than Americans are. The fact Europeans of many different nationalities settled colonial America (not to slight Native Americans) is extremely intriguing to them, and of course Philadelphia was arguably the epicenter of that time.

You're also very much under-counting the attractions of Philly. They're very unique attractions that are not replicated in NY, DC or Boston -- so it's not like any of those cities serve as a "stand-in" for Philly.

Also, the "overshadowing" argument is beyond overplayed. Especially in Europe, major cities tend to be in close proximity to one another -- similar to the Northeast Corridor. The fact that Philly is a relatively short bus or train ride away (and linked on the only true "high-speed" line in the US, no less) from NY and DC is a HUGE asset for Philly. On the contrary, that proximity is a very compelling reason to visit Philly.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-10-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Not to mention, you must be unaware of the fact that some of Philly's biggest feeder tourism markets are European countries (e.g., UK, Germany and Italy): Most of Philadelphia's Visitors Come from the United Kingdom | News | Philadelphia Magazine
Your link says Philadelphia the 13th most visited city in the US for overseas visitors, and of those visitors, most come from the UK. Philadelphia is something like the fifth or sixth largest city in the country, so that figure tells me Philadelphia is a less popular tourist attraction for international tourists relative to its population size. The article also says nothing of the relative importance of domestic visitors, so it does not support your statement (or the very poorly worded title of the article, for the matter).

Quote:
In many respects, Europeans are much more interested in American history than Americans are. The fact Europeans of many different nationalities settled colonial America (not to slight Native Americans) is extremely intriguing to them, and of course Philadelphia was arguably the epicenter of that time.
That can be the case, but I don't see it as a very big draw. And why would this be more interesting to Europeans as opposed to European-Americans?

Quote:
You're also very much under-counting the attractions of Philly. They're very unique attractions that are not replicated in NY, DC or Boston -- so it's not like any of those cities serve as a "stand-in" for Philly.
Many places have very unique attractions, but they don't always draw large numbers of visitors because other attractions in other places are commonly seen as better uses of time and money.

Quote:
Also, the "overshadowing" argument is beyond overplayed. Especially in Europe, major cities tend to be in close proximity to one another -- similar to the Northeast Corridor. The fact that Philly is a relatively short bus or train ride away (and linked on the only true "high-speed" line in the US, no less) from NY and DC is a HUGE asset for Philly. On the contrary, that proximity is a very compelling reason to visit Philly.
Maybe it can be a compelling reason to visit, but it certainly isn't a compelling reason to stay very long.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:13 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Your link says Philadelphia the 13th most visited city in the US for overseas visitors, and of those visitors, most come from the UK. Philadelphia is something like the fifth or sixth largest city in the country, so that figure tells me Philadelphia is a less popular tourist attraction for international tourists relative to its population size. The article also says nothing of the relative importance of domestic visitors, so it does not support your statement (or the very poorly worded title of the article, for the matter).
1. Considering that Philly used to be the 21st most visited city by overseas visitors as late as late as the early 2000s, that's a massive improvement.

2. When you filter out cities that are designed/function almost exclusively for tourists, such as Orlando, Las Vegas, Miami and Honolulu (e.g., rank the "real" cities), Philly ranks in the top 10.

3. There are fluctuations from year-to-year. When you look at the general class of cities that Philly ranks with very closely (Houston and Atlanta), Philadelphia is definitely in the approximate range that it should be.

Quote:
That can be the case, but I don't see it as a very big draw. And why would this be more interesting to Europeans as opposed to European-Americans?
People who live here obviously get exposed this stuff on a day-to-day basis, or have seen it several times. I don't understand why it's so much of stretch that colonial American history would be novel and different for foreign visitors.

Quote:
Many places have very unique attractions, but they don't always draw large numbers of visitors because other attractions in other places are commonly seen as better uses of time and money.
Broad brush statement. If something is interesting and compelling enough, many people will travel to see it. Especially if there is a critical mass of it and not difficult to get to (not to mention, cheaper than either NY or DC). Again, this is something that plays into Philly's favor, as has been evidenced by the actual increase in foreign visitation in recent years. Much of it comes down to marketing, and Philly has done a remarkable job improving just that.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Much of it comes down to marketing, and Philly has done a remarkable job improving just that.
Center City has done a much better job in the past 10-20 years in marketing their tourist industry and it shows. The Center City District does a great job keeping Center City clean and well kept.The renewal of Market East is going to be a huge benefit . However I would argue that the city as a whole could do much more in cleaning and maintaining the roadways that get you to Center City. They are in pretty hellish condition and do not give off the right vibe for anyone. Broad Street is poorly kept. 26th street merging with Schuylkill are eyesorish disaster zones.

Spend a little money on removing graffiti,landscaping,picking up trash.

If you have 13 M visitors traveling thru the city and tens of millions annual regional commuters give them a clean well kept drive to enjoy. The investment will pay off tenfold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia