Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,243 times

Advertisements

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-iss...pitalizations/

It would be nice if the honor system worked. Or better yet, if right wing conspiracy theorists would stop spreading misinformation about the vaccine.

It seems that we're swinging back to a life in which everyone needs to be masked, because we can trust no one to behave decently.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:04 AM

752 posts, read 460,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
https://whyy.org/articles/philly-iss...pitalizations/

It would be nice if the honor system worked. Or better yet, if right wing conspiracy theorists would stop spreading misinformation about the vaccine.

It seems that we're swinging back to a life in which everyone needs to be masked, because we can trust no one to behave decently.
So are you suggesting that those in the City of Philadelphia who haven't been vaccinated follow right wing conspiracies?

Old 07-23-2021, 10:20 AM

1,170 posts, read 592,632 times
Unless there is some breaking news that a vaccinated, non infected person can still somehow spread it, I see no reason why I should wear a mask. I am not anti mask, I'd wear one if the science makes sense, and did so without issue for over a year. I read in another article city officials are doing that so we can "normalize" mask wearing. Such BS. I am an adult who makes reasonable decisions. I don't need to normalize it, I will do it when it makes sense.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Unless there is some breaking news that a vaccinated, non infected person can still somehow spread it, I see no reason why I should wear a mask. I am not anti mask, I'd wear one if the science makes sense, and did so without issue for over a year. I read in another article city officials are doing that so we can "normalize" mask wearing. Such BS. I am an adult who makes reasonable decisions. I don't need to normalize it, I will do it when it makes sense.
I feel very much as you do.....to the bolded section, I would also have no issues with wearing a mask if a private institution required it in order to enter the premises as opposed to a government request.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
So are you suggesting that those in the City of Philadelphia who haven't been vaccinated follow right wing conspiracies?
I am suggesting right wing conspiracy theorists have disseminated and propelled conspiracy theories and rumors that have no basis in facts. Such theories and rumors are spread in a number of ways that are not necessarily directly from the right wingers themselves; if you are on social media, you can see the various ways these rumors appear.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I agree to an extent, but I think the part they aren’t saying is that we don’t know who’s vaccinated and who’s not. The honor system isn’t working. I wish it would. It’d feel so silly to start wearing a mask again when I’m fully vaccinated.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I am suggesting right wing conspiracy theorists have disseminated and propelled conspiracy theories and rumors that have no basis in facts. Such theories and rumors are spread in a number of ways that are not necessarily directly from the right wingers themselves; if you are on social media, you can see the various ways these rumors appear.
There is a mistrust of vaccines and immunizations, especially those coordinated through the government by traditionally marginalized peoples, of which we have a majority in this City. I understand their apprehension. That's the challenge in a place like Philadelphia. If we lived in Columbia County, dwelling on right wing conspiracy theories might be more productive.

Here's a question, a large percentage of NFL players are not keen on getting the vaccine. Is this due to what I outlined above or is it due to anti-vaxers on Facebook?

Old 07-23-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
There is a mistrust of vaccines and immunizations, especially those coordinated through the government by traditionally marginalized peoples, of which we have a majority in this City. I understand their apprehension. That's the challenge in a place like Philadelphia. If we lived in Columbia County, dwelling on right wing conspiracy theories might be more productive.

Here's a question, a large percentage of NFL players are not keen on getting the vaccine. Is this due to what I outlined above or is it due to anti-vaxers on Facebook?
I understand the apprehension from some in the African American community, and that apprehension based on the historical mistreatment of people is something else entirely. This apprehension is based in historical fact, and the conspiracy theories are based in rumor. Yet for all the apprehension based in previous mistreatments, there are people within the community advocating for vaccination and highlighting the difference between this moment and the Tuskegee study, etc.

I have patience for that. I don’t have patience for falsehoods. And, whether you’d like to acknowledge it or not, the right wingers do have an effect even here in Philadelphia. If there were a bipartisan, unified message about the vaccine, hesitancy would be much lower across the board. The mixed messages can cast doubt in anyone’s mind, regardless of political affiliation.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:54 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,632 times
Quote:
I agree to an extent, but I think the part they aren’t saying is that we don’t know who’s vaccinated and who’s not. The honor system isn’t working. I wish it would. It’d feel so silly to start wearing a mask again when I’m fully vaccinated.

Sadly the country has decided that you can go mask free if you are vaccinated, or just a liar. And any teeth into a mandate, or heaven forbid a passport, is DOA. Frankly, at some point, Darwinism will take over.

It is kind of funny watching Fox sort of change its tone. Like they don't want to **** off their viewers who can go to Newsmax or OAN, but on the other hand they realize slowly killing your viewers isn't good for business. They created this monster, its up to them to figure out how to kill it.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:17 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
How do you plan to shop at the supermarket or go to the doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia