Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Didn't know that. Thanks.

That would be a good route for a new line - especially terminating at Frankford Arsenal since it's on the National Register of Historic Places and is perfect for redevelopment and could really help bring Bridesburg along.

The 15 trolley runs all the way out into West Philly and it's not the nice part of West Philly either but, that whole area along the 15 trolley from the Zoo to Port Richmond is getting better because of the trolley, not in spite of it.

Neighborhoods that aren't close to Center City need a good transit connection to it. It's not a cure all but it's an important part of the puzzle.
You are right . The lack of a decent connection to Center City one of the problems that plague many of the Northeast neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
As much as I dig Philly, I don't think the Greater/Lower NE is a wise investment, short or long term. As Fishtown and Old Kensington begin to be annexed into the CC wealth zone, the trash will eventually find home in the NE and over time even Lower Bucks Co. The city is trying to smoke out the ghetto from the near areas of South and West philly as well which is adding to the influx.

Even Bensalem has a marginally trashy vibe in spots now, so that is definetly not a good sign for anything in the NE.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
Quote:
That would be a good route for a new line - especially terminating at Frankford Arsenal since it's on the National Register of Historic Places and is perfect for redevelopment and could really help bring Bridesburg along.
The problem is that the intersection there is too busy with I-95 on ramp - I'm sure they could get a turn-around in the grass area where it used to be situated but I don't know if they want to explore that option.

It is bad enough with the truck traffic on that section of Richmond st, add a rumbling trolley and it makes Richmond street a traffic mess (buses pull over - trolleys are stuck)

The 73 bus serves the EL and Westmoreland St where the 15 terminates. In essence, the bus does what the trolley is doing without extra capital to do it

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As much as I dig Philly, I don't think the Greater/Lower NE is a wise investment, short or long term. As Fishtown and Old Kensington begin to be annexed into the CC wealth zone, the trash will eventually find home in the NE and over time even Lower Bucks Co. The city is trying to smoke out the ghetto from the near areas of South and West philly as well which is adding to the influx.

Even Bensalem has a marginally trashy vibe in spots now, so that is definetly not a good sign for anything in the NE.
Not that I think it's a conspiracy but you have a good point.

I've been in South Philly almost the entire time I've lived here and it's interesting to see, when the working class, working poor and section 8 people leave, where they go. From what I've seen most of the italians go across the river and, for the most part, into Gloucester Co. The Cambodians head up to 5th & the Boulevard if they're poor, out to Southwest Philly if they have a little money, and out to Delaware Co. or KOP area if they have more money. Vietnamese go to Cherry Hill or DelCo. Black folks go to DelCo or to Delaware depending on their $$.

West Philly seems like people either head due west into DelCo or up towards KOP/Norristown.

I don't think many people from Fishtown, New Kensington, etc. have been displaced. Most of the areas that are being gentrified are either warehouse districts that no one lives in or are white, working class 'hoods and the people are moving over to Burlington County or up to Lower Bucks/eastern Montgomery.

I get the impression that a lot of the trouble moving into the Northeast is coming from places like Juniata, Frankford, Fairhill, Feltonville, etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
sorry, duplicate post

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Good points by all,I would avoid the following areas,summerdale,oxford circle,frankford,wissinoming,tacony and holmesburg.Although each one of these neighborhoods has their little pockets of nice streets and some surprisingly large houses in certain areas they are for the most part beyond the point of return as far as being desirable middle class neighborhoods.
The last stronghold for northeast middle class "affordable" neighborhoods goes,you have mayfair,rahwnhurst and I guess foxchase.
But even in these areas it can be drastically different from block to block.
Even though the price of row homes is much higher now then they were 10 years ago,so is the amount of section 8 tenants in these neighborhoods.In my experience once the section 8 filth moves in to your neighborhood it will only take about 5 years for it to be totally destroyed.
I have seen it over and over again.I'm in mayfair now,I live a few blocks from pennypack,I consider this area pretty strong right now but I can already see my "white flight" to the suburbs in the not so distant future.
It still amazes me how every neighborhood in the northeast is being called mayfair when it's not even close.
I would like to add East Frankford , Castor Gardens and the Crescentville section of Lawncrest to that "lovely list" of neighborhoods to avoid. Two other areas in the lower NE that you did not mention in your post- Northwood and the Lawndale and Ryers sections of Lawncrest still have decent parts. However if things keep on going the way they are, I feel it's just a matter of time before those neighborhoods are consumed by the decline. Burlholme and Lexington Park seem to be holding their own but I am not sure they are considered parts of the Near NE or parts of the Far NE ( which I think the decline would eventually creep into).

Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 PM

71 posts, read 96,788 times
Quote:

Not that Bridesburg and Tacony will ever be the new Northern Liberties but I think the decline will level off and maybe turn around a bit - whereas I see nothing but trouble for places like Oxford Circle.
Bridesburg isn't and has never been in decline.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM

71 posts, read 96,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone1 View Post
Thank you for your input. What do you think of the Bridesburg area? I am looking at a possible property on the 2100 block of Orthodox Street to invest in.
That area is called "Frankford Valley."

Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW 41 View Post
Bridesburg isn't and has never been in decline.
I beg to differ. I know quite a few people who are looking to bail on the burg, who all say it ain't what it used to be... Been over the last 5 years they say.... There will always be pockets of greatness but overall it on its way down, sorry to say.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
I will agree on the Bridesburg comment - born and raised and left when I was 24 in 2001 - my parents still live there along with one of my sisters. The neighborhood is in decline...all the older folks that worked at Rohm and Haas or the Arsenal are dying off and the houses are being sold by their children that don't want to move back to the seedier element. Drugs, while always in prominence in lighter forms, have become wildly available in the harshest forms. That coupled with the lack of employment in the area has brought some of that element creeping in the neighborhood. I have a friend that bought in the neighborhood and wants out (he was too born and raised there).
As a kid there was always the grease heads working on cars and the bad a$$es that you knew to stay away from and generally, a good amount of what you would call "trash" but the element has creeped away from the pockets of trash here and there and is becoming more and more connected. Pratt St. between Thompson and Salmon used to actually be a very respectable and nice street to live on 20-25 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia