Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,814,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Look I hear you guys. No one likes postponing weddings, attending funerals remotely, being cooped up inside, but people, we have WAY bigger issues brewing than some inconveniences. Tens of millions of people are living week to week and soon will be out of "weeks." Tens of thousands of people are going to lose their income and lifelong dreams of operating their own businesses. I mean, I personally know three new restaurant owners (literally opened in late January/Feb) that are now on their last legs. Imagine saving your entire life to go into business for yourself only to declare bankruptcy three months later. Your life it basically ruined. Finally, think what the homeless numbers are going to look like after this. It's scary...
Last summer I was intensely worried that the ongoing trade war would ultimately cause a kind of black swan event. So l was already on edge. But this is WAY beyond anything I had even remotely imagined.

In any case most of us here aware of how, indescribably, bad this is.

Also people who were alive during the Great Depression are , mostly, gone now. My parent were in their late teens and early 20s in the 1930s. They're gone too. The people who went through that no longer exist.

I know a barber and hair stylist who have no livelihoods now.

I worry about the suicides that are inevitable. There has already been an uptick in the suicide prevention business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 02:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,905,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You're wrong. We have not flattened the curve significantly. And we still do not have enough testing. Without real treatments or a vaccine we are not "getting on" with life.

Even when things do free up somewhat, I will not stop wearing a mask, shake hands, go into places that attract more than, oh, 20 people. I could list out all kinds of things that I will not be doing going forward.
That's right. And people and businesses are not stupid. Our government officials are not trusted or really respected in many ways. People and businesses will do what they think is right despite what Trump or Cuomo or anyone else says. I had an executive meeting with my organization today and the direction from the top was that we will stay remote/locked down until the governor loosens up restrictions at the bare minimum. BUT, the decisions for our org will be made based on scientific/medical recommendations, an assessment of risk based on actual numbers, and even then, we will reopen business in a very conservative risk averse manner. The forecast looks to be working remotely through the end of May at a minimum (probably into June in reality), reopening conservatively in a layered approach through July/August, and a contingency plan for dispersing back to remote work at any time for extended periods of time.

And to your point kyb01, me and my family will stay conservative in our lifestyle indefinitely. Until a proven distributed vaccine is a reality, nothing can go back to "normal". No crowded restaurant outings, no sports games, none. Probably through the end of 2021, depending on how it goes.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:52 PM

14,363 posts, read 9,263,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That's right. And people and businesses are not stupid. Our government officials are not trusted or really respected in many ways. People and businesses will do what they think is right despite what Trump or Cuomo or anyone else says. I had an executive meeting with my organization today and the direction from the top was that we will stay remote/locked down until the governor loosens up restrictions at the bare minimum. BUT, the decisions for our org will be made based on scientific/medical recommendations, an assessment of risk based on actual numbers, and even then, we will reopen business in a very conservative risk averse manner. The forecast looks to be working remotely through the end of May at a minimum (probably into June in reality), reopening conservatively in a layered approach through July/August, and a contingency plan for dispersing back to remote work at any time for extended periods of time.

And to your point kyb01, me and my family will stay conservative in our lifestyle indefinitely. Until a proven distributed vaccine is a reality, nothing can go back to "normal". No crowded restaurant outings, no sports games, none. Probably through the end of 2021, depending on how it goes.
I think that even we less risk-averse types won't simply return to doing everything the way we used to do it once the restrictions are eased.

I will need to keep my distance from people whose infection status I don't know, and that will include friends who I haven't kept in touch with and thus don't know where they've been or what they've been doing, for instance.

No outings to crowded restaurants or bars for me either. And it's likely that when those establishments are allowed to reopen, there will be spacing requirements between tables and seats at tables.

Entertaining at home will be possible, but I'll need to keep the guest lists short and ask everyone to wash their hands when entering.

Things like that.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:58 PM

390 posts, read 272,178 times
I of course am going to follow any guidelines/restrictions from the government but the day we are allowed to go to a restaurant/bar/sporting event I will be there. I can’t handle the isolation for much longer.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No one is asking me, but I'd keep $#!t closed until June 1st.

If people would cooperate -- which I don't think they would -- I'd say start a gradual, phased opening on May 18th, the week leading into Memorial Day weekend.

The plus would be that because that would lead into the holiday weekend (kick off to summer) -- it would give businesses the chance to open for that weekend.

The major downside I see is that I don't think people would keep social distancing like they should. I think that after being indoors for a couple of months -- way too many people would lose their minds, and just think, "Oh, great, Memorial Day weekend!" -- and flood into places, like nothing ever happened and that coronavirus is over.

And of course, that could be disastrous.
So I'd just stay closed until after the holiday. I know I'd feel more comfortable going our after that.
Another option would be opening up 2 weeks before then -- the week of May 11th.
That would give officials a chance to see IF people are still following the social distancing and mask orders -- well-enough before the holiday weekend....so they'd know if the holiday weekend could be trouble with virus spread.

Early on, I heard just a couple of reports that this virus will be an issue until well into -- and deep into -- at least 2021. But then reports stopped stressing that. Because of that, I think too many people just want to "get back outside" like this will be over by Labor Day.

Whatever. As for Philly I won't be doing any shopping there or going downtown any time soon. Whether Mayor Kenney opens things up or not. I'm not going to let other people, risk MY health.
The residual effects of the 1918 pandemic lasted until 1920.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

When polio was a problem there were certain things people tried to avoid since there were seasonal outbreaks. At least in the short term we will have to learn how to do that again.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that even we less risk-averse types won't simply return to doing everything the way we used to do it once the restrictions are eased.

I will need to keep my distance from people whose infection status I don't know, and that will include friends who I haven't kept in touch with and thus don't know where they've been or what they've been doing, for instance.

No outings to crowded restaurants or bars for me either. And it's likely that when those establishments are allowed to reopen, there will be spacing requirements between tables and seats at tables.

Entertaining at home will be possible, but I'll need to keep the guest lists short and ask everyone to wash their hands when entering.

Things like that.
Not being a drinker means bars are meaningless to me. Wrt restaurants, I was more likely to go to one early so I was already missing patrons who eat later than I do.

Some of the social distancing stuff I was sort of doing anyhow. I'm only social under specific situations. It's not something I need so much.

And for the men here, men are dying of covid more than women and it seems to be consistent everywhere.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I of course am going to follow any guidelines/restrictions from the government but the day we are allowed to go to a restaurant/bar/sporting event I will be there. I can’t handle the isolation for much longer.
It has to be a complete nightmare for extroverts. For introverts it's easier. Not fun but easier.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,823,622 times
Quote:
I don't know if you remember this, but I heard, when we had the 1st real outbreak of swine flu, post 1918, that it was because most of the people who had lived through the 1918 epidemic had been immune to it, but were now gone.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM

558 posts, read 302,027 times
Quote:
And the second wave was much deadlier than the first wave. It arrived in autumn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia