Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm really talking about the inside of our bodies. It's all mushy and red and yellow, it's just so nasty in my opinion. It's not the blood or the bones that bother me, it's how the organs, muscles, fat etc look. I just find it so disturbing and depressing that even the most beautiful woman looks so hideous and frightening on the inside and that every person I look at physically speaking looks like a monster or a zombie under their skin.

If there is a God why did he make our bodies with such disgusting materials rather than just say filling them with water or fluff or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
How, exactly, would we respirate, digest, eliminate and perambulate all filled up with fluff?

My next thought was to contemplate how you must not work in medicine, or a slaughterhouse, or hunt.

Unless you happen to witness horrific trauma or major surgery, you don't have to see the internal workings.

I suggest that when you can't stop thinking about this kind of thing, try and focus on the incredible complexity of what those mushy red organs do. Do you struggle to keep your mind off of this when speaking to people, or is it simply an occasional thought?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

I suggest that when you can't stop thinking about this kind of thing, try and focus on the incredible complexity of what those mushy red organs do. Do you struggle to keep your mind off of this when speaking to people, or is it simply an occasional thought?

I usually don't think about it but sometimes I'll see something or read something and it will bother me for a long time.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Beauty is not a universal constant. People regard other people, by superficial appearance, as "beautiful" because every species must (survival mechanism) be able to recognize other members of the species and be attracted to their characteristics in order to procreate the species.

Take hair, for example. Humans have hair growing off them and nothing is more disgusting or frightening than a person who has hair in the wrong places. The correctness of hair in certain places on a human has socially evolved as an attraction, so much so as the development of a huge industry dedicated to care and fashion of hair in some body areas and removal of it in others. Yet it is disgusting to find one in a biscuit.

Really, the inside of body cavities are not much different from the inside of one's mouth, yet you probably don't mind sticking your tongue in somebody else's, if you find the rest of their exterior body to be sufficiently attractive.

There is no God, so the answer to the OP's last question is moot.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-04-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I think it has to do with a lot of reasons...why the OP is "offended" by the organs.

1. Is lack of knowledge.

2. Is a biological drive/thought process to keep those things inside and not outside of the body.

3. What jtur88 said.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
He's obviously in the process of evolving away from like biological entities. Very natural, nothing to be weary about. There are many millions of years to go before even the light-some era where only some biology will be remaining in the being. Organs will become smaller , some dormant followed by little to no use as the appendix. Gradually, gracefully..gravity and temperature will place less of a role but not before fundamental change in the species metabolism which will open the door toward a greater longevity. Not long from now, cold temperatures will be used for medicinal purpose's , healing in other words however the body as it is now, is not ready as of yet.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
I don't get it. I like me the way I am. I like sex, I like eating and drinking, I even like taking a good dump. There is nothing gross about it unless you make it gross (and, truth be told, I have a suspicion this thread is something of a joke).

If I cut myself, I bleed. Blood is a fascinating stuff, and really beautiful, especially when you understand its life-sustaining function.

Yes, I don't like the effects of time on my body, but only because I don't want to die, and seeing the signs of age put one in mind of this. Age otherwise is also beautiful.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If there is a God why did he make our bodies with such disgusting materials rather than just say filling them with water or fluff or something?
I find the insides of the human bodies make my queasy too but there's a physiological and evolutionary explanation for the composition it has.

Because during the preliminary and critical design reviews and the subsequent function and physical configuration audits, it was decided that blood and guts was more economical and more functional than water and fluff.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It only makes me queasy if I can see it. What is disgusting is organs outside their natural context which is within the body.

Try eating kidney pies with the big chunks. Maybe take a butchery course. Numb yourself to the realities of anatomy.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
This post is freaking bizarre.

Anyway god didn't make us pretty inside because either there isn't a god who made us or he/she/it made us by evolving humans out of other earlier animals.

Human bodies follow the typical patterns of life on this planet. Our insides look pretty much what every other animal looks like inside.

We are natural life that is evolved from other life and we are that way because that's what has worked for millions of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy