Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times

Advertisements

Mt. Airy was my first thought too. Clark Park is worth considering too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
You're gonna end up in South Philly or Fishtown, just pick one and get it over with. Uninsure one car, liability on the other one, and park them with clubs a few blocks off the end of the subway in West Oak Lane/Elkins Park.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
You're gonna end up in South Philly or Fishtown, just pick one and get it over with. Uninsure one car, liability on the other one, and park them with clubs a few blocks off the end of the subway in West Oak Lane/Elkins Park.

Why do you say these two areas?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Why do you say these two areas?
most affordable and easy access to center city. but the jury is out on Fishtown. its changed a lot, but a lot of the old neighborhood folks are frosty re: race relations. old blue collar mentality.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:37 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I may not neccessarily even drive at all while Im there. However, Id still like to have my paid off car if I do want to leave. If I find I really love Philadelphia, and dont want to go anywhere for a long time, I may dump the car, but not at first.
Was wondering if you might be able to leave your car elsewhere in a different city or town for a few weeks/months/... (people you know, some kind of garage, ...)

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
South Philly and Fishtown do have a lot of diversity, more than West Philly and Mt. Airy, though they have quite a bit too. It is probably worth it to look into all 4 of these areas more.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Try University City, Fishtown or the Passyunk Square section of South Philly. It seems like you're accustomed to urban reality while wanting to minimize the most egregious situations.

Joe has an intriguing idea as far as how to minimize your car expenses. You certainly won't be putting on many miles if Center City becomes the center of your free time.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Ok, after researching various murder maps, Ive decided one of these would be the best

Rittenhouse, Olde City, Northern Liberties, South Fish Town, South Eastern Poplar, Society Hill, or SW Center City/Graduate Hospital.

How safe do you Philly residents feel in these areas?

Rittenhouse seems about the most expensive, and is likely far out of my range, but I think the others have some properties I could swing.

I think Im going to try to rent a townhouse, or single family that has a garage, which is probably the best way to solve the parking dilema, but if I cant, does anyone know of any lower end buildings in these areas with multiple car parking other then the Piazza, or of any lower rate garages (maybe less then $100 a month). I may end up just leaving my car with my parents in Virginia, or renting public storage that allows combustible engines, and parking it in one of those, if I cant find a good solution.

I think Northwest Philly looks attractive (Germantown, Mt. Airy, etc), but is probably too far away from downtown Philly. Being able to walk to everything including my job, or take a short bus ride is very attractive to me.

I have no interest in living anywhere near southern North Philly (pretty much west of N. Broad out to the river or North of Girard. It appears that about 60% of Philly murders are in a few neighborhoods in this area (many appear to be gang or drug related), and I want no piece of that. I also have no interest in West Philadelphia, which is not only a commute, but also has a majority of the rest of Philly murders.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
in order of safety imo:

very safe
1. Rittenhouse
2. Society Hill
3. Old City
4. So Fishtown (NL & Fishtown may be interchangable)
5. NL
6. Poplar
7. SWCC/Grad Hospital
least safe

and i agree that Passynk Sq, Bella Vista, QV are also very nice.

Last edited by john_starks; 08-27-2009 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
You might have trouble finding a house with a garage anywhere close to Center City. You'd have better luck finding a condo with parking than one of the relatively newer SFH/TH developments in town. Philly is an older, high density city overall so on-street parking tends to be the norm until you get closer to the outskirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia