Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Even an atheist friend says," we are here to help others."
I would add to enjoy!!!

Life is but a dream...go merrily down the stream.
(Notice it doesn't say 'up the stream battling rapids'!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
If we are all going to die and fade into nonexistence and we assume there no after life and no god, just non existence. Like Before we were born. Then what's the point? How do we cope with this every second of the day fading away moment to moment into non existence?
Do we just replicate our genes and that's it?
Generally speaking it seems to me there is no afterlife.
How do we cope with finite life? I am having trouble accepting this. I get panic attacks about it
One minute I was a baby I remember my childhood well, then my teens, then 20's and now I'm 34 and it's going by quick, soon I will be old then I will die. Everyone will die. My dog will die.
It's happening to me so quickly. We are all in the same boat.
We could be killed at any point before old age.
Into nonexistence.
I am having trouble accepting this for some reason.
What do I do with my time here. I don't know anymore...
Wasted time is the only time you will regret at the end.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
No matter what you believe happens post-death, you need to acknowledge that your presence on this earth has an impact on others. A simple single kindness to a stranger may be a turning point in their life. They, in turn, pass a kindness on to another and so on.

You may not be remembered by name, but that isn't really necessary.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Quote:
Generally speaking it seems to me there is no afterlife
I agree. After death it's exactly like it was before you were born: nothingness. You felt no fear or emotion then, why have it after death?

Quote:
Do we just replicate our genes and that's it?
And billions of people are wise enough never to even do that.

Why would you want eternal life? To me that's narcissism. The lesson from all this is live life completely, or as completely as you can.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
Life is. What life means is unanswerable.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM

86 posts, read 78,843 times
“Let not your heart be troubled; (IF) you believe in God, believe also in Me (Jesus). In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. ..

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,675 times
I think for me when discussing the afterlife, trying to figure out the miracles of the brain versus the supernatural is the hard part. There is so much we don't know about the brain and how it works.

I also think that death is suppose to be a mystery. If there are other intelligent civilizations in the Universe that are far more advanced than we are, I would bet they are still asking the same questions.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
If we are all going to die and fade into nonexistence and we assume there no after life and no god, just non existence. Like Before we were born. Then what's the point? How do we cope with this every second of the day fading away moment to moment into non existence?.
And clearly that's why people turn to religions -- because they can't accept the existential reality of life: that this is all there is. There's nothng beyond this. There is no purpose or meaning to life. We're born, we live, and we can die unexpectedly at any point of our lives. We're no different than other animals or plants in that respect.

People generally can't accept that, and therefore that's why they latch onto the belief that there's a "higher power" watching over them, and that there's an afterlife, etc.

If you think about it, believing in an afterlife is just plain stupid. You live to be 80 years old and then you die only to end up "living" again eternally in an afterlife? That's just ridiculous and stupid. It goes to show that people can't accept that it ends when it ends.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
I have trouble with the concept of death and nonexistence. I can't wrap my brain around it and it happens to us all. I am trying to figure out how to live the best life with this uncertainty

You hit it right on.

The biggest proof to YOU not being mortal is inability to possibly imagine your-SELF non existent.
Try. You'll fail. Reason being, one that is eternal can NOT imagine it-Self not BEING.

OP, you seriously need to read Thinking and Destiny by Percival. You will have all answers to all questions torturing you.

But I am glad you entered The Path. As it all starts with the right questions. Then desire to find answers develops. Then answers come. Then enlightenment follows.

Be well, Friend.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You hit it right on.

The biggest proof to YOU not being mortal is inability to possibly imagine your-SELF non existent.
Try. You'll fail. Reason being, one that is eternal can NOT imagine it-Self not BEING.

OP, you seriously need to read Thinking and Destiny by Percival. You will have all answers to all questions torturing you.

But I am glad you entered The Path. As it all starts with the right questions. Then desire to find answers develops. Then answers come. Then enlightenment follows.

Be well, Friend.
Actually, the OP has a better grip on reality than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy