Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Okay. Now I get the real picture of the author of this thread. I now have an idea also of the age and maturity level we are dealing with. It makes sense!

Your response is a very juvenile one! Since when do nursing pads or bras get labeled that way? Nursing a child is one of the most loving, natural, and healthy things a woman can do for her baby. It is also a great need and want in an infant's life. To equip a mother and infant with such items is neither gross or tacky! To think so says a lot about YOU.

I think it's now time to grow up.
That's exactly what I was thinking when reading that post you quoted. She is either a troll or a teenage boy or girl about 16 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,173,176 times
Every baby deserves there own welcoming committee/ baby shower/ name ceremony/ celebration of new life.
Every pregnancy and every baby is unique! They can be the same gender and nine months apart and I am still honored to share a gift and glad tidings for the new little one and the creation of a new family.

PEACE ON EARTH BEGINS WITH BIRTH

If I don't no the guest of honor to terrible well I skip the gathering yet still forward a gift card. If the people are near and dear I will even bring a dish for the freezer in addition to my presence and present. It's an opportunity to share, plant a seed and nurture the hope for a better tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I was reading a thread in another part of the forum. It reminds me of a practice that's common here. That's parents putting diapers on the registry. Another poster from my area said people they know put baby formula on the registry. Doesn't that seem tacky? I mean, being a parent means being responsible. I don't have any children. Why should have to buy your children diapers that might not even fit them? What's next? A college fund being on the registry?
I think it's actually quite responsible to put necessities rather than luxuries and superfluities on a gift registry. That shows an awareness of the nuts-and-bolts responsibilities of parenting, and probably an awareness of the financial realities of the parents.

Buy them a couple packages of newborn Huggies and get over it.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
Every baby deserves there own welcoming committee/ baby shower/ name ceremony/ celebration of new life.
Every pregnancy and every baby is unique! They can be the same gender and nine months apart and I am still honored to share a gift and glad tidings for the new little one and the creation of a new family.

PEACE ON EARTH BEGINS WITH BIRTH

If I don't no the guest of honor to terrible well I skip the gathering yet still forward a gift card. If the people are near and dear I will even bring a dish for the freezer in addition to my presence and present. It's an opportunity to share, plant a seed and nurture the hope for a better tomorrow.
I agree. That includes second, third, etc babies. I had a shower with my second. I had a totally different group of friends at that time, than I had with my first. I didn't need a lot, but some stuff does get consumed and/or worn out.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,173,176 times
Even if the parents didn't have need of stuff the baby is still aware of weather or not his/ her presence is welcomed and celebrated or just tolerated. I've attended births where mama and papa are in conflict and the baby just doesn't want to come out. Resolve your issues, celebrate the new life!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I was reading a thread in another part of the forum. It reminds me of a practice that's common here. That's parents putting diapers on the registry. Another poster from my area said people they know put baby formula on the registry. Doesn't that seem tacky? I mean, being a parent means being responsible. I don't have any children. Why should have to buy your children diapers that might not even fit them? What's next? A college fund being on the registry?
I think it is tacky. A registry is for those things that are not everyday necessities. That would be the equivalent of putting bread and milk and condoms on your wedding registry. Just no. All kinds of wrong.
If people want to get you diapers they will do so regardless of whether it is on your registry.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I think it is tacky. A registry is for those things that are not everyday necessities. That would be the equivalent of putting bread and milk and condoms on your wedding registry. Just no. All kinds of wrong.
If people want to get you diapers they will do so regardless of whether it is on your registry.
Seems to me that a registry is for whatever someone needs or wants. Maybe the social expectation is for it to be fun / frilly stuff. I applaud someone with enough self awareness, though, to say, hey, I'm dirt poor and I need diapers, a car seat and a stroller -- in that order. If you gave me a christening outfit I'd sell it on eBay for diapers. This isn't tacky, it's just realistic.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Seems to me that a registry is for whatever someone needs or wants. Maybe the social expectation is for it to be fun / frilly stuff. I applaud someone with enough self awareness, though, to say, hey, I'm dirt poor and I need diapers, a car seat and a stroller -- in that order. If you gave me a christening outfit I'd sell it on eBay for diapers. This isn't tacky, it's just realistic.
Good point.

Quote:
If you gave me a christening outfit I'd sell it on eBay for diapers. This isn't tacky, it's just realistic.
Far better to get someone a needed gift then frills and luxuries. Kind of like giving a Sterling silver serving set to a person you know needs a loaf of bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy