Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:35 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
We eat at home about 4 nights a week, running to RTM and/or various grocery stores about twice each week (MOM's Organic may soon play into the mix).Vegetables and meat/fish are typically fresh each meal. We are younger older people and can carry 1 - 2 bags each without a problem. About once a month we drive to pick up heavy and bulky items, such as laundry detergent and paper towels.

Keep in mind I am retired and have time to shop and cook that I never had when working. My working husband joins me on many of these excursions, however. It all depends on how a person prioritizes their time. b
Don't know, of course, where anyone is with this but one of the major reasons I kept my car much longer than I would have was elder care duties. Having a car made that considerably easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
It is paid off. I'd keep it. If you sell it, then realize hey, I need a car like just about everyone else then you are back to car payments.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 AM

288 posts, read 245,055 times
I'd sell it. The insurance payments might be minimal, but it's still money you can keep in your pocket instead. Or use that money towards Uber/car share/food or meal delivery services. Plus, you'd still need to pay to have it inspected annually, a parking permit (I assume it will be parked on a permitted block) and maintenance.

I work in DE but am hunting for a job in Philly so that I wouldn't need a car. If I make the exact same salary with a job in Philly, I'd still end up on top since not having a car would free up ~$800/month between payments, gas, insurance, maintenance. Take out my car payments to more closely match your situation and I'd still free up $400/month.

I have a bike and two feet and the MFL nearby, so that is enough for me. Will I miss driving over to Wegmans in Cherry Hill or parking across from Reading Terminal? Sure, but that's def not worth $800/month.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
If it's paid for, keep it for 6 months or so and see if it's worth the hassle and expense. No reason to rush the decision.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If it's a pain for you, of course don't do it. Driving is a pain for me.

Some people use the little fold-up rolling carts to bring groceries home. To date, we haven't seen the need for one, but perhaps when we're older? We'll cross that bridge should it come.
I live in Center City and don't drive either, which is why I suggested Peapod, or Uber/Lyft for major shopping trips.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Re: Shopping

If you try to grocery shop like an American, then walking for groceries is going to be a pain. One large weekly trip to get everything you could ever imagine you'd need in a week's time is better done by car. However, if you live in a neighborhood that has smaller specialty markets like I do (e.g. butcher, fish market, specialty grocer, bakery), you can grab a handful of stuff a few times a week. I think it's a fresher, better way to shop that inspires less waste and more freedom with what you cook (cook what you feel like cooking). That also makes the walk do-able since you won't be carrying a full grocery cart worth of goods.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting someone goes to a place like Passyunk's Acme 3 days a week (large parking lot, large store, long checkout lines). I'm referring to a place like Ippolito's Fish Market or Metropolitan Bakery. A place that is quick, easy and enjoyable.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,243 times
I like the idea of trial by the commitment to keeping my car parked. I think I'll try two full weeks and see how everything feels. For groceries I am going to get myself both a cart and a large basket/crate for the back of my bike (which I've been wanting regardless). It's funny that some mention winter weather as a reason for a car. I actually hate driving around people who can't drive in snow (I'm from upstate NY where you practically drive in snow for 3-4 months straight). I also think it will be nice to be forced to walk outdoors for my half mile walk to the trolley station. I don't mind bundling up and that way I'll get fresh air regardless of weather.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:14 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,243 times
By the way I just moved into a more permanent place in the Powleton Village / Mantua area (near 32nd and Haverford). I don't think it is an ideal car-free grocery area, but I can take a bus to the grocery store in Fairmount or the train to the Aldi on 46th (a bit more walking and Aldi is a horrible shopping experience, but the price is right).

Last edited by Muinteoir; 09-18-2017 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-18-2017, 11:37 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I like the idea of trial by the commitment to keeping my car parked. I think I'll try two full weeks and see how everything feels. For groceries I am going to get myself both a cart and a large basket/crate for the back of my bike (which I've been wanting regardless). It's funny that some mention winter weather as a reason for a car. I actually hate driving around people who can't drive in snow (I'm from upstate NY where you practically drive in snow for 3-4 months straight). I also think it will be nice to be forced to walk outdoors for my half mile walk to the trolley station. I don't mind bundling up and that way I'll get fresh air regardless of weather.
It's not really snow that I meant. I was more thinking the temperature hovering just above freezing and raining when you have a sore throat or a cold. I loathe public transit when I'm sick.

My son's friend broke his foot a month ago. He's supposed to stay off of it as much as possible. He can drive, though. He can go anywhere he can get a parking spot by the door, and preferably has a scooter. He's 30. That sort of thing doesn't happen to just seniors.

I've also found a car very useful for ER trips when you don't quite need an ambulance.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's not really snow that I meant. I was more thinking the temperature hovering just above freezing and raining when you have a sore throat or a cold. I loathe public transit when I'm sick.

My son's friend broke his foot a month ago. He's supposed to stay off of it as much as possible. He can drive, though. He can go anywhere he can get a parking spot by the door, and preferably has a scooter. He's 30. That sort of thing doesn't happen to just seniors.

I've also found a car very useful for ER trips when you don't quite need an ambulance.
I certainly had a bunch of ER trips when I was doing elder care so, yes, having my own car was a big help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia