Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,957 times

Advertisements

Hi helpful C-D folks.

I have a question to ask of you who are familiar with the real estate landscape of Philadelphia. Here is my situation:

I came to Philly over the last several days on an apartment-hunting trip and saw several properties before landing on one that is in a condo building near Washington Square. Since a friend of mine who is a real estate agent was helping me with looking, she was the one who set up all the appointments to view places and such.

This particular condo unit is being advertised by Coldwell Banker Preferred for $1450/month. So I looked at the property and since I liked it, I filled out the application which stated this rent and the fact that I had to cut them a check for the first month, last month, and security deposit, which I did. My agent and I dropped off the application and the check as well as my background check and all to the Coldwell Banker Preferred offices on Walnut Street.

So I figure everything is fine and I should be getting a call to sign the lease papers. Instead, I now get a call from my agent telling me that someone else also saw that unit and is willing to pay $1500/month and so unless I am okay paying $1500/month, then they will rent out the unit to this other person.

My question is: Am I being bamboozled into paying extra than the listing price? You can still see the unit as advertised for $1450/month and I was apparently the first one to fill out the application and give a signed check for the amount needed to close the deal. So now why is the deal still open for negotiation and a rent hike?? Is this legal in PA??

Thank you for any helpful thoughts. Should I be contacting some government agency about this? If so, please direct me whom to call or write.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
Unfortunately it is legal, but not all that common. It's actually more common in higher demand rental markets like NYC or DC. Apparently the greedy owner (probably from NYC or DC) sees dollar signs and is holding out for competition. I would politely inform the branch manager with Coldwell Banker of the situation and of how poorly that reflects upon them. Then I would move on to a less sleazy landlord. If they're like this in the beginning, what is going to be like later on?

Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Unfortunately it is legal, but not all that common. It's actually more common in higher demand rental markets like NYC or DC. Apparently the greedy owner (probably from NYC or DC) sees dollar signs and is holding out for competition. I would politely inform the branch manager with Coldwell Banker of the situation and of how poorly that reflects upon them. Then I would move on to a less sleazy landlord. If they're like this in the beginning, what is going to be like later on?
Excellent response, niceguy. Until the lease is signed the unit is still available.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
It does happen and it's perfectly legal (although i don't care for it either) It's really not up to the broker - unless you're working with a property management firm it's the owner of the unit that is calling the shots.

I own a house at the other end of my block that I rent out. When i had it up for rent two years ago I had two different prospective tenants who were willing to pay more than the advertised rent . . . but I had already offered it to someone else with the caveat "as long as everything checks out." It did so i leased it to him because we already had an agreement.

if they're asking you to pay more you can always call their bluff and ask to see the offer.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,957 times
okay. thanks, folks! I have a better idea of the situation now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia