Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you seen pictures of the Independence Hall area before Independence Hall was fixed up? That would tell you the value of Independence Mall. I hope that the city has a lock on that land & no one can ever build on it again.
Yes I have seen those photos. It was amazing its unfortunate everything was bulldozed instead of refurbished.

They should be building an 18th century faux colonial development on the vacant grass lot in question.Between Market/Arch 5th/6th. Try and envision a row of 4 story restaurants/bars there with you and your friends sharing a few drinks on a 3rd floor outdoor balcony overlooking a brightly lit Liberty Bell + Independence Hall. Now you're talking.

A grass lot? Not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yes I have seen those photos. It was amazing its unfortunate everything was bulldozed instead of refurbished.

There should be building an 18th century faux colonial development on the vacant grass lot in question.Between Market/Arch 5th/6th. Try and envision a row of 4 story restaurants/bars there with you and your friends sharing a few drinks on a 3rd floor outdoor balcony overlooking a brightly lit Liberty Bell + Independence Hall. Now you're talking.

A grass lot? Not so much
I doubt that William Penn would agree with you.

Green Country Town | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

William Penn called it his “greene country towne”

Independence National Historical Park | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

On the first Earth Day, college students gathered at Independence Mall. It was one of the locations for protests of the Vietnam War.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:29 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Have you seen pictures of the Independence Hall area before Independence Hall was fixed up? That would tell you the value of Independence Mall. I hope that the city has a lock on that land & no one can ever build on it again.
Hmmm, how much of it is actually managed by the federal government? I honestly don't know.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:

They should be building an 18th century faux colonial development on the vacant grass lot in question.Between Market/Arch 5th/6th. Try and envision a row of 4 story restaurants/bars there with you and your friends sharing a few drinks on a 3rd floor outdoor balcony overlooking a brightly lit Liberty Bell + Independence Hall. Now you're talking.

A grass lot? Not so much
I actually agree with your point here. Just like old buildings could have been re-purposed along Market St further west. Instead we got the horrific Gallery "box".

Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I actually agree with your point here.
Perhaps there is hope for you afterall.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Perhaps there is hope for you afterall.
Hey, it's still Mother's Day. Maybe I'm feeling generous.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Yes it was far more interesting. Chestnut St across from independence mall was lined with bank buildings from the 19th c. Razing them for an idiotic grass lot with taxpayer money was ridiculous. Occasionally people circulate photos of old city from after the government began the process of emptying it out as a form of deceptive justification. Dock st market before urban renewal looked a pot like any old market and would likely be a huge to tourist draw today if they'd kept it.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Yes it was far more interesting. Chestnut St across from independence mall was lined with bank buildings from the 19th c. Razing them for an idiotic grass lot with taxpayer money was ridiculous. Occasionally people circulate photos of old city from after the government began the process of emptying it out as a form of deceptive justification. Dock st market before urban renewal looked a pot like any old market and would likely be a huge to tourist draw today if they'd kept it.
Dock St was pretty awful, IMO. And remember, Society Hill was a ghetto.

Trying to second guess some of the decisions made a long time ago about these things doesn't really help. But, we can try to be more intelligent about what gets saved in the future.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
^should be banned.
Do you think Philly couldn't? Of shouldn't have such a Tourist attraction on its Waterfront? If so give SPACIFICS? Why not?

The THREAD ask for SUGGESTIONS Philly could do to get more TOURIST? I merely KNOW How SUCESSFUL, Navy Pier in. Chicago BECAME INSTANTLY. AND TOURIST FLOCK TO IT and it is REVENUE BONANZA..... It is like 15-20 years old and already being changed and remodeled, to keep variety and people continuing to go to it. It IS THE BIGGEST TOURIST VISITED SIGHT IN THE UPPER MIDWEST.

I MADE A SUGGESTION ON THE THREAD TOPIC? ABOUT.....BRINGING IN MORE TOURIST????

Sure it takes planning? City and local Developers? But you have a Pier type structure there, could be more....a good spot for access? Columbus Blvd. A ASSET THAT Again? I see could be PHILLY'S premier Riverfront Drive. For High-End housing and Riverfront attractions? Land available along the Blvd. And across from that location on Google streetview...I said I COULD SEE A PIER LIKE ATTRACTION, AMUSEMENT COMPLEX? UTILIZING THE RIVER IN SUMMER FOR BOAT RIDES FOR TOURIST, DINER CRUISES ON THE DELAWARE FROM THERE....ECT. You already have some Harbors there. Also, it's Right in the shadow of THE BEN FRANKLIN BRIDGE. LIGHT IT UP WITH COLOR AND SHOW IT OFF.

Maybe we should just keep talking a about or hoping some Retailer comes to a Mall in Center City? FOR ATTRACTING LOTS OF TOURIST??? You have plenty of Big Malls outside of Philly, and to Lancaster? Tourist DO NOT Need to go to Center City to a Mall? The Market Place is much more marketable to tourist, to me though.... as different.

Again what COMMENT OR SUGGESTION I MADE IN THE POST? WARRENTS? In your use of the word???? BANNED?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Do you think Philly couldn't? Of shouldn't have such a Tourist attraction on its Waterfront? If so give SPACIFICS? Why not?

The THREAD ask for SUGGESTIONS Philly could do to get more TOURIST? I merely KNOW How SUCESSFUL, Navy Pier in. Chicago BECAME INSTANTLY. AND TOURIST FLOCK TO IT and it is REVENUE BONANZA..... It is like 15-20 years old and already being changed and remodeled, to keep variety and people continuing to go to it. It IS THE BIGGEST TOURIST VISITED SIGHT IN THE UPPER MIDWEST.

I MADE A SUGGESTION ON THE THREAD TOPIC? ABOUT.....BRINGING IN MORE TOURIST????

Sure it takes planning? City and local Developers? But you have a Pier type structure there, could be more....a good spot for access? Columbus Blvd. A ASSET THAT Again? I see could be PHILLY'S premier Riverfront Drive. For High-End housing and Riverfront attractions? Land available along the Blvd. And across from that location on Google streetview...I said I COULD SEE A PIER LIKE ATTRACTION, AMUSEMENT COMPLEX? UTILIZING THE RIVER IN SUMMER FOR BOAT RIDES FOR TOURIST, DINER CRUISES ON THE DELAWARE FROM THERE....ECT. You already have some Harbors there. Also, it's Right in the shadow of THE BEN FRANKLIN BRIDGE. LIGHT IT UP WITH COLOR AND SHOW IT OFF.

Maybe we should just keep talking a about or hoping some Retailer comes to a Mall in Center City? FOR ATTRACTING LOTS OF TOURIST??? You have plenty of Big Malls outside of Philly, and to Lancaster? Tourist DO NOT Need to go to Center City to a Mall? The Market Place is much more marketable to tourist, to me though.... as different.

Again what COMMENT OR SUGGESTION I MADE IN THE POST? WARRENTS? In y?
Because, we, as honest to God Philadelphians, want to resolve our own issues.

And, as I said before, some of what you suggested has already been discussed in the Phila. We already get a lot of tourists. The thread was addressed to people WHO LIVE HERE about how to generate more tourism. We know the area intimately. You don't. Therefore it makes more sense for US to discuss it. Not you!

You continue to inject "Chicago solutions" to a place that has different history, topography, and weather. What for?

Btw, there are summer dinner cruises on the Delaware River. And there are tourist boat excursions. It's call Ride the Ducks. We are rehabbing our old piers one-by-one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia