Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 14,942 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering making a big move from central IL to the Philly area for a job. After another posting on this site, we've narrowed down where we want to live to these communities:
West Chester
Ardmore
Horsham or
Wyndmoor

My husband's job would be at 5000 Wissahickon Ave., so I know that West Chester would be somewhat of a commute, but if this is a good area we might be willing to do that. I grew up in Chicago, and a 30 mile commute was not unusual. Is this true for the Philly area as well? OR would we be better off choosing one of the other areas?

We have 2 young children and schools, safety and an overall "friendly" environment is very important to us.

So, what do you think? I know very little about the area (except for the research I've done) and any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Cara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I'd vote on Wyndmoor:
- closest to work (Ardmore would also be close)
- nice neighborhood, very safe
- variety of housing options
- good schools
- close to Chestnut Hill and pretty easy access to downtown

Ardmore would be my second choice, a lot of the same benefits, but I dislike how busy Lancaster Avenue/Route 30 is - seems like a constant pain.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Substitute places like Media/Wallingford/Swarthmore and Springfield, Delco for West Chester and see what you think. These areas have good to great schools and great people...worth a look!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I work at 4700 Wissahickon Avenue, and would opt for Wyndmoor. It's not as congested as Ardmore, and is about a 15-minute drive to work.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDog1 View Post
My husband and I are considering making a big move from central IL to the Philly area for a job. After another posting on this site, we've narrowed down where we want to live to these communities:
West Chester
Ardmore
Horsham or
Wyndmoor

My husband's job would be at 5000 Wissahickon Ave., so I know that West Chester would be somewhat of a commute, but if this is a good area we might be willing to do that. I grew up in Chicago, and a 30 mile commute was not unusual. Is this true for the Philly area as well? OR would we be better off choosing one of the other areas?

We have 2 young children and schools, safety and an overall "friendly" environment is very important to us.

So, what do you think? I know very little about the area (except for the research I've done) and any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Cara
I strongly recommend you look in NJ - Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford, Mount Laurel, Voorhees, and Marlton before you settle on one of those PA towns. These NJ towns are superior to anything in PA with way more to do.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I strongly recommend you look in NJ - Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford, Mount Laurel, Voorhees, and Marlton before you settle on one of those PA towns. These NJ towns are superior to anything in PA with way more to do.

If you are working on Wissahickon Ave you do not want to live in New Jersey.

Dont mind Moorestown Resident he's a little overzealous, his knowledge of the region is extremely fuzzy and at times spatially disoriented.He's always good for a chuckle although I personally dont think the kid has ever set foot outside of the Moorestown city limits.

Best to heed the advice of the people who live closest to where you will be working.

Good luck

Last edited by rainrock; 04-14-2009 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,942 times
Wow! Thanks for the great advice. It has made my search a lot easier and a big move less stressful. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
CandyDog, other communities in the same school district as Wyndmoor (Springfield Township school district) are Flourtown, Erdenheim (where I lived for a couple of years), and Oreland. They're all a quick and easy drive to your husband's job through Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy (which are neighborhoods within the city of Philadelphia). Traffic at rush hour is generally reasonable and hassle-free.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Offering comparisons between the four towns originally asked about - or at least comparable communities near them - would probably be the most helpful to the OP.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Offering comparisons between the four towns originally asked about - or at least comparable communities near them - would probably be the most helpful to the OP.
One thing you'll learn with moorestownresident is that being the most helpful isnt his motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia