Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

We've been looking to buy a place in Bella Vista or Queen Village, and I keep seeing on these boards that 5th and Christian is a "less safe" part of those areas. My question, is how far out from there (north, east, west) do you need to go before things are ok again? There are some great houses on Queen and Catherine that are 1 or 2 blocks from 5th & Christian. Is that still too close? Thoughts and advice much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Queen and Catherine are fine. It's not even safety as much as aesthetics/quality of life. As long as you don't live across the street from the projects you won't even notice.

I think a lot of the hand-wringing around that area is historical. It's all garden apartments now but back in the days when it was big high rise projects it used to be a lot worse. There was also a spate of muggings around there 3 years ago but they caught the kids and it stopped. I don't hear much about problems there anymore and when there are it's usually something that happens between people in the complex.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
i live a couple of blocks from 5th & christian and its fine. i'm rarely on that block so it doesn't affect my day to day life. any sketchy activity usually stays on that block.

other than that, the area is great!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 166,646 times
Default 5th and Christian...facts and fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRelo View Post
We've been looking to buy a place in Bella Vista or Queen Village, and I keep seeing on these boards that 5th and Christian is a "less safe" part of those areas. My question, is how far out from there (north, east, west) do you need to go before things are ok again? There are some great houses on Queen and Catherine that are 1 or 2 blocks from 5th & Christian. Is that still too close? Thoughts and advice much appreciated!
I have lived in the area for a few years...most of the "less safe" stuff that people mention is fictional. Queen Village is one of the best neighborhoods in the city, and although there is some subsidized housing between 3rd and 5th streets, Christian to Washington, it would not stop me from buying in the area/walking to dinner etc. I walked past Christian between 5th and 6th last night and saw families playing in their gated courtyard, people walking home from the Settlment Music School etc etc. There are great houses on Queen, Catherine and Christian as well...get to know the area, call the QVNA...and one last bit of information, the housing you are worried about (which actually did used to be bad), may not be around in the forseeable future...lots of talk of market rate housing coming, stay tuned.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM

219 posts, read 674,681 times
Default Harmless

When the 4th and Washington projects were actually high-rise projects, it was actually creepy within a block or two of the projects. But now, the projects are MUCH MUCH quieter; I had a friend who lived in them in high school and we hung out there one night playing video games- something that would have been impossible for me as a white boy just a few years prior. The projects are now hemmed in by gentrified Queens Village and Pennsport on all sides; I rode by there like two months ago and this place that used to have homeless squatters was being renovated for rich yuppie types, and the Chinese corner store closed and has been replaced by some salad-serving boutique eatery. Go ahead, live right across the street from the projects, and soon you'll be more annoyed by the hipsters than the black kids from the projects.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
It used to be that it was pretty dangerous because of the three notorius hi-rises. However since the projects been torn down the area has improved vastly.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
does anyone know where i could find images of the old 4th and washington projects? my dad lived there and i'm just wondering what it looked like. thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia