Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,854 times

Advertisements

I would also like to see a ban on smoking in public outdoor spaces. Smoking is disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Smoking in public places indoors is largely over in the city and area. There will be very little for you to get used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 8,239 times
When are you moving? July 2017
Where are you coming from? Scotland UK
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Self Employed, Office in Centre City
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent at least for a few months
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Apartment, $1300
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Don't know what a walk-up is but don't like hi-rise too much

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Doesn't Matter
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? Depends on public transport / proximity to centre city
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Bustling Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work

Old 12-09-2016, 11:02 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
In/adjacent to Center City (Philly-speak for "downtown"):
Fitler Square
Queen Village
Bella Vista
Fairmount
Spring Garden

Close to Center City (walking distance or short public transit)
East Passyunk
Northern Liberties

Also:
Fishtown
Brewerytown

Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
In/adjacent to Center City (Philly-speak for "downtown"):
Fitler Square
Queen Village
Bella Vista
Fairmount
Spring Garden

Close to Center City (walking distance or short public transit)
East Passyunk
Northern Liberties

Also:
Fishtown
Brewerytown
Nowadays I would add Francisville to the top list. Yes, Brewerytown is getting attention again. Some big pub opened in the old Acme Market warehouse that was in Brewerytown

OP, neighborhoods in University City may work for you as well.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM

I will check all of these out, thanks for your suggestions.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Don't think I can add much more to what's already been said, other than I completely agree that Philly has changed in a much more positive direction since 2008.

And all online forums, this one included, have a tendency to attract a disproportionate amount of blatant negativity and vitriol that doesn't at all reflect reality.

Of course, Philly is not without its flaws, but I think coming from Scotland, you'd be MUCH more comfortable and have MUCH less of a "culture shock" in a major Northeast US city than South Florida. (This part of the US is much closer to European culture, with much greater walkability, history, urban vibrance, public transit, progressive attitudes, etc., although it's still the US so still has similarities to the nation at large).

As an aside, I vacationed in Scotland a couple years back and had a fantastic time--very lovely country. In fact, I felt a bit of a Philly vibe when I was in Glasgow, so that might be a relatively good comparison for you.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM

193 posts, read 204,637 times
I moved to Philadelphia from Fort Lauderdale in 2002. I retired to FTL from Washington, D.C. primarily because of the climate--I hate cold weather! I first lived in Victoria Park (downtown) but then moved to AIA between the ocean and the intra-coastal waterway. I loved the tropical feel of the area, but there were two things I could never get used to--(1) I needed a car to survive--everything is so spread out and traffic was a nightmare; and (2) I was bored out of my brains down there--there wasn't a whole lot to do that I was interested in.

So---I thought I'd give Philly a try. I'd never lived here before but Center City seemed to offer the two things I found most lacking in FTL--the ability to survive easily without a car, and LOTS of interesting things to experience. I really didn't think I would stay here long (the winter of 2002-03 was brutal), but the longer I stayed, the more I liked the city. Long story short, I've lived here now for 14-years and will probably never leave--I love this town! Center City is a fun and exciting place to live with some beautiful, historic neighborhoods. And being able to walk or public transit to everything I need makes living here incredibly convenient. If you've never been to Philly, you owe it to yourself to visit.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As an aside, I vacationed in Scotland a couple years back and had a fantastic time--very lovely country. In fact, I felt a bit of a Philly vibe when I was in Glasgow, so that might be a relatively good comparison for you.
Well I'm from Glasgow so that's good to know.

Additionally, I've been looking at some apartments for rent and wondered if the price generally included things like water, sewage, electric, HOA fees etc or is this all extra?

Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aws0002 View Post
Well I'm from Glasgow so that's good to know.

Additionally, I've been looking at some apartments for rent and wondered if the price generally included things like water, sewage, electric, HOA fees etc or is this all extra?
HOA fees are for condominiums not rentals.

What rentals include varies. But usually renters have to pay for electric not water or sewage.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,854 times
Just like property taxes, the rent includes HOA fees if you rent a condo. However, unlike in the UK where the tenant pays property taxes (council tax), the tenants in the US don't get a property tax bill. But the LL includes the cost of property tax in the rent. Rent also usually includes water and sewage.

So yes, the tenant foots the property taxes, without getting a tax deduction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
HOA fees are for condominiums not rentals.

What rentals include varies. But usually renters have to pay for electric not water or sewage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia