Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
LOL
wow, with that kind of thinking/"logic", you and your kind will not get anywhere.
you have made at least 3 false assumptions in your short 3 liner up top.

it's a shame....
'my kind' would implore you to answer the questions.

how does 'your kind' respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
well then, you think you'd be a better god than God?

It doesn't matter if 'i' would be a better or worse god than your imaginary god. Makes no difference. none.

when was the last time you created a universe?

i haven't created a universe. Ever!
(see how stupid these questions are? hence me not wanting to bother answering them.)

whose prayers have you answered recently?

I don't answer prayers. I do not live in a fairy tale.
Quote:
'my kind' would implore you to answer the questions.

how does 'your kind' respond?

Sure....i'll respond to your silly questions...if you insist.

See above....in RED!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
OP, how about "how does a just gawd allow raping of children"?
He either can't stop it or doesn't care enough to do so....and instead says "ill wait until you're done raping the kid then ill punish you"!
As someone once put it: that's the difference berween me and your gawd. If I could stop a child from getting raped I would!

(considering a gawd does not exist, the above is entirely rhetorical :-)
Does the Problem of Evil/Suffering basically amount to an appeal to ignorance fallacy?: Philosophy Forums

too tired to go through it, it'll be covered in that thread, though, why your reasoning is off.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Does the Problem of Evil/Suffering basically amount to an appeal to ignorance fallacy?: Philosophy Forums

too tired to go through it, it'll be covered in that thread, though, why your reasoning is off.
interesting......that thread actually supports what i wrote.
thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM

It's funny how we can see the same thing but come to different conclusions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMorales626

1. The atheist claims that there is a contradiction between divine omnipotence/omnibenevolence and the existence of suffering/evil.

2. A theist (like me) asks, "Why do you say so?"

3. Thea atheist responds with, "Well, an omnibenevolent God would want to eliminate all/some existing evil."

4. The theist responds with, "Why do you think so?"

At this point, if the atheist responds with something that amounts to, "Well, show my why he WOULD have a morally acceptable reason to allow evil/suffering", then he's illegitimately engaging in burden shifting. If he's going to claim that a morally perfect God has the moral obligation to eliminate evil, then he has the burden to defend such a claim, and his failure to know of such a reason does not count as evidence that there is no such morally acceptable reason. To assume otherwise would be a case of an appeal to ignorance fallacy. As much a fallacy as an intelligent design proponent looking at some feature of some organism and demanding to know how that could possibly have evolved by unintelligent means and if the biologist fails to adequately answer, declaring, "Aha! So there is no good explanation!"

If the atheist cannot give good reason why someone should assume that a morally perfect supreme being creator of the universe has a moral obligation to eliminate some or all existing evil, then his problem of evil argument fails, since he's provided no good reason why anyone should accept a key premise of his.

There's nothing circular or of an appeal to ignorance in asking for reasons to justify a key premise to an argument. I'm not claiming that there has to be a morally justifiable reason for God allowing evil. I'm just asking the proponent of the POE to justify his assumption that there isn't one. If he can't, his argument simply fails.

source: Does the Problem of Evil/Suffering basically amount to an appeal to ignorance fallacy?: Philosophy Forums

post #82

(not my work, but i'd agree)

Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It's funny how we can see the same thing but come to different conclusions...

source: Does the Problem of Evil/Suffering basically amount to an appeal to ignorance fallacy?: Philosophy Forums

post #82

(not my work, but i'd agree)
oh, sorry, the above was so stupid that my brain just categorized it in the 'nonsense' category.........

A 'good' god would prevent someone raping a child because that's the 'right' thing to do.....and if you need any further explanation, then you're a sick individual who doesn't deserve to be grouped in with the rest of humanity.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
oh, sorry, the above was so stupid that my brain just categorized it in the 'nonsense' category.........

A 'good' god would prevent someone raping a child because that's the 'right' thing to do.....and if you need any further explanation, then you're a sick individual who doesn't deserve to be grouped in with the rest of humanity.
I won't further my case because 1) You seem to understand it 2) You're resorting to personal attacks 3) You don't seem willing to be swayed.

You're wasting my time.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I won't further my case because 1) You seem to understand it 2) You're resorting to personal attacks 3) You don't seem willing to be swayed.

You're wasting my time.
no, it's not a personal attack. if you took it that way, you're mistaken.
i meant 'you' as in 'anyone'.
and no, i don't understand your point because your point/logic is flawed at best.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
God is not a human being and does not function in human ways...He is totally fair and loves the wicked as well as the good...There is no judgment or justification in the core of God...we are in comparison less than germs as far as God is concerned, Why would God bother judging mere bacteria? It is mankind that is punitive and judgmental or attempts to justify things...GOD created man then stood back and gave us a curious glance and left...You can try to call him....sometimes he picks up the phone other times he ceases to exist and is relaxing,.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
God is not a human being and does not function in human ways...He is totally fair and loves the wicked as well as the good...There is no judgment or justification in the core of God...we are in comparison less than germs as far as God is concerned, Why would God bother judging mere bacteria? It is mankind that is punitive and judgmental or attempts to justify things...GOD created man then stood back and gave us a curious glance and left...You can try to call him....sometimes he picks up the phone other times he ceases to exist and is relaxing,.
and you know all of this...how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy