Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 11:21 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,485 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt do it. Do what you have to and get the experience and see where it leads. Does it really matter if you have to wake up at 4am a couple times a week for a year or so? I've certainly made sacrifices like that, and pretty much every successful person I know has as well. QOL in regards to a work commute is so over-blown by so many people. You wanna know what will ensure poor QOL? Basing your financial future, general career happiness and future liberation from working until you're 70 years old by demanding a 30 minute maximum commute (I know you didn't say this, I'm just paraphrasing what so many others tout as "must haves" bc of QOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 12:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
You should probably just move, but I have been on the acela before where I got talking to the guy next to me and he worked in NYC and lived in Baltimore. People definitely do do stuff like that.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Thank you so much, everyone! Y'all have definitely given me some great advice and I truly appreciate it. I won't know if I'm actually hired for a while, but I'm confident that I'll eventually make the right choice.

I'm also feeling MUCH less intimidated about the Philly-DC thing! I've never been afraid to seek employment in NYC/North Jersey (within walking distance of an Amtrak stop), but the trip down to DC is definitely longer. If I'm able to score 2-3 days of WFH, then it won't be that bad at all. My main concern is that I won't be able to do this position AND attend grad school simultaneously (I'm scheduled to start in August), but this position would embody the field of work I've dreamed of getting into, at my dream company. I could be working at my dream company, making ~$20,000 more than I am now, AND forgo adding $30,000-$40,000 of additional student loan debt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
If you can negotiate to work from home 2 - 3 days a week, and they are willing to pay for your Amtrak costs, then it is not a bad gig.

DC is hella expensive and 75k does not go that far there. (crazy to think).

Do they have an office in the Philadelphia market?

I say this, because long term, if you were promoted and the company has no Philadelphia presence you would probably have to move to DC.

Also, after a year, I am sure the commute will get old. But hey maybe not. Didnt Joe Biden commute all the time on Amtrak??

And I guess when I come to think of it, a fair number of higher up state workers make the commute from Harrisburg to The Main Line and Philadelphia via Amtrak which is about the same trip time.
I guess I can some clean and say that the position would be with Amtrak, which is how I know that my travel will be covered! The specific team I'm looking to join is based out of DC, but I know that similar teams exist in Philadelphia. I could either stay in DC and consider moving there if I'm offered a promotion within the DC-based team, or seek to join the Philadelphia team as I gain tenure within the organization.

By the time such an opportunity may arise, I might be in my 30s (I'm 25 now), my girl and I will definitely be married, and kids may end up being part of the equation. It's something I'm keeping in the back of my head to make a determination should I receive an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Without a doubt do it. Do what you have to and get the experience and see where it leads. Does it really matter if you have to wake up at 4am a couple times a week for a year or so? I've certainly made sacrifices like that, and pretty much every successful person I know has as well. QOL in regards to a work commute is so over-blown by so many people. You wanna know what will ensure poor QOL? Basing your financial future, general career happiness and future liberation from working until you're 70 years old by demanding a 30 minute maximum commute (I know you didn't say this, I'm just paraphrasing what so many others tout as "must haves" bc of QOL).
This is exactly how I feel, pretty much! I grew up poor and now I'm doing pretty well for myself at 25. I'm willing to do what it takes to continue to enjoy success and provide my future children with a better childhood than I had (which was still a happy one!). The equation has changed a bit since my girlfriend and I are serious, but, as long as she's supportive, I'm willing to do this.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:59 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
I did this exact commute twice a week for a law school externship when I was 25. I didn't find it too taxing, and I didn't even have the benefit of Acela. Granted, I did this for just one semester as a student, and I may have grown more weary of the commute if I maintained this arrangement on a permanent basis.

However, given the considerable upsides you describe, I think you can manage this as long as you minimize your door-to-door commute on the front and back ends. My home was an eight-minute walk to 30th Street Station, and my externship was a 15-minute walk from Union Station. If I'm not mistaken, Amtrak's DC office is very close to Union Station, so if you have a longer subway ride to 30th Street Station, the convenience after you arrive in DC can compensate for that.

Rest your eyes on the way to work, and unwind with a good book or some podcasts on the way home. Considering that an Acela ticket is the cost of a not-terribly-shabby hotel room, maybe Amtrak will put you up in the Area one night for everyone's ease and convenience. That was an option in my externship program, and I did it a few times just for the fun and novelty of it. Even being limited to $100/night circa. 2015 allowed me habitable options in decent, metro-convenient locations within and outside the District.

Best of luck.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:33 PM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
That 100% makes sense that it is with Amtrak, considering they will cover commuting costs.

Good for you!!

I would say go for it 100%!!

If the company did not cover commuting costs, then I would advise to move to DC, since the monthly Amtrak costs can be pricey for that trip (usually $500 - $800 a month), but since they are willing to pay for your monthly pass. Do it!!

Good luck!

And you are also young. Graduate school is a great opportunity. But do not feel too pressured to get into a program.

Honestly having some more professional experience, potentially could get you into an even better program down the road, or a paid fellowship in the future.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:00 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,485 times
Plus, an added advantage is being forced to deal with things and learning to be an early riser. I did a commute into far north Jersey during my time with J&J - probably about two years total. It was common for a two hour drive each way. I figured out in short order I would need to get up around 4:30am to miss traffic, and I just started working out in the gym pre-work. Not only did I never miss a workout, after a month or so, I found I couldn't sleep past 7am. This has stood me in great stead my entire life. When COVID hit, I limited my drinking to no more than one night a week and started this intense workout/diet plan. As such, I'm mentally sharp as a tack these days, my body fat is down to under 10% and I've resorted back to my roots of waking up around 5am. I get more done before noon than I used to in a day. Training yourself to be an earlier riser (usually out of necessity at first), is such a productive way to achieve your life goals. This is validated by the habits of the uber-successful. You'll find one commonality shared by most of these individuals is that they almost all wake up before sunrise.

Last edited by Pennsport; 02-12-2021 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 08:28 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I did this exact commute twice a week for a law school externship when I was 25. I didn't find it too taxing, and I didn't even have the benefit of Acela. Granted, I did this for just one semester as a student, and I may have grown more weary of the commute if I maintained this arrangement on a permanent basis.

However, given the considerable upsides you describe, I think you can manage this as long as you minimize your door-to-door commute on the front and back ends. My home was an eight-minute walk to 30th Street Station, and my externship was a 15-minute walk from Union Station. If I'm not mistaken, Amtrak's DC office is very close to Union Station, so if you have a longer subway ride to 30th Street Station, the convenience after you arrive in DC can compensate for that.

Rest your eyes on the way to work, and unwind with a good book or some podcasts on the way home. Considering that an Acela ticket is the cost of a not-terribly-shabby hotel room, maybe Amtrak will put you up in the Area one night for everyone's ease and convenience. That was an option in my externship program, and I did it a few times just for the fun and novelty of it. Even being limited to $100/night circa. 2015 allowed me habitable options in decent, metro-convenient locations within and outside the District.

Best of luck.
What was the door to door on your commute?

Old 02-12-2021, 08:45 AM

752 posts, read 459,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penna76 View Post
that 100% makes sense that it is with amtrak, considering they will cover commuting costs.

Good for you!!

I would say go for it 100%!!
+1.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:47 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
What was the door to door on your commute?
2.5 hours on a typical day, but that’s regular Amtrak and not Acela. Acela might be ~1/2 hour shorter?

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-12-2021 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-18-2023, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 331 times
Hey PhilliesPhan2013. Did you end up accepting this role? Curious to know how the commute turned out for you. I’ve found myself in a very similar situation and considering commuting from Philly to dc. Im making about the same amount you mentioned in your post which would go a long way in Philly but not in dc. The job is a great opportunity though and I want to see it through for as long as I can. Only downside, no wfh days which I’m hoping to renegotiate in a few months. Hopefully things worked out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia