Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM

77 posts, read 507,158 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting this place

3790 baring, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, United States - Google Maps

I work at UPenn.
There dont seem to have been homicides in this area, however roberries seem to be somewhat prevalent.

Is it a safe area in general ? Quiet ?

Is it better than southwest philly ?:
1235 S Markoe St, Philadelphia, PA 19143 - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Of the two, Baring Street is SLIGHTLY safer. You would be much better off seeking a place south of Market Street or further east. There are more dorms and much more activity.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
That address is on the edge of things but still inside the University City District's patrolled area.

It's nice to not hear gunshots at night but murders of young professionals in the city is incredibly rare. When it does happen it's almost always an acquaintance. Being mugged is something I would worry about but then, everyone I know who has been mugged in Philly has been mugged in Center City, Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, or University City.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
it's a little on the edge - I lived at 3729 Lancaster Ave across the street from the bank

worse thing about that location was the street noise from being on lancaster and all the bar noise coming from the bar at the corner of 38th and lancaster

the 10 trolly also stops at 38th and lancaster and i'd stand there most days to get to 30th street for bus transfer out to bala

you'll have a full mix of neighbors that's for sure

baring was always kind of our northern edge as students

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM

77 posts, read 507,158 times
The noise and proximity to Lancaster/38th is indeed of concern. It is a hard decision for me. I'm hoping that the distance of the house from Lancaster/38th will be enough. Also, the house seems to be well built, and blocks noise well. I'm gonna sleep in the middle room.

Living at Lancaster, wow, that must have sucked. So much traffic.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:59 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
one really nice thing is we could go out of the window at the top of the 2nd floor off the stairs towards the back of the rowhouse and sit on the lower roof overlooking the interior of the block - was actually a fairly quiet and relaxing place

generally got used to the noise, although there were some days where it was very obnoxious - 3am with stereos blasting and people still hanging out on the street

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

219 posts, read 674,618 times
Default Pretty damn nice

So I actually grew up at the corner of 38th and baring in the late 90s- about a hundred feet away from the pizza shop, a hundred feet away from the abortion clinic, and a hundred and fifty feet away from the bar.

Although this may sound like an unfortunate trifecta, it was actually a really nice place to grow up- I knew all my neighbors, which were an eclectic mix of old black folks, washed-up hippies, Penn professors, and grad students. The street was always shaded by the trees, which would look absolutely amazing when they bloomed in the spring. It was also surprisingly safe, especially when you consider just how bad things could be a few blocks away.

As for all the sketchy establishment on the Ave., the business association has worked hard to get rid of them (the abortion clinic just got fined to the point of bankruptcy for unhygienic practices thanks to a tip-off, and cops now circle around the bar). They've added a cute deli with a small-town feel, as well as a bike shop and a coffee shop.

I can see how living in Powelton could be relaxing. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia