Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Einstein's Theory of Relativity simplified:

If you're 2 years old and your parents say to wait until you're 3 for a tricycle, that's half your life as you measure time.

But if you're 80, a year flies by because it's only 1/80th of your life.

Time is relative to the observer.
I don't know, I think once you reach about 15 or so you more or less enter 'adult time'. I found 2011 and 2012 actually seemed to pass more slowly than 2008, 2009 or 2010, and I'm in my early to mid 20s right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I often think of this when I see an old Volkswagen bug or hippie van on the road from the 1960s. Is time real? Or is it merely in our heads? Is New York City today a different place from the New York of 50 years ago in actuality.

I think time is real but in a totally different way from how we perceive it. I think all times co-exist simultaneously but we're only capable of perceiving a small chunk of time (I've heard 3 seconds) at any given 'moment'.
Time is relative to the observer, just as Einstein said. In that way, it doesn't exist apart from a mind that is keeping time. The passage of centuries on Earth would be irrelevant to somebody crossing the galaxy in a space ship at light speed.

Likewise our individual perceptions of the passage of time are highly variable. The only thing that keeps us constant is the constant rate of our planet's spin and orbit around the sun.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Einstein's Theory of Relativity simplified:

If you're 2 years old and your parents say to wait until you're 3 for a tricycle, that's half your life as you measure time.

But if you're 80, a year flies by because it's only 1/80th of your life.

Time is relative to the observer.
My sister is 6 years older than I am, so when I was one, she was seven times my age. When I was 2, she was only 4 times my age. When I was 6, she was twice my age. When will we be the same age?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My sister is 6 years older than I am, so when I was one, she was seven times my age. When I was 2, she was only 4 times my age. When I was 6, she was twice my age. When will we be the same age?
When you're both dead? lol

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ahhh, the old chestnut that is Zeno's Paradox.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
It seems obvious to me that the past and the future are separated and do not overlap and can be identified as such. Every object in the universe has experienced past events, and shows the scars from it, which do not go away for a long time or forever. But none of them show the effects of future events, which they have not yet experienced.

Consider a tree that you carved your initials in. They are still visible in the trunk because it was a past event, which remains forever into the future bearing evidence of a past event.

You can argue that the universe was created an infinitesimal time ago, and we were all just created, furnished with a set of memories that we think are a past reality and we are doomed to blink back out again in another infinitesimal time. But that is conjectural, with absolutely no shred of evidence that would suggest it to be true. The present is of zero duration, so if neither the past nor the future exist, then nothing exists, in time nor in space.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM

283 posts, read 508,375 times
Oh, time is real all-right. One look in the mirror at those gray hairs at my temple tell me that.

But seriously, don't get caught-up in all the metaphysical and theoretical physics postulations that time is only real to us, becaue we can only perceive it in a "linear" fashion. That's gobbledygook.
Time IS linear. Time is merely the passage of events. You went to the store yesterday and bought some milk? Drank it this morning with breakfast? That's the passage of time.
Also please note that all that "wormhole" talk the cosmologists do about possible ways to circumvent time is, at this point in time at least (no pun intended) fanciful theorizing, thus on par with science fiction.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,187 times
Time does not exist.
It is just a man-made measurment tool to cope with a begining and a end.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 779 times
I think time in real...Everything changed with the passage of time...

Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM

283 posts, read 508,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Time does not exist.
It is just a man-made measurment tool to cope with a begining and a end.
Wrong.

Time is a natural occurence and certainly not manmade.

Sure, Man has invented ways of measuring time, with clocks and calendars and such. But time would continue to pass as it always has even if there was no Man around to measure it--and to debate its existence!
Take the dinosaurs: they did not measure time. Yet, after being around for millions of years they were exterminated some 65 million years ago. If time was merely an "invented" concept by Man, as you claim, they would still be around. There would be no such thing as history.
If you think the fact that we have invented ways of measuring time has negated the whole concept of time, look at it this way: revolutions around the Sun. Instead of saying something happened "ten years ago" you could just say it happened "365 Earth orbits around the Sun" ago.
The earth orbiting and rotating denotes time. (Many pagan societies of old in fact did use the seasons and the sun and moon to mark the passage of time.)
SO....in summary, denying the existence of time is akin to denying the movement of the planets, especially that of the Earth around our star.
Or are ya gonna deny THAT too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy