Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The only problems I have with your theory are:

(a) You are using a non-standard definition of conscious, and without knowing what that is I can't agree or disagree with some of what you are saying.

(b) There's no real evidence to support your beliefs. You just make pronouncements without saying what causes you to believe those pronouncements to be true.
very non-standard....Mickel is going to have orient the healthcare world to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,593,424 times
[quote=nezlie;17122185]

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I think a problem here rests with Mickiel's idea of what consciousness is.quote]

It is not a " Problem" to me, only to you. It is reality to me. You have your view of Consciousness, I have mine. I am content with mine. Consciousness is the Mental Filter God put in man, its the Governor of our behavior. Thats why Primordial mans behavior was as it was, they had no Consciousness, thus no wars, no crime, no deviant behavior, and no educational progress, and no language. Because language must make dramatic changes in mans attention to things and persons, because it allows a transfer of information of enormous scope, and it must have developed over a period that shows archaeologically that such changes occured.

It is almost impossible to describe chipping flints into choppers of language. They transfered information soley by imitation, exactly the same way in which Chimpanzees transmit the trick of inserting straws into ant hills to get ants.

Peace.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
what is the summation??? we all need lobotomies or what?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
[quote=Mickiel;17122338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I think a problem here rests with Mickiel's idea of what consciousness is.quote]

It is not a " Problem" to me, only to you. It is reality to me. You have your view of Consciousness, I have mine. I am content with mine. Consciousness is the Mental Filter God put in man, its the Governor of our behavior. Thats why Primordial mans behavior was as it was, they had no Consciousness, thus no wars, no crime, no deviant behavior, and no educational progress, and no language. Because language must make dramatic changes in mans attention to things and persons, because it allows a transfer of information of enormous scope, and it must have developed over a period that shows archaeologically that such changes occured.

It is almost impossible to describe chipping flints into choppers of language. They transfered information soley by imitation, exactly the same way in which Chimpanzees transmit the trick of inserting straws into ant hills to get ants.

Peace.

Do you think a human baby, lets say up to the age of 2 years old, before language is learned, is conscious?

What does the filter keep out?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
Mickiel, I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

Do you think that consciousness in man is essentially about his awareness in God? And that is what makes him different from other animals?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM

[quote=nezlie;17122408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

Do you think a human baby, lets say up to the age of 2 years old, before language is learned, is conscious?

What does the filter keep out?

I think all humans since Adam are conscious beings, no matter what their age.

What does the filter keep out? Well I think thats up to the individual, but Consciousness can block out things, just as easy as it can allow things in. If I can use myself as an example, my Consciousness is set to block out stealing from people, fighting, eating fruitcake, drinking, doing drugs, watching Russ Limbraugh, eating yellow snow, calling people disrespectful names, and so on.

Peace.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Mickiel, I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

Do you think that consciousness in man is essentially about his awareness in God? And that is what makes him different from other animals?

Oh goodness no! Its not just about awareness of God, its about everything that we are aware of, it cannot be limited to just God. And thats the thing about Consciousness. Humans are so far ahead of animals in our awareness, its rediculus. Just as I view it rediculus to claim that animals have consciousness as we do.

Peace.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
what is the summation??? we all need lobotomies or what?

Well I'll get to the summation much later, but to answer your question, the bottom line is the " Orgin of Consciousness." We need to truthfully comprehend the orgin of Consciousness. Many here just " Love Evolution", its concepts and meanings. But Consciousness has no evolution, it is a continuity. Consciousness has " Always been here", I think will always be here. We can't see it, but we know its there, so it totally destroys this concept of not believing in things you can't see.

Listen, there was no big explosion in space, and even IF there was, Consciousness was here before that. Consciousness was not birthed by the great nothing of theory. It is far greater than the nothing!

And I want to show you just how great it is.

Peace.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM

912 posts, read 827,472 times
Quote:
Well I'll get to the summation much later, but to answer your question, the bottom line is the " Orgin of Consciousness." We need to truthfully comprehend the orgin of Consciousness. Many here just " Love Evolution", its concepts and meanings. But Consciousness has no evolution, it is a continuity. Consciousness has " Always been here", I think will always be here. We can't see it, but we know its there, so it totally destroys this concept of not believing in things you can't see.

Listen, there was no big explosion in space, and even IF there was, Consciousness was here before that. Consciousness was not birthed by the great nothing of theory. It is far greater than the nothing!

Peace.
If I understand, consciousness we interpet in animals is not the same as in human since Adam. If thats the case,I would suggest a new word for it
ultra-consciousness , can be suggested. It seems you are in comprehension of additional dimension, in your opinions. This would need to be defined to
try and understand the theory. Rather than a bunch of what about this , what about that...maybe an itemized list showing chief contrast in ....
suggested..ultra-consciousness..vrs consciousness..and use Nezlie
standard for general consciousness.........otherwise we will need a new dictionary.....does this make sense ? it would be an ordered key, in which to continue constructively

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:

Peace.
Consciousness is a product of the brain. Without a brain you don't have consciousness.

The facets and qualities of our consciousness are completely controlled by our brain, and defects in the brain will result in defects in the consciousness.

The concept of a God does nothing to explain consciousness. It is neither necessary or sufficient to produce consciousness. It is an irrelevant variable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy