Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM

14 posts, read 33,367 times

Advertisements

So I've done a search on similar topics but I still need personal advice (so to speak). I am a young woman from the suburbs of Atlanta. I'll be starting grad school at Temple in January. Things happened kinda quickly so I need feedback ASAP. I am 26 years old and I haven't been in a college atmosphere since '04 so I DO NOT want to live around a bunch of rowdy college students but I'm still young and single so I'm not looking for the suburbs either. I'd prefer to live around grad students and young professionals. I'll be a full-time student so I'll be on a fixed income so please keep that in mind when recommending neighborhoods. I don't want to spend over $750 a month but i'm willing to live in a studio. No sarcasm please. I actually need real help on a time restraint so respond only if it's constructive. TIA!

When are you moving? January
Where are you coming from? Atlanta area
Why are you moving? grad school
Where will you be working? will be a student but hope to get a part-time job
Have you been here yet? 2 visits..very toursity

Will you buy or rent? rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? No preference besides SAFETY and convience. $750
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? um...I guess it doesn't matter...just no rodents (this is IMPERATIVE)!

Are you married or single? Do you have children? single. no
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? not yet
Do you want or need a yard? don't need it
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? activity as long as its SAFE

What do you want to be closest to? Public transportation to Temple, Basic Services, Shopping, Nightlife, Work...in that order of importancy
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diversity please! I'm a biracial woman so I don't want to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of racists jerks...no matter how nice it is.

Coke or Pepsi?
^^^please see second question. There's your answer right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I suggest Bella Vista. You can check Criaigslist for available apartments, but I just did a search and there are some available in your price range. It's south of center city (a nice walk) and convenient to the subway for the ride north to Temple.

Unless you really need your car, I suggest not bringing it with you. You can always look into PhillyCarShare

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
The most convenient way to commute to Temple is via the Broad St. Subway. I would look in South Philly around the Lombard/South stop, Ellsworth/Federal, Tasker/Morris, and Snyder.

The most happening areas (restaurants/bars/shops) along the route are either along South St. or along Passyunk Ave. which runs diagonal across the grid. It crosses Broad St. near Snyder Ave. and and ends at South St. near 5th St.

I would focus on the area between 10th & 16th.

All of the regional rail trains also stop at Temple so if you wanted to live in East Falls, Mt. Airy or Manayunk it wouldn't be a difficult commute, as long as you lived near a station. The only drawback is that the RR trains run less frequently than the subways. In the morning you usually get them every 20 minutes or so. Mid-day they're once an hour. The subways are every 6-12 minutes depending on time of day.

I would leave your car in ATL for the time being. Most of the neighborhoods you'll be looking in are blanketed with permit parking signs and it'll take you 2 months to get a permit. A friend of mine moved up here from Raleigh with his gf. He had to keep his car parked 10 blocks away until he was able to get a new license, new registration, and then apply for his permit. Then he still had to keep his car parked in the same place b/c there was nowhere to park near his house and permits are only valid in your neighborhood. Feel it out, sign up for CarShare and ZipCar and decide if you even want a car. It's a major hassle.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 PM

344 posts, read 841,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I suggest Bella Vista. You can check Criaigslist for available apartments, but I just did a search and there are some available in your price range. It's south of center city (a nice walk) and convenient to the subway for the ride north to Temple.

Unless you really need your car, I suggest not bringing it with you. You can always look into PhillyCarShare

Good luck.

i was thinking there too
or noerthern liberties right on up to girard

Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
i was thinking there too
or noerthern liberties right on up to girard
It's just easier to walk to the Broad Street Subway from Bella Vista.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Southern belle at Temple? Yes pleeeeease :P

Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
ha ha whateva

Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 AM

14 posts, read 33,367 times
Thanks for your responses! Now that I really think about it, I will definitely need to live in an area that is parking friendly. All of my classes are at night and I do not want to be on public transportation by myself in the TU area at night. Does that change anything? Should I still look into Bella Vista and South Philly for a safe/convienent neighborhood if I'll be driving to TU instead of using public transportation? Everything else still withstanding.

My next question is pretty random:
Does anyone know if I can keep my car registered in GA and pay GA taxes and insurance since I'm a student and not a permanent resident? <Actually I should probablly rethink that if I want to eventually apply for residency tuition!> When I lived in LA I kept my GA tags and whatnot (even though I wasn't a student) but I had garage parking and the police/parking authority are so much more laid back than Philly's (from what I've seen on that A&E show). I imagine I might get hasseled if I keep my car wit GA tags....any thoughts?

Disclaimer: I will NOT always post in red! I just did it to seperate my responses from the questions...and since I began this thread in red I figured I would keep it that way. Sorry if its annoying! LOL

Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Parking could present a problem. A lot/garage would be expensive and driving around to find a spot would be a pain and not guaranteed. So, since that's the case, I'd suggest you look in Mt. Airy (or West Mt. Airy). Again check Craigslist. There are lots of apts. available in your price range. It's in the northwest area of the city and about a half hour drive to Temple.

I think it's diversity will appeal to you as well.

Mount Airy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
As far south as Bella Vista it isn't impossible to find on street parking like it would be in Center City. How about at the Temple end? Parking there must be expensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia