Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 04:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,909,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
If they knew how bad it is, they would be following the guidelines from the experts. Do you for one minute think the realtors association understands anything about pandemics?

Look at what is happening in Italy and tell me if this is a situation you are willing to accept. While you are at it, please read up on the Spanish flu. We are in the middle of a pandemic and people are still partying like they are aboard the Titanic
The order is that people are not able to conduct these activities PHYSICALLY. It doesn't say people can't get on phone calls, use electronic notaries, DocuSign, virtual tours, etc. People are meeting virtually and working remotely, and that's a great thing. Open houses and other co-located physical activities should be discontinued, and I think they mostly are. Although if someone wants to look at a house solo while no one else is there, wearing a mask and gloves, I don't see the problem in that.

The other stuff you're talking about, people partying on boats, is entirely different. People are not taking it seriously enough, and as Bill Gates said, we have no choice but to lock down now (despite the fantasy world Trump is living in).

We will have a similar situation as Italy or worse. That is almost certain. The problem is that we're a bigger country and even harder to corral. I would be surprised, however, if this reaches the 50 - 100M deaths of the Spanish Flu for various reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,572,161 times
The Governor's order does not stop realtors from working from home so why do you think the Realtors Association is requesting for an exemption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The order is that people are not able to conduct these activities PHYSICALLY. It doesn't say people can't get on phone calls, use electronic notaries, DocuSign, virtual tours, etc. People are meeting virtually and working remotely, and that's a great thing. Open houses and other co-located physical activities should be discontinued, and I think they mostly are. Although if someone wants to look at a house solo while no one else is there, wearing a mask and gloves, I don't see the problem in that.

The other stuff you're talking about, people partying on boats, is entirely different. People are not taking it seriously enough, and as Bill Gates said, we have no choice but to lock down now (despite the fantasy world Trump is living in).

We will have a similar situation as Italy or worse. That is almost certain. The problem is that we're a bigger country and even harder to corral. I would be surprised, however, if this reaches the 50 - 100M deaths of the Spanish Flu for various reasons.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The Governor's order does not stop realtors from working from home so why do you think the Realtors Association is requesting for an exemption?
Mainly because closings are incredibly difficult and nearly impossible based on current rules and laws.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 AM

9,439 posts, read 9,454,171 times
Some positive news. I read multiple credible sources stating the virus has a low mutation rate, therefore researchers are becoming more confident that this will be a one time occurrence (not like the recurring flu). If that theory holds steady, that is good news for the future outlook.

My big fear now is the US following Italy and Spains footsteps. It may be a very dark few weeks before, or it may not... the unpredictability is scary.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 AM

153 posts, read 86,090 times
I have been furloughed from my job indefinitely, a week after that my job sent termination lettrs to 25% of its nationwide staff without warning

Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,256,075 times
Quote:
Even after your quarantine period is over, while the pandemic is still on-going, this is not the time for travelling. Please stay in NYC until this is OVER
I agree but NY'ers who can get out are surely going to do it. Whether its to the Catskills,Poconos,Nantucket,Jersey Shore, Aspen,Fla, etc etc...

This aftermath of this pandemic is going to be interesting on where people choose to live. Will the psychological effects of this virus cause citizens + families with means to move away from dense cities and into more suburban/rural areas. Away from hot zones.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I agree but NY'ers who can get out are surely going to do it whether its to the Catskills,Poconos,Jersey Shore, Aspen,Fla, etc etc...

This aftermath of this pandemic is going to be interesting on where people choose to live. Will the psychological effects of this virus cause citizens + families with means to move away from dense cities and into more suburban/rural areas. Away from hot zones.
Hopefully not. What people should take away from this is to ensure they know how to cook a meal or two, have some food in the house (pantry items at least), and be prepared for these types of things so simple goods like toilet paper don't become artifacts of a more civil time. This may inspire people to invest in bidets.

Some better controls regarding disease management, flights, quarantines, etc. would be great too.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:40 PM

9,439 posts, read 9,454,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Hopefully not. What people should take away from this is to ensure they know how to cook a meal or two, have some food in the house (pantry items at least), and be prepared for these types of things so simple goods like toilet paper don't become artifacts of a more civil time.

Some better controls regarding disease management, flights, quarantines, etc. would be great too.
We might have a lot of new drinkers after this too.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:40 PM

7,755 posts, read 5,573,373 times
The stock market skyrocketing back up is making me feel much more at ease. March has been a brutal month.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
We might have a lot of new drinkers after this too.
You're right on. I have heard a lot of people who are drinking more. Although, the liquor stores are closed so I'm sure that's creating some agitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia