Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by covegirl06 View Post
Mikefromphilly, what ARE the nicer places up north (that are affordable)? My dream has always been to move to NY ... But I don't wanna end up homeless, lol. I think most ppl who have lived in a city (or town) their entire lives will usually advise ppl who are thinking about relocating there to remain put. I live in a small city. And granted it might be cheap here, there's basically NOTHING here! That's probably why it's so cheap. NO young person living here wants to be here, lol. They hate it, but they remain here for whatever reason! Fear, being away from family? who knows!

The nearest big city is Austin. But Austin ain't exactly cheap either. And then there's Dallas and Houston... They're OK. I just wanted to move outside of TX, just to experince other states. And well, right now, you're kinda killing that dream

Btw, WHY don't you move to TX if you think Philly sucks and TX is so GREAT???
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle with respect to solibs's and Mike's post. Texas will offer much better job growth prospects and weather conditions than Philly - assuming you are like 90% of women and like warm weather and hate cold winters. I prefer change of seasons and love the Fall weather in the NE, so I would never move to a sweaty, humid state like TX. Sounds like you need a change of scenery and a chance to grow, after all, I've been to Texas a couple times and everything is spread out and there's not much to do. So move and find out for yourself what Philly is like. The people here will offer their opinion on a suitable place to live. If you don't like it move back. It will likely be a good experience for you even if you end up leaving. Just be warned - the pace of life, the attitude of people, etc., will be far more rugged than what you are used to. The NE mentality is far different than the good 'ole South especially in a town like Philly that has a reputation as a 'tough' town. If you are open to staying in Texas, I've heard nothing but good things about Austin, never been there but maybe that's a logical first step.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 09-28-2009 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,986,049 times
I, for one, never found this place to be tough. Just honest. People can seem grumpy and coarse because they're always complaining about something but for the most part people are friendly and helpful if you give them a chance to be. If you give them 'tude they'll throw it right back at you without thinking twice.

In general I find people to be as friendly as I am on that particular day.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:37 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times
Assuming you've been around other parts of the country as I have, people outside this region are more giving, more tolerant and friendlier, the pace of life is different. Philly is a tough town, it's known for crime, murders, boxing and demanding/mean/obnoxious/rabid sports fans. It is what it is. Of course, you run into great people here but in general those are the characteristics. The people in TX have a different mentality than Philly folk, that's all I'm saying.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM

I don't know, maybe i'm just a lot tougher than I think or maybe I don't associate with the people you're talking about. I don't exactly live in the nicest neighborhood in the city and I don't find people here, or anywhere else to be rude or jerks or anything like that - not more than anywhere else I've ever lived.

When I think of civility in Texas, honestly, this is the first thing that comes to mind. Dragging death in Texas raises tensions - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

The second thing I think of is shooting people who walk across your lawn.

Point is, I've lived places long enough to get over the initial surprise of people saying please and "yes, sir" and to get to know people well enough that you see how petty and nasty the local culture really is.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 AM

24 posts, read 64,969 times
Solibs you are so funny! You're quite the advocate for Philly, but having read you're from Jersey, it makes sense. I find all the people from this area to be very proud of this area and defend it, right, wrong, or indifferent to the end. Plus, I'd probably advocate PA if I was from South Jersey too ;-)
In Texas, where I'm from we did not have "dragging deaths," which happened in a very rural, isolated and backwards area. It's like comparing rural WV to DC because they're that close in proximity...Texas is a huge state and Dallas, Houston, and Austin are very spread out from one another. It takes 4 hours to drive from Dallas to Houston. So the place where that happened is in no way representative of TX rather an extremely small pocket. Plus, things happen in PA that are racially motivated too, let's not call the kettle black. If so, I'd think every one in Philly was a racist because of a country club's in Huntigdon, PA comments and actions toward young African American children. The logic is just as ridiculous. Also, no one is afraid to walk on someone's yard, that's silly and a terrible generalizations. I think you have your own stereotypical thoughts about Texas.
Philly is a tough town to live in than a smaller town in Texas, especially when you're from that smaller town. It still has a blue collar underbelly, the weather is not as nice and Philly also has its problems with crime and the availability to advance here for individuals without higher education is severely limited vs. what you can achieve in other places in this country.
If the OP wants a place for $600, I'd also suggest she get a roommate, look in the Bella Vista neighborhood or maybe West Philly. I think a roommate would help in getting adjusted to the area as well vs. being alone in the city and not knowing anyone, especially if she's that young.
Best of luck to the original poster and let us know where you end up!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 AM

19 posts, read 65,293 times
This is a great place for a young women . Move to south west center city -G-Ho . My daughter is 24 , loves it there . Lots of cafes and you can walk to center city . nice rent prices . good luck

Old 10-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlueR View Post
Solibs you are so funny! You're quite the advocate for Philly, but having read you're from Jersey, it makes sense. I find all the people from this area to be very proud of this area and defend it, right, wrong, or indifferent to the end. Plus, I'd probably advocate PA if I was from South Jersey too ;-)
I'm not from South Jersey.

As I've said, I've lived a lot of places and I've visited a lot more. I have no more ties to this place than anywhere else I've lived. If you start bashing Charleston and I think you're way off base I'm gonna call you out on it.

Quote:
In Texas, where I'm from we did not have "dragging deaths," which happened in a very rural, isolated and backwards area.
It's happened twice in the last 10 years, that I can remember. This latest one near Oklahoma and wasn't the other one closer to Louisiana?

Quote:
It's like comparing rural WV to DC because they're that close in proximity...Texas is a huge state and Dallas, Houston, and Austin are very spread out from one another.
Yeah, but that kind of stuff doesn't happen in WV. In fact, WV is a pretty tranquil place in comparison. I used to go there a lot when I lived in NC and don't really understand why WV gets such a bad rep.

Quote:
It takes 4 hours to drive from Dallas to Houston. So the place where that happened is in no way representative of TX rather an extremely small pocket. Plus, things happen in PA that are racially motivated too, let's not call the kettle black. If so, I'd think every one in Philly was a racist because of a country club's in Huntigdon, PA comments and actions toward young African American children. The logic is just as ridiculous.
It takes ~6 hours to drive from Philly to Pittsburgh. I realize Texas is a big state and I know there are racists around here. Read some of my other posts, it's not something I'm afraid to talk about. But comparing telling black kids that they can't swim in your pool anymore and running them over with your truck and dragging them for 100 yards aren't really the same thing.

Quote:
Also, no one is afraid to walk on someone's yard, that's silly and a terrible generalizations. I think you have your own stereotypical thoughts about Texas.
The "castle law" gives people there a whole lot of leeway in shooting someone on their property without consequences.

Quote:
Philly is a tough town to live in than a smaller town in Texas, especially when you're from that smaller town. It still has a blue collar underbelly, the weather is not as nice and Philly also has its problems with crime and the availability to advance here for individuals without higher education is severely limited vs. what you can achieve in other places in this country.
First, why would you not compare small town Texas to small town PA and big city PA to big city TX? Second, the OP has already made the decision to move from a small town to a big city. I don't think she was posting here looking to be dissuaded. It's not like you're telling her, "why don't you try Houston first?"

Instead you're telling people that Philly is exceptional in it's surly people and crime and weather when, in fact, it's like most other big cities and, more to the point, the crime and poverty is no different here than it is in most Texas cities. Even comparing state to state, crime in TX is slightly worse when it comes to homicides and far worse in every other category. I'll respect the intelligence of people asking about moving here and assume that they know that when you go north it gets colder.

Not really sure what you're trying to say about a blue-collar underbelly. That Dallas doesn't have blue-collar people or just that they don't live in the city?

Opportunity to advance is tougher here? Why don't you take a look at the poverty rates for metro Philly and metro Dallas and get back to me.

When I lived in Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan, do you know how many fresh off the plane, country kids from Iowa and Kansas I bumped into everyday on the street, at work, everywhere? Not living on Central Park West but holed up in some crappy apartment in Brooklyn, and this wasn't posh Park Slope or B'klyn Heights ca. 2009 but Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy ca. 1998.

Just because you're not cut out for living outside your comfort zone doesn't mean that other people can't handle it.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 29,784 times
Hey!

I did the same thing you did, when I was 22 I moved to Philadelphia, mostly sight unseen. I moved to the Manayunk area, but later moved into Roxborough (basically the same, but easier parking and more affordable). I was terrified to live by myself, but the neighborhood was really friendly and nice!! I paid $650 for a one bedroom apartment, but if you are interested in living with roommates, that can really knock down your costs. The only drawback is public transportation isn't strong in this area, you really should have a car... If you don't have a car, and you are interested in the area, look in Roxborough close to Ridge Ave, there is a lot of bus traffic going through.

Good luck!!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizandKeef View Post
Hey!

I did the same thing you did, when I was 22 I moved to Philadelphia, mostly sight unseen. I moved to the Manayunk area, but later moved into Roxborough (basically the same, but easier parking and more affordable). I was terrified to live by myself, but the neighborhood was really friendly and nice!! I paid $650 for a one bedroom apartment, but if you are interested in living with roommates, that can really knock down your costs. The only drawback is public transportation isn't strong in this area, you really should have a car... If you don't have a car, and you are interested in the area, look in Roxborough close to Ridge Ave, there is a lot of bus traffic going through.

Good luck!!

I agree, Roxborough is a great suggestion.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 AM

24 posts, read 64,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
The "castle law" gives people there a whole lot of leeway in shooting someone on their property without consequences.
Well every one I knew would not have shot at someone regardless of the law. I also have never heard of someone enacting the "castle law" to shoot at someone in the more populated areas of Texas. However, I'm sure you'll be able to find an article of this happening in podunk TX or some thug shooting at another thug because he walked on his yard.

Quote:
First, why would you not compare small town Texas to small town PA and big city PA to big city TX? Second, the OP has already made the decision to move from a small town to a big city. I don't think she was posting here looking to be dissuaded. It's not like you're telling her, "why don't you try Houston first?"
Because she's coming from Small town Texas not a larger city.

Quote:
Opportunity to advance is tougher here? Why don't you take a look at the poverty rates for metro Philly and metro Dallas and get back to me.
Let's not forget a lot of those statistics are swayed by illegal Mexican immigrants in Dallas and Texas in general. The "ghettos" in Dallas make the ghettos in Philly (North Philly and other areas) look pretty middle class.

Quote:
Just because you're not cut out for living outside your comfort zone doesn't mean that other people can't handle it.
Why are you always making comments like this? Just because I give my 2 cents about someone moving here with no job, no college education (she said she's 19, so unless she's a genius, she hasn't graduated from college), and no stated immediate plans, etc does not mean I'm "not cut out for living outside my comfort zone." If she was moving to Boston, I'd probably try to sway her as well, not because I think she'd be scared of the big bad city, but the place is expensive and opportunities for people without higher educated are limited regardless of where you live, more so in the Northeast where a lot of people have attended college and graduate school vs. a place where someone can at least be "middle class" without a college degree. At my law firm, our paralegals and even normal run of the mill secretaries and admins all have 4 year college degrees. The company my father works for has admins that have nothing beyond a high school degree. Plus, other people have also commented on this thread and others that Philly isn't known for its warm & welcoming attitude. However, I've made plenty of friends since moving here along with making a life. So please stop assuming things you don't know to be true. I could also tell you things I don't like about Texas/Dallas and then contrast with all the reasons I like Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia