Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Not really. If you're trepidatious about having kids, then think of it as going on a roller coaster. You may be scared to go on the coaster but once you've experienced the ups and downs, turns and twists, you're glad you've done it, but then they'll come a time when you don't want to get on that coaster ever again. For some folks, it's one kid; for others, ten kids.
For me personally, it is ZERO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
Foster care is a good form of birth-control.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 AM

260 posts, read 337,789 times
There are several reasons.

My own mother made it seem like being a parent was a drag and got in the way of what she really wanted to do in life. That didn't stop her from living the life she wanted - without me. She worked full time, went out with friends or on dates (she was divorced) and went on week long vacations without me. She made it clear that having me around was a burden and got no enjoyment out of the relationship. She really made my childhood unhappy. This was my role model of how to be a parent and I thought that I did not want to be as miserable as she was because of having a child.

I also don't have much extended family (nor does my husband) so I would have little support and guidance in helping raise any kids. Me and my husband would be on our own.

I did not want to be pregnant. I am not good with blood and gore and pain and I don't like to visit doctors unless absolutely necessary. I have 2 friends who nearly died in childbirth and that confirmed my fears of giving birth. That would still leave adoption for me or step parenting, if I felt the need to be maternal but...

I don't find most things about raising children enjoyable. It's just not something I am interested in doing. Just as I am not interested in being a dentist, a lawyer or financial analyst, I am not interested in being a parent. Why do it then?

I love animals though and so my husband and I can devote our free time and money to animal rescue activities, and to feeling financially secure in our retirement - in the future.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
An is there an event in your life that has made you never want children?

My obgyn rotation. After that, I was like, "I am NOT doing that!"

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
. Sitting at boring soccer games or second-grade dance performances or listening to shrieks of "Look at me" at the beach. Listening to constant child babble or childhood videos or music over and over. .
I would totally agree. Snore fest. But I have been majorly surprised at how everything my kid does totally fascinates me.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes. But.
The thread is aimed at people who do not want children- notice the title. I never post on the parenting forum unless it is something related to mental health, where I do have experience (and usually DM someone rather than post) or when it is a thread about whether or not to have children or something like that, where it is appropriate for non-parents to participate. I also usually out myself as a non-parent-by-choice and thank the forum for allowng me to post.
I suggest a refreshing review of the title of the thread.
People who complain about children, put down parents, or whatever your thing is, who are then drawn to parenting forums have something else going on with them. There's no other way to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Don't get your panties in a twist. This forum isn't restricted to parents only.
See above. None of you are in a position to assume the experiences, feelings, or thoughts of another human being- independent of the topic. It's absurd. That anyone would even spend time in that space is something I cannot grasp. "Get a life" is what comes to mind for me.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
People who complain about children, put down parents, or whatever your thing is, who are then drawn to parenting forums have something else going on with them. There's no other way to see it.

See above. None of you are in a position to assume the experiences, feelings, or thoughts of another human being- independent of the topic. It's absurd. That anyone would even spend time in that space is something I cannot grasp. "Get a life" is what comes to mind for me.
I'd have to agree. This topic would be a psychologists delight.

"I don't want kids, I hate kids, I despise parents.....ooh I know, I'll hang out in Parenting forums all day". Funny, weird, peculiar.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well then, I see where your shortcomings lie.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well then, I see where your shortcomings lie.
Right. I think it's terrible that people come to the parenting forums to put down parents, put down kids, and generally insult, but it's about my shortcomings. Okay.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I scan a number of forums where I don't post to see if there's anything of interest. For instance, I am not a doomsday prepper but I am curious about what people say there, sometimes. As a vociferous childfree person, I scan the parent forum for any threads, as I said, that relate to non-parents; just as this one is addressed. I fail to see hate and bias against parents in my posts and in most from non-parents. For the peace of the group, I think I'm finished responding to this one particular poster as I think we've both said the same thing more than once and it's apparently not sinking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy