Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2023, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move and we found a house right on the border with Bucks county that is larger than our NJ townhouse and in our budget. We’re not opposed to living in the city limits and are familiar with the Far NE and its communities (we are Eastern European). The only thing that’s giving me pause is we have a teenager starting high school in the fall. Our current town’s schools are middle of the pack as far as NJ goes and on the decline, but our teen is in honors classes and mostly insulated from disruptive behavior. It seems too late to go the magnet route and the zoned high school, George Washington, is terribly ranked. It also doesn’t seem to match the socioeconomic makeup of the zoned geographic area. Neighboring Bensalem has similar demographics and while its high school is not great, it seems to be in much better shape compared to George Washington. What’s going on here? Are most neighborhood kids going to magnet schools or in private schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 04:42 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNEMove View Post
My family is looking to move and we found a house right on the border with Bucks county that is larger than our NJ townhouse and in our budget. We’re not opposed to living in the city limits and are familiar with the Far NE and its communities (we are Eastern European). The only thing that’s giving me pause is we have a teenager starting high school in the fall. Our current town’s schools are middle of the pack as far as NJ goes and on the decline, but our teen is in honors classes and mostly insulated from disruptive behavior. It seems too late to go the magnet route and the zoned high school, George Washington, is terribly ranked. It also doesn’t seem to match the socioeconomic makeup of the zoned geographic area. Neighboring Bensalem has similar demographics and while its high school is not great, it seems to be in much better shape compared to George Washington. What’s going on here? Are most neighborhood kids going to magnet schools or in private schools?
Broadly speaking, it sounds like your son “should” get into Central—the second-most coveted magnet after Masterman. And I say “should” because it’s ultimately a crapshoot, and plenty of students who are qualified for Central do not end up getting into Central.

My cousin graduated from Washington 20 years ago. Even then, it was rough, but the high-achieving students were largely insulated from this by virtue of the school’s honors program, and as a result the school was not dangerous or unpleasant for said students. A lot can change in 20 years, and in Washington’s case, I don’t suspect it’s for the better, but I defer to others with more in-depth and up-to-date knowledge and expertise. You are correct that students zoned to Washington disproportionately attend magnet or private high schools. Greenberg, which is probably your prospective neighborhood’s K-8 feeder school, is still fairly well-regarded.

I would not suggest Bensalem over Washington, and also steer clear from William Tennent (Upper Southampton and Warminster Townships plus Ivyland Borough).

Neshaminy High School, which has a fairly large post/Soviet immigrant population (by virtue of Feasterville/Lower Southampton Township), may be the answer. Middletown Township and Langhorne/Langhorne Manor/Penndel/Hulmeville boroughs are also zoned to the high school. It’s a large and very middling suburban school district, but is much better/regarded than William Tennent and Bensalem and should have sufficient resources for a bright and motivated student to succeed. Real estate is also fairly affordable—much more so than the municipalities that feed into Council Rock schools, which is another popular suburban post/Soviet immigrant destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia