Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 84,036 times

Advertisements

stay in North or West Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swp4lfe View Post
And the original poster would do this why...?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swp4lfe View Post
Wow.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 71,351 times
Do more AA middle class communities exist in Southern N.J.? If so then where would you suggest?

Thanks. The information you're providing is invaluable.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM

19 posts, read 71,351 times
By the way, I was wondering...do you all enjoy Philly? Since I'm thinking about moving there by choice and not necessity, I would like some opinions of the city and what the city offers.

Thanks again family.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Willingboro, Riverside and Pennsauken come to mind off the top of my head. But my impression is that people get along as well there as in any suburbs, besides the occasional "mistaken identity" for being a Camden resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJackson View Post
Do more AA middle class communities exist in Southern N.J.? If so then where would you suggest?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJackson View Post
By the way, I was wondering...do you all enjoy Philly? Since I'm thinking about moving there by choice and not necessity, I would like some opinions of the city and what the city offers.

Thanks again family.
You're sure to get a variety of opinions on this one.

Really, it's what you make of it. it's an older, larger Northeastern city. Depending on where you're coming from, this could mean some familiarity or culture shock. Because the economic "boom" wasn't that huge, the "bust" isn't quite as bad as other places. People get along pretty well but it's not quite a melting pot. You'll find your niche in terms of nightlife and culture.
The school district is a work-in-progress but there are some bright spots. Gentrification is continuing to radiate out from the neighborhoods of Center City.

That sums up my thoughts for the moment.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
To answer your question, the following have a pretty sizeable middle class African-American population, and are good neighborhoods for middle class African-Americans:

-Abington Township
-Chestnut Hill
-Cheltenham/Wyncote/Cedarbrook
-Most of Center City/downtown (Old City, Society Hill, Northern Liberties, Art Meuseum area, University City, Queen Village, etc)
-East Falls
-Manyunk/Roxborough
-Wynnfield (over near City Ave./St. Joe's University)

Areas to avoid:

-Fishtown
-Port Richmond
-Kensington
-Most of South Philly except for Queen Village
-Anything in Greater Northeast Philly

Since when is Chestnut Hill, East Falls or Wynnefield middle class?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
I was born and bred in Philly and have lived and worked in DC and Baltimore but I now call Alaska home. Believe it or not, in spite of Sarah Palin, I have found this area to be the most racially tolerant and accepting (well here and the Twin Cities). I have the opportunity to relocate back to Philly if I want to but I see that as going backwards. Between the mindless racial crap that flares up from time to time, the unjustifiably high taxes and rampant violent crime, I cannot see the positive gains of moving my biracial family back to "Hateadelphia", "Taxadelphia", or "Killadelphia".

Sorry, if I sneezed in anyone's cornflakes but like it was stated above, you will get a variety of opinions.

So there's my honest, if unpopular, "two cents".

Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Since when is Chestnut Hill, East Falls or Wynnefield middle class?

I don't know much about Chestnut Hill but I did laugh when I saw Wynnfield on the list-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia