Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:38 AM

1,705 posts, read 982,827 times

Advertisements

Did they shut this down and nobody told me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 09:26 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,193,652 times
I was wondering the same thing. It's been quiet.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:29 AM

9,412 posts, read 9,399,357 times
My 2 favorite posters (sarcasm) have been quiet (or banned, lol).

I'm behind on posting updates to the 2023 & retail thread though

Old 05-01-2024, 02:15 PM

14,301 posts, read 9,184,962 times
You got me.

I've been posting to City vs. City for the most part lately.

Perhaps we're all waiting for Mayor Parker to fix this, too?

Old 05-02-2024, 04:37 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,187,213 times
I've noticed it.

Personally the only things I care about are crime, taxes and road construction (infrastructure).

Being a resident, it'd be nonsensical to NOT want Philly to thrive. But I would leave the city if I could, and it made ANY kind of financial sense. But it doesn't, I can't and it is what it is.

I only care about retail, education or other things in Philly because it might (yeah right) mean the city gets more money from new residents/businesses who'd move here ....and TPTB wouldn't raise MY taxes.

I don't really watch much news at all. Almost never. So unless I see a topic here, I really don't know what is going on in Philly....and other than the above -- don't care.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:42 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,136,510 times
Calm before the storm. World Cup and the Nations birthday in less than 2 years. Philly will be on the spotlight nationally and internationally. Can’t wait

Old 05-03-2024, 07:03 AM

9,412 posts, read 9,399,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've noticed it.

Personally the only things I care about are crime, taxes and road construction (infrastructure).

Being a resident, it'd be nonsensical to NOT want Philly to thrive. But I would leave the city if I could, and it made ANY kind of financial sense. But it doesn't, I can't and it is what it is.

I only care about retail, education or other things in Philly because it might (yeah right) mean the city gets more money from new residents/businesses who'd move here ....and TPTB wouldn't raise MY taxes.

I don't really watch much news at all. Almost never. So unless I see a topic here, I really don't know what is going on in Philly....and other than the above -- don't care.
Curious, where would you move to? (realistically, not a dream lottery scenario).

Old 05-03-2024, 08:42 AM

14,301 posts, read 9,184,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Calm before the storm. World Cup and the Nations birthday in less than 2 years. Philly will be on the spotlight nationally and internationally. Can’t wait
I'm probably going to get my ear bent about all of the above by a dear friend of mine who Mayor Parker tapped to head the city's planning for the Semiquincentennial. (I also imagine he will bounce ideas off of me, something he has done many times over the years.)

Old 05-03-2024, 06:48 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,187,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Curious, where would you move to? (realistically, not a dream lottery scenario).
I do want to answer the question. But not derail the thread.

Philly born and raised. And I actually love this area as far as location is concerned. And praise it to others who don't live here or know it well.
- Perfectly situated between NY and DC (and further north and south Boston and Atlanta)
- Shore to the east, mountains to the north (east/west). They're not the Rockies, but mountains.)
- Some of THE best cultural, educational, medical institutions.
- Major international airport. All kinds of ethnic cuisines. Some major retail in the area.
- And, I'm sure other things that don't come to me.

I just realized going back 10 or 15 years ago that I (or anyone else really) don't need to LIVE in the city (be a city resident) to take advantage of all those plusses and amenities.

Longtime friends (of decades, we met in HS and college) moved out of the city 35 years ago. One to South Jersey, the other, to Springfield, Del Co. And it occurred to me a long time ago -- wait a minute...they come into the city all the time, worked in the city....go to plays and restaurants, fly out through the airport, visit the medical facilities.....and they don't have to deal with (put up with)....any -- any -- of the city's issues -- whatever they may be.

So, the short answer is I'd likely move to either:
First choices: Swarthmore, Springfield, Bala Cynwyd, Wynnewood or Ardmore -- throw in Broomall or Havertown
Second choices: Media area, Rose Tree, Nether Providence
Third choices: Aldan, Glenolden, Woodlyn, Holmes, Crum Lynne, Folsom, Morton

And even if I hit a super lottery jackpot. I'd still remain based in the area.
I don't want to leave the area -- just the city. Culturally I believe those areas are a better fit for me.

I'm not hating on the city. I just don't see an actual tangible, affect-my-life everyday benefit to being a city resident. That's all.

Last edited by selhars; 05-03-2024 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2024, 04:29 AM

4,747 posts, read 4,453,068 times
I haven't followed the full thread, but I think the latest post by selhars above sums it up.
I am new ( well as of 5 years) to the area and kept tweaking our searches. Having grown up in a city ( NYC) and having lived in rural suburbia for most of my adult life, I have a clear preference for the latter. The great things about the city , have, in my opinion, really spread out to the suburbs. I am very happy out here in suburbia and do have access to all the city offers. To my amazement, I can count the number of times I've gone to Philadelphia in the past years, on both hands. Granted covid had 2 of those years but still, I find amazing museums, restaurants, attractions, theatre, you name it--------in suburbia.
(yes, Philly proper has more and maybe better, but I'm not feeling like I've missed out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia