Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 14,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I (and two kids) currently live in Philadelphia but are planning to move to the suburbs. We've been trying to visit a bunch of possible towns but it's hard to get a real sense of what it would be like to live in them from an afternoon. I'd like to live somewhere that isn't too snobby, so we're thinking of avoiding the main line Bryn Mawr and east. But I'd also like to live somewhere that isn't too conservative. I'd love a healthy mix, but I don't want to feel out of place being a progressive liberal.

From our research (including the forums on this site) we've narrowed down our choices to Media (including Wallingford / Swarthmore etc.), Wayne, Berwyn, Paoli, or Malvern. The consensus on these forums seems to be that the Media / Swarthmore area is pretty liberal, but I'm having a hard time gauging from this website and others whether the Wayne / Berwyn / Paoli / Malvern area is closer in "vibe" to the main line (i.e. liberal but snobby) or to the rest of Pennsylvania (i.e. conservative / religious). Obviously we're looking for something in between.

As an aside, we'd like a decent sized yard and so we can't find anything we can afford in the burbs closer to the city like Narberth. We're looking for something in the $500,000 - $600,000 range.

Any advice? And I apologize in advance for making generalizations about areas of the burbs. I know that none of these towns are homogenous.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:29 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
From what little I know, I sense the same vibe with you about Media (including Wallingford / Swarthmore etc.), Wayne, Berwyn, Paoli, or Malvern. Swarthmore is more liberal per se cause the college there is liberal there overall (the students are really in their own bubble too to an extreme). It sounds like if you can afford something toward Media, that's your better bet. Media's quaint downtown is nice. Drexel Hill, maybe Clifton Heights, Ridley Park, or Aldan would be worth considering if you don't mind the taxes.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
I would say as a general rule the upper middle class areas of Philadelphia tend to be socially liberal and fiscally moderate/ conservative. You of course have liberal strongholds (Swarthmore) and conservative strongholds (Aston), but as a whole you won't find too much of the extreme conservative/ overly religious attitude in this part of the state (thank goodness).

And depending on what you want in a specific suburb, I would also say you pretty much cannot go wrong with the Media area. West Chester is another good option, and $500k will take you further in West Chester then it does in the closer burbs of Wayne, Media, Berwyn, etc.

Also, the above poster meant well, but do not look into Drexel Hill, Clifton Heights, Ridley Park or Aldan if you have kids, the schools are poor to average. Plus those are very blue collar working class towns, if that is what you want then they are options, but they are quite different then the Media area, Wayne, Berwyn, and West Chester. Also since you have a $600k budget you can certainly do a lot better than Clifton Heights. (no offense to Clifton Heights).

Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban suburban View Post
Hi,

My husband and I (and two kids) currently live in Philadelphia but are planning to move to the suburbs. We've been trying to visit a bunch of possible towns but it's hard to get a real sense of what it would be like to live in them from an afternoon. I'd like to live somewhere that isn't too snobby, so we're thinking of avoiding the main line Bryn Mawr and east. But I'd also like to live somewhere that isn't too conservative. I'd love a healthy mix, but I don't want to feel out of place being a progressive liberal.

From our research (including the forums on this site) we've narrowed down our choices to Media (including Wallingford / Swarthmore etc.), Wayne, Berwyn, Paoli, or Malvern. The consensus on these forums seems to be that the Media / Swarthmore area is pretty liberal, but I'm having a hard time gauging from this website and others whether the Wayne / Berwyn / Paoli / Malvern area is closer in "vibe" to the main line (i.e. liberal but snobby) or to the rest of Pennsylvania (i.e. conservative / religious). Obviously we're looking for something in between.

As an aside, we'd like a decent sized yard and so we can't find anything we can afford in the burbs closer to the city like Narberth. We're looking for something in the $500,000 - $600,000 range.

Any advice? And I apologize in advance for making generalizations about areas of the burbs. I know that none of these towns are homogenous.

Thanks!
You've got it in reverse. East of Bryn Mawr is less snobby. I.e. Ardmore, Wynnewood and Narberth. I would actually include Bryn Mawr, east of Bryn Mawr Ave, as less snobby. I say that although the Haverford School( which straddles Lower Merion and Haverford Twps.) in Haverford, is snobby for sure.

Also look north too. Elkins Park, Jenkintown, Glenside, or Ambler.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 AM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You've got it in reverse. East of Bryn Mawr is less snobby. I.e. Ardmore, Wynnewood and Narberth. I would actually include Bryn Mawr, east of Bryn Mawr Ave, as less snobby. I say that although the Haverford School( which straddles Lower Merion and Haverford Twps.) in Haverford, is snobby for sure.

Also look north too. Elkins Park, Jenkintown, Glenside, or Ambler.
I agree with this. Ardmore and Bryn Mawr seem way less snobby than Wayne. They also have a fairly liberal/progressive population.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM

377 posts, read 474,665 times
Only been here (Wynnewood) ~7 months but haven't encountered any snobbiness yet. Our neighbors are super friendly and almost every house on the street had a blue sign last November if that's helpful for you.

We had a similar budget and as I continue to look at Zillow listings I think we really lucked out on timing, but we did sacrifice the yard as you mentioned. Most of it is in front/on the side. But lots of kids playing in front yards/in the street and there's a park down the street so we're very happy.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Only been here (Wynnewood) ~7 months but haven't encountered any snobbiness yet. Our neighbors are super friendly and almost every house on the street had a blue sign last November if that's helpful for you.

We had a similar budget and as I continue to look at Zillow listings I think we really lucked out on timing, but we did sacrifice the yard as you mentioned. Most of it is in front/on the side. But lots of kids playing in front yards/in the street and there's a park down the street so we're very happy.
Wynnewood flipped politically but it's pretty much the same as it always has been that is comfortable, nice, safe.

For the OP, the Lankanau Medical Center(Main Line Health) is in Wynnewood. And the Bryn Mawr Hospital(also Main Line Health)is in downtown Bryn Mawr. If this kind of thing is important to you.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 14,105 times
Thanks for this great advice everyone! Sounds like Wayne has a bit of a snob factor... What about Devon/Berwyn/Paoli/Malvern? Are they as bad?

Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban suburban View Post
Thanks for this great advice everyone! Sounds like Wayne has a bit of a snob factor... What about Devon/Berwyn/Paoli/Malvern? Are they as bad?
Let's break this down by county.

The Main Line covers the southeast corner of Montgomery County, the northwest corner of Delaware County and the northeast portion of Chester County.

The railroad line from which the area takes its name runs through Montgomery County, just above the Delaware County line, until just before Villanova, when it enters Radnor Township, Delaware County. Villanova, Radnor, St. Davids and Wayne stations are all in Radnor Township. Past that point, you're in Chester County.

Devon is home to the huge horse show in the spring. It's pretty haute-bourgeois, much like the portion of Radnor Township (the wealthiest community in Delaware County) that lies on the Main Line proper.

Paoli is not as hoity-toity - it's also home to one of the Main Line Health hospitals, Paoli Memorial, and has a "downtown" along the lines of Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and Wayne.

I haven't gotten enough of a feel for Malvern to say where it falls on this divide. It's part of the "extended Main Line," however - the old Pennsylvania Railroad commuter service ended at Paoli.

Lower Merion Township is probably more your speed politically than the other Main Line municipalities - it was once reliably Republican but is now run by a Democratic-majority board of commissioners. All of Wynnewood and Merion (Station) and the northern parts of Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont and Villanova lie in the township. So does all of Gladwyne, hands down the richest and snobbiest of the Main Line communities - but it's not located along the railroad line.

Parts of Ardmore*, Haverford and Bryn Mawr lie in Haverford Township, Delaware County, where most of the college of that name also lies. Most of Haverford is more middle-class than the Main Line portion of the township, and its school district is also highly regarded. I'm not sure what that township's politics are, though; however, you might want to school yourself on it too.

*Most of the Haverford Township portion of Ardmore consists of South Ardmore, the oldest and largest of the Main Line's three historically black neighborhoods (the other two are in Radnor Township (!) and Tredyffrin Township, Chester County). If you're looking for racial diversity to go along with your good schools and suburban walkability, this is about as close as you're going to get.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Let's break this down by county.

The Main Line covers the southeast corner of Montgomery County, the northwest corner of Delaware County and the northeast portion of Chester County.

The railroad line from which the area takes its name runs through Montgomery County, just above the Delaware County line, until just before Villanova, when it enters Radnor Township, Delaware County. Villanova, Radnor, St. Davids and Wayne stations are all in Radnor Township. Past that point, you're in Chester County.

Devon is home to the huge horse show in the spring. It's pretty haute-bourgeois, much like the portion of Radnor Township (the wealthiest community in Delaware County) that lies on the Main Line proper.

Paoli is not as hoity-toity - it's also home to one of the Main Line Health hospitals, Paoli Memorial, and has a "downtown" along the lines of Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and Wayne.

I haven't gotten enough of a feel for Malvern to say where it falls on this divide. It's part of the "extended Main Line," however - the old Pennsylvania Railroad commuter service ended at Paoli.

Lower Merion Township is probably more your speed politically than the other Main Line municipalities - it was once reliably Republican but is now run by a Democratic-majority board of commissioners. All of Wynnewood and Merion (Station) and the northern parts of Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont and Villanova lie in the township. So does all of Gladwyne, hands down the richest and snobbiest of the Main Line communities - but it's not located along the railroad line.

Parts of Ardmore*, Haverford and Bryn Mawr lie in Haverford Township, Delaware County, where most of the college of that name also lies. Most of Haverford is more middle-class than the Main Line portion of the township, and its school district is also highly regarded. I'm not sure what that township's politics are, though; however, you might want to school yourself on it too.

*Most of the Haverford Township portion of Ardmore consists of South Ardmore, the oldest and largest of the Main Line's three historically black neighborhoods (the other two are in Radnor Township (!) and Tredyffrin Township, Chester County). If you're looking for racial diversity to go along with your good schools and suburban walkability, this is about as close as you're going to get.
Just one minor clarification on Ardmore/Haverford Township: the historically black portion is actually centered in Lower Merion, between Lancaster Avenue and County Line Road. Haverford Township's portion is much more white, just like Haverford Township as a whole. Haverford Township is more conservative as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia