Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:54 PM

120 posts, read 73,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
Hahahaha...yeah Ikr. I don't want Philly to have a bad reputation, but we're in the NE ppl aren't as charming as the south. Ppl were waving, holding doors, and sparking conversations in Columbia, SC. It was a culture shock for me bc it wasn't just once it was frequent. I'd love to stay if it weren't so boring. Just the other day a guy was killed over a parking spot at Pat's. I don't know where these fools are equating our slogan with real life attitude. As if, the minute you cross that bridge, or step off the plane everyone's gonna start hugging one another. What fantasy these non natives live in.
I live in the south right now and all the southern mannerisms are obnoxious as ****. Sometimes its ok when people will be friendly, but sometimes its annoying when Im trying to let a person go at a 4 way stop and they keep trying to out friendly me instead of following the rules of the road. They keep waving at me to go when they have a right away and im just like "wtf are you doing, your there first, just go". And after like two times of them saying that I can go, I just go since if not ill be there all day.

And there are a ton of extremely rude people in the south, they are just rude in a different way. Anytime you need a service done and when they do it half *** and you tell them to correct something, they roll their eyes and act offended. Like my mom goes to the doctors and they cant fill her meds right and she has to call them and talk to them like they are children just to get them to fix something every other week. The worth ethic is just very bad in a majority of the south minus maybe Atlanta or Houston.

Northerners in general take alot more pride in their work and try to be efficient. They dont sell you a bunch of friendly bs, they just want to trade their goods/services for money and do it in a professional way. I for the life of me wont ever live in the south again just because its extremely stressful trying to rely on someone to do some of the most simple jobs and everyone thinks they need to be self sufficient about everything. Its like, no I cant fix a car or change my ceiling fan, I dont have the time or the knowledge to do that and need help that isnt trying to destroy my house and be my buddy somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:33 PM

79 posts, read 43,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcurry91210 View Post
I live in the south right now and all the southern mannerisms are obnoxious as ****. Sometimes its ok when people will be friendly, but sometimes its annoying when Im trying to let a person go at a 4 way stop and they keep trying to out friendly me instead of following the rules of the road. They keep waving at me to go when they have a right away and im just like "wtf are you doing, your there first, just go". And after like two times of them saying that I can go, I just go since if not ill be there all day.

And there are a ton of extremely rude people in the south, they are just rude in a different way. Anytime you need a service done and when they do it half *** and you tell them to correct something, they roll their eyes and act offended. Like my mom goes to the doctors and they cant fill her meds right and she has to call them and talk to them like they are children just to get them to fix something every other week. The worth ethic is just very bad in a majority of the south minus maybe Atlanta or Houston.

Northerners in general take alot more pride in their work and try to be efficient. They dont sell you a bunch of friendly bs, they just want to trade their goods/services for money and do it in a professional way. I for the life of me wont ever live in the south again just because its extremely stressful trying to rely on someone to do some of the most simple jobs and everyone thinks they need to be self sufficient about everything. Its like, no I cant fix a car or change my ceiling fan, I dont have the time or the knowledge to do that and need help that isnt trying to destroy my house and be my buddy somehow.
I know said it was a culture shock that people were holding the doors, but ppl do hold the doors at least in Philly. However, you must be within a few feet behind the person going thru it, or else they're not just gonna stand there smiling and waiting. And, on the city transportation people will cut in front of you to get on the bus first. As for what you said in the bolded, driving is very competitive here for some odd reason, you find the other driver trying to out pace you. Ppl ride your tail, and don't give you a chance to do anything. Everyone's in a hurry to go around you only to approach a red light. It's annoying! Ppl are very short tempered when it comes to driving here. South Philly has the worst parking I have ever seen. The 4 way stop situation occurs a lot in the Norristown suburban areas outside of Philly. They drive way less aggressive out there than we do in Philly. It's annoying sitting at stop for 5 entire seconds when nothing visibly is in site the person moving along like sloths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia