Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

One of the must see traveling destinations for 2020 No longer the bathroom stop between NYC and DC

https://6abc.com/travel/philly-makes...-list/5707036/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Totally agree.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
One of the must see traveling destinations for 2020 No longer the bathroom stop between NYC and DC

https://6abc.com/travel/philly-makes...-list/5707036/
Let's see...

This comes on the heels of The New York Times including Philadelphia in its annual list of "52 Places You Must Visit" in 2017, giving it the No. 2 spot...

...and that was the year after Travel + Leisure readers voted Third Street in Old City one of the top 20 shopping destinations in the world.

And ISTR that Condé Nast Traveler also included it on one of its Places You Must Visit This Year lists.

Ya think we're on a roll here?

Old 11-20-2019, 12:56 PM

752 posts, read 459,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Ya think we're on a roll here?
No, Philly has failed to live up to its expectation as a big city.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:37 PM

273 posts, read 206,986 times
This is good, I just wish these publications would quit with the "scrappy underdog" theme. And I get it when compared with our neighbors to the north, but so is almost every other city. I think we're well beyond that moniker.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:27 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
This is good, I just wish these publications would quit with the "scrappy underdog" theme. And I get it when compared with our neighbors to the north, but so is almost every other city. I think we're well beyond that moniker.
Agree. While its fantastic to see Philadelphia on these lists, comparing it to Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit and calling the city scrappy is rather insulting in my opinion.

This is a situation where being near New York is a curse, if Philadelphia were anywhere else in the nation it would not be referred to as "scrappy"...

Philadelphia is one of the nations largest, most cultured and thriving cities, yes its gritty, but how long do we have to lead with that headline?, its 2019, not 1980.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
The city leadership itself should be more pro-active in the image the city's portrayed. It's been old hat to since the late 90's to continuously watch a sporting event on national television, and see them always showing Pat's or Geno's and talking about cheese steaks & hoagies. Also always mentioning the entire population as being "Blue Collar" and very tough. Showing the Bell, and the Halls are cool, but views of the skyline from the Walt Whitman Bridge, or from West Philly over top of the El tunnel's entrance/exit points facing University City and Center City from that direction while the trains come in and out would be a good look for the national image, or how about the view from one of the far north stations with CC view in place. Or even a ride on the El above line peering out the windows on the west or north sides of the line. Or how about views from The Spirit of Philadelphia on the Delaware.

A look from Market Street East from the ground or overhead would surely make out of towners take first or second look at how Philadelphia is perceived on a national scale.

There's a few more great ones out there I'm sure, but the city's leadership should push towards developing that. We are truly a big bustling city and the world needs to see more of that.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:56 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times
Quote:
Hey,
I’m sitting here in Jersey City right now after flying in from Atlanta, where I was all last week and weekend. I’ll tell you what, neither of those cities hold a candle to Philly. This is my objective opinion.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:01 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Hey,
I’m sitting here in Jersey City right now after flying in from Atlanta, where I was all last week and weekend. I’ll tell you what, neither of those cities hold a candle to Philly. This is my objective opinion.
Tell that to the Georgia folk on the PA vs GA thread, they'll love that.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree. While its fantastic to see Philadelphia on these lists, comparing it to Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit and calling the city scrappy is rather insulting in my opinion.

This is a situation where being near New York is a curse, if Philadelphia were anywhere else in the nation it would not be referred to as "scrappy"...

Philadelphia is one of the nations largest, most cultured and thriving cities, yes its gritty, but how long do we have to lead with that headline?, its 2019, not 1980.
It's annoying because a ton of NY is gritty even in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia