Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
One thing that wasn't mentioned in your post was the weather. Pennsylvania (and the northeast) in general experiences more temperature extremes and winters can be cold and windy. Walking around outside might be fun in the summer, but doing it when the wind chill is near 0 is probably not going to be pleasant. If you've never been up here in the wintertime, this weekend would be a good test as temperatures across the state Saturday night are going to be around 0.

Cost of living will probably be higher. You might be able to secure an apartment under $1000, but you're going to have to make sacrifices with commuting and/or safety. You'll also have to pay state income taxes and a city wage tax.
The wind chill is rarely near 0 here. Winter isn't as bad in Philadelphia as it is in other parts of the Northeast (and technically Philly is in the MidAtlantic).

As for being concerned about the lack of green, OP, don't be.

Philadelphia Named One Of The 10 Best Cities For Parks In The World By Frommer’s – Uwishunu – Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Philly's also home to one of the biggest urban green spaces in the country.

Fairmount Park — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discontent_doodle View Post
Thank you all for such stellar advice! That's a fantastic list of neighborhoods and a great place to start.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it in person so I can really get a feel for it. The lack of green is a little concerning -- I'm a city girl, but I love love love trees and grass: )

MissClutterbuck: I certainly hope to move there WITH a job, but you just never know. I'm willing to struggle along with with my savings for a couple of months before I find something. I've done it before, thought it's obviously not ideal. I do have a licence so I could do Zipcar -- I just really hate driving and parking: )

Kidphilly: I'm worried about COL in DC (though Boston is no better!) as well as being surrounded by politics. Maybe it's not noticeable, but I have a bit of a dislike for the political scene. It seems like an amazing place though and maybe worth checking out when I'm out that way.
Oddly the answers so far have not mentioned that Philadelphia has the largest, I think, urban park in the country: Fairmount Park.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:47 PM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Wonder if you will stay socially liberal if you move to Baltimore; Philly is better but neither place is Austin TX. Boston, too expensive, especially with your housing budget.
I met quite a few transplants here who changed their views after a few years of dealing with the natives.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
The wind chill is rarely near 0 here. Winter isn't as bad in Philadelphia as it is in other parts of the Northeast (and technically Philly is in the MidAtlantic).

As for being concerned about the lack of green, OP, don't be.

Philadelphia Named One Of The 10 Best Cities For Parks In The World By Frommer’s – Uwishunu – Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Philly's also home to one of the biggest urban green spaces in the country.

Fairmount Park — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
My wife and I moved from NC to Philly. I grew up in NYC and went to college in Philly, so I was used to NorthEast weather, my wife ... not so much. Here's a link to a page on my woefully out of date Why Philly? web site: http://philly.codecraftersinc.com/st...imatezones.gif. As you can see, a lot of the climate zone maps put Piedmont/central NC and southeast PA in the same zone. Summers are much better (cooler, less humid, but shorter) than NC or Austin. And winter is less atrocious than Boston.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,934 times
Hey!

Austin resident here as well looking to move to the east coast, most likely Philly, though sooner than you (in the next 6 months).

Just thought I would give a shout out and let you know you're not alone!!!

Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 14,240 times
Hi FissFiss! Good to know I'm not the only one: ) I wish you the best of luck for your move! It's a little daunting, but I'm looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia